Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Changing the name of the game, vote inside! [POLL CLOSED, GAME RENAMED]

Which name do you prefer?

• Starfarer

• The Journey to Proxima Centauri

• The Pilgrims of Earth

Results are only viewable after voting.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Vault Dweller Exodus from Sol?

Star Pilgrims
Solar Pilgrims
Stellar Pilgrims
Centauri Pilgrim
Galactic Pilgrims
Sol's Pilgrims
Pilgrims Beyond
Pilgrim One - Stranded Orbit

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I assume it's the competition for worst possible name now so here are my entries:

Unfulfilled desire
Not another spaceship game
And then there were none aliens
Deep space penetrator

Or how about going the Gattaca route and naming it "Pro(xima)ce(ntauri)".

PrettyDeadman

Star Dweller(s), Space Dweller(s),
Space Vault, A Vault Among the Stars,
Star Picnic, Space Picnic, A picnic among the Stars.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Pilgrims on (a) Mission
Pilgrims of Faith
The Lost Pilgrims
Pilgrims of Starfarer
The Sons and Daughters of the First Pilgrims
edit: adding "PilgrimAge of Starfarer" + "Starfarer : The Great PilgrimAge"

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller You nailed my opinions in your OP.

Starfarer is way too generic. Journey to Proxima Centauri is a bit on the nose, and not only that, it's also kind of a mental mouthful. Agatha Featherbottom's Magical Mystical Ice Cream Murder Machine. Doesn't go down smooth.

The Pilgrims of Earth (with the "the")* is perfect. Even before I read your post I thought, "Man, that sounds like an Arthur C. Clarke novel."

*EDIT: Note that I wrote this even before I looked back at the thread and saw people criticizing the "the".

Trashos

Arcane
The Pilgrims of Earth: bad. It has religious connotation. It evoke the images that associate with pilgrims and settlers. In the end it give off a different image of the game.

Agreed. Misleads newcomers about the setting, and we are actually getting a cooler setting than ragged travelers with sticks.
Also, the word "pilgrim" sounds awful to me. llllllllgrrrrrrrr

Star Odyssey or Space Odyssey.

Kubrick beat you to it by 50 years.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think Pilgrims of Earth is almost a good name. But it would be better if the word "earth" is changed into two words that described the earth instead.

Pilgrims of the Dark Ocean?
Pilgrims of the Old World?
Pilgrims of the Aging Sun?

I don't really follow this game so I don't know what best described "earth" in the setting :M

boot

Prophet
Pilgrims of the Void is the best sounding name I saw thrown around.

Of the three in the poll voted Starfarer - but Pilgrims of the Void sounds way cooler.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The problem with (The) Pilgrims of the Earth is that it sounds like the long lost sequel to a Ken Follet
novel.

I love Bound, or Bound: A Colony Ship RPG. But Bound might sound too much like the name of a platformer.

More important, all of these hopeful titles that imply a sense of purpose are off the mark. We’re talking about a ship that has LOST its purpose. Do not click the spoiler tag unless you want to be very spoiled.

For fuck’s sake, the ship has already arrived at its destination and it sounds like none of its inhabitants even know!

From everything VD has said, this game is at least partially about social decay. We come in at the end of a long slide into barbarism. The Starfarer’s original inhabitants may have been pilgrims, but their descendants are the inheritors of a world they no longer understand. Meaning it’s a post apocalyptic colony ship RPG—not that they escaped and apocalypse, but they had one of their own—and that should be emphasized in the title. It’s like the fable of the scorpion and the frog.

Maybe someone who’s more poetic than I am can do something with a Lost/Tarnished/Squandered/Forgotten Inheritance or Legacy, or some better combination of synonyms.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Pilgrims of Tellus
I like it
:M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom