Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cheat Engine & Speed Hack

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What is it?

It is free software that makes it very simple for you to tweak, change, cheat, speed up, or slow down, almost any game on PC.

Ooh?

Take Skyrim for example, the unskippable introduction takes a long time to go through. With CheatEngine you can fast forward through the whole thing in 5 seconds. No mods needed. Then when you have to run a long distance sometime and there is no fast travel, and there is nothing going to attack you along the way, you can speed the game up and shave minutes off every journey you make. It adds up to huge amounts of time.

In turn based games, most of the time is spent watching the character animate slowly and move to wherever you select etc.. Then you do this multiple times for a party of 5, it takes ages. With CheatEngine it speeds up everything, animations and movement etc, the speed of the entire game. It speeds up enemy turns!

What about cheating?

You can use it for that too, sometimes it doesn't work but 90% of the time it does. I don't recommend cheating in any game because it usually spoils the experience for yourself. But sometimes a bug can ruin something in a game, a quest is supposed to give you an item but doesn't trigger or whatever. You can fix it with this software, and it's really easy to use.

Also sometimes I'm playing some Early Access indie jank that is super slow and grindy because they don't have much content... In those cases I might cheat to see the end before I uninstall. Nice to have the option!

Why is everyone not using it and talking about it?!

I don't know! Lets work together to raise awareness for the good of all humans!

https://www.cheatengine.org/

Last edited:

Gumsmith

Educated
My favorite bit of software for playing Sunless Skies/Seas, games which just take too long for you to go to places you've been before. Handy in Kenshi as well when all you're doing is waiting for dudes to heal.

I don't use it often, but I'm glad I have it when I do, would recommend.

Acrombus

Barely Literate
I used it as well for BattleChasers: Nightwar, to speed up the battles by 12.5%. It is quite useful for the speedup function, disregarding any cheating capabilities even. Watch out if you play online games though, as I think anti-cheat systems they use will search for and detect this, possibly getting you banned even if you are not using it for that game.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I've found it (or rather the Linux equivalent Game Conqueror) useful for getting cheats in old games that are seemingly impossible without cheats. I suppose this is obvious to some, but you're better off starting by searching for all numbers, even if you actually know what the number is. You don't necessarily know if health or ammo is actually the number it says it is. (assuming it says it is) I know that RPGmaker does something like N * 2 + 1 instead of just the number. Naturally, for health bars and the ilk, its absolutely essential. I've noticed in DOSbox and other emulators, you tend to get a bit more noise as you approach the final number, keep that in mind when you're trying to get infinite health. I've also noticed at times that getting infinite health can be tricky this way, so there's probably something I'm missing.
Ultimately, its an invaluable tool. I've used it in the past to make seemingly impossible games possible, not easy, trust me. Other times its fun to just break a game. Its cool to turn shotguns, the two barrel kind where it just has a fast firing rate, but 2 shells into an automatic shotgun. If you just use it to play through games ordinarily, you're definitely not going to have as much fun.

deama

Prophet
Yeah I started using this myself when I first started playing neverwinter nights over a decade ago.
Several years ago I got the bright idea of using it on action games like dark souls, sekiro, gothic, diablo clones, rts games and sometimes fps games. For some reason it was quite a lot more enjoyable.

I remember at one point I just wasn't able to play one of the newer ass creed games, it was just too damn slow, but a nice 1.4x speedhack fixed it and was quite enjoyable at that point.

Man I wish you could use these on MMOs, some MMOs just outright love wasting your time.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Been using it for years, great program that makes tedious grinding and time wasting in sp games a thing of the past.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Imagine playing Neverwinter nights without speed hack, all that backtracking and massive levels...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People who rate these posts retarded are the real retards.

I used Cheat Engine for Underrail before Styg introduced a walking speed slider, because the default speed was just torturously slow. I stopped using it when he introduced that slider because now the x2 speedhack isn't necessary anymore.

There are many other games where increasing the speed removes frustration, or is absolutely necessary for enjoyment. Neverwinter Nights is an obvious case, it's one of the slowest games ever made and while I still find it mostly boring to play, at least it doesn't waste as much of my time anymore with a x3 speedhack active.
Some turn based games have needlessly long animations in combat, and no way to speed them up or skip them. Cheat Engine, speedhack x2 or x3, and bam the issue is solved. I think I used it for Divinity Original Sin 2 at x2 speed. I also used it for Lords of Xulima which has first person Might and Magic style combat, but it's slower than Might and Magic for some reason. Just slap a speedhack on and it flows much smoother.

This has nothing to do with having ADHD or being impatient, and it's not even a real cheat lmao. It's a tool to cut through annoyances that the developer should have fixed with an in-game setting.
Animation speed sliders should exist in turn based games. Many turn based games have it, some even allow you to skip animations entirely. Even the Total War games, which focus on the real time battles, allow you to speed up the animation speed of armies marching over the world map. There is no excuse for any turn based game to not offer you speed settings. If a turn based game has slow animations and offers no speed setting... Cheat Engine comes to the rescue. All it does is reduce the amount of time you spend watching the same repetitive animations over and over again.
Some games have really slow walking speeds and getting from one edge of the map to the other takes a long time. Underrail (pre-patch) and Neverwinter Nights are good examples of this. Especially when you backtrack it can become a massive annoyance. Cheat Engine reduces the amount of time you spend walking through an empty cave, and when you're back in town/in an enemy-infested dungeon, you can easily switch the speedhack back off again by the press of a hotkey.

Cheat Engine's speedhack is a godsend and allows us to fix stupid time-wasting game design decisions that shouldn't be a thing in the first place.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I think Drakensang: The Dark Eye and others of its ilk like the remake of PoR was made for CE's speedhack. All that backtracking or sloooow combat/walking speed broke the will of many a cRPG player back then. I wish Cheat Engine had a special dll file of its speed hack that you could just drop into your game directory instead of running and using the cumbersome CE UI. There was a 32-bit dll speedhack that you could just drop into a game's directory but what's awesome about CE's is that it works with 64-bit games too.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah. I probably would agreed with them up until about 2001.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom