Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Cheating

1. Do you guys use cheats/trainers/cheating device in video games, I mean - without destroying fun?
2. Despite fact that today's games are mostly easy, implemented cheats have nearly extinct, why is that?

So far I remember such cases:

1. Finished Contra with 99 lives (every kid I know did it that way, way too hard).
2. Mask of the Betrayer - to remove that annoying hunger shit.
3. Drakengard - maxed every item with Code Breaker? Action Replay? to reach every ending easily without horrible grinding.
4. WizGold - used Party Rester app
5. If I especially like certain weapon I use adding ammo commands like e.g. in Q2:The Reckoning for my fav gun - Ion Ripper.

And now I'm strongly tempted to use cheats in Wiz5, Phantom Pain and FF5 to finally finish and get rid of them.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
ctrl+shift+c motherlode when playing the sims because the game doesn't let me take loans like IRL.

Cael

Arcane
1. Do you guys use cheats/trainers/cheating device in video games, I mean - without destroying fun?
2. Despite fact that today's games are mostly easy, implemented cheats have nearly extinct, why is that?

So far I remember such cases:

1. Finished Contra with 99 lives (every kid I know did it that way, way too hard).
2. Mask of the Betrayer - to remove that annoying hunger shit.
3. Drakengard - maxed every item with Code Breaker? Action Replay? to reach every ending easily without horrible grinding.
4. WizGold - used Party Rester app
5. If I especially like certain weapon I use adding ammo commands like e.g. in Q2:The Reckoning for my fav gun - Ion Ripper.

And now I'm strongly tempted to use cheats in Wiz5, Phantom Pain and FF5 to finally finish and get rid of them.
1. Not on the first playthrough. After that, I tend to muck around with things for fun.
2. Because modern games come with their own cheats built in.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Never used party rester in my Wiz7 playthrough, WizFast for Wiz8 on the other hand....
I use CheatEngine for his speedhacks (almost mandatory for Inquisitor game) and to give myself money/resources to avoid shit side missions/grind.

PS. I already posted about CheatEngine on this forum, at least three times. You should upgrade your search-fu.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Fun topic :)

I cheated all the fucking time when I was a kid, 99 lives code in Contra, god mode in every FPS.

Once I got a little older (around high school age), I decided that cheating was just robbing myself of what makes good games fun: the challenge of figuring it out and getting good.

Sometimes it can be a lot of fun to go back and cheat your way to invincibility, but I had 100x more fun getting through Doom, Duke 3d, and Blood without cheats :)

I'm still working on getting through Contra NES with a single credit though!

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I tried cheating through MotB to play the "story mode", but even then it was horrendous and I couldn't handle it for more than 1 hour.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Cheats aren't extinct, they're being sold as soft cheating DLC. Soft cheats masquerade as legitimate content so you can't tell it's going to ruin your experience until it's too late. Kingdom Come's Treasures of the Past DLC or Fallout: NV's cumulative add-on packs spring to mind.

Cael

Arcane
Cheats aren't extinct, they're being sold as soft cheating DLC. Soft cheats masquerade as legitimate content so you can't tell it's going to ruin your experience until it's too late. Kingdom Come's Treasures of the Past DLC or Fallout: NV's cumulative add-on packs spring to mind.
Even DA:O's DLC put in items that were far more powerful than what you can get in the base game. Starfang was the equivalent of a material that doesn't even exist until Awakening. Let's not even talk about the Seer robes and that cudgel of 1000+ gold...

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Sometimes I use a save editor in Wiz 8 to cut repetetive bishop training short. For example when charming Burz, I'll edit 50 mental and 30 psionics. Protects my sanity and my carpal tunnels.

Beastro

Arcane
"Back in the day" I avoided cheats until I'd largely finished doing stuff in a game, then used em to dick around. Otherwise I mainly used them for games I didnt care for that I couldn't get far into, like using GameShark to mess around with Resident Evil 2 and enjoy all the guns.

Main thing I "cheat" on are Paradox games to force the AI to do things they otherwise wouldn't do in order to make the game more interesting, especially when it comes to territorial acquisitions. To do that is using a combo of the console commands and save game editing.

For a long time I got sick of their games devolving down to painting the map, this allows for some interesting stuff and to eventually pick an underdog nation to play in a neat setting.

A good example of this is how overpowered Germany is in Victoria 2 and how railroaded the game is to producing it while the AI never forms the Southern German Federation. Instead I mess with the Germanies to produce Southern and Northern German Confederations that act as a counter to each while remaining both powerful Great Powers in their own right (As well, I tinker with the decision file and saves to make the Danubian Federation form often, too).

Same goes for giving nations tons of money and going through their uniting ordering for them to build remotely proper units and actual navies, since I long got sick of how long ships of the line and frigates stick around being used.

In CK2 I'd edit things to produce famous dynasties and rulers around when they'd begin to avoid early starts being nothing but randomly generated shit.

I honestly can't play Paradox games without this sort of thing and haven't for a long while. Without it the typical "history" that unfolds in every game is bland and all the same.

Used CheatEngine with Underrail to eliminate the carry weight to cut down on tedium and running back and forth. Use the console if a game allows it to do the same to grab all the loot I can before heading back to a store to sell it rather than make several trips, just gotta avoid fighting to keep it clean. I find this a must with games like the TES ones.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
I have used save editing when a game fatally crashes and corrupts a save file or something.

These days if something like that happens, I just watch the ending on youtube.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Even when I was a kid I had zero inclination to cheat. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I'd rather just be on my phone while I'm doing something tedious.

typical user

Arbiter

1. That depends. In GTA you get cool cheats like flying or swimming cars, pedestrian rampages or cars that want to run you over on purpose or exploding melee attacks. Or you just use console to fix broken stuff.

2. People make trainers anyway, you need to test those features plus most of the time cheats are present for real money - like speedboosters / progress hacks or OP gear.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is nothing wrong with using cheats in single player games.

Sometimes I used them, after finishing a game without them, just to fuck around. But that gets boring fast since personally the moment the game stops to be challenging I lose interest.

Then again cheating in Mass Effect 2 to avoid mining planets minigame I do find mandatory.

Also people who use cheats in multiplayer games can burn in Hell, I stopped playing Company of Heroes after it got infested by hackers.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have severe OCD, so I used to tend to grind a lot to max out my characters in any game with endless resources (aka infinite respawns) and advancement (it used to be RPG only before, but it has spread to most games nowadays).
Now I don't have any second thought on cheating if there is no downside to grinding (that is, if there are infinitely respawning trivial mobs that keep on giving XP), or sometimes, to simulate buying the cheating DLC.
I mostly do this through cheatengine.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
I like to mod games the way I like them best. Many people (especially the ones that don't know how to do that) think that is cheating.

I only play single-player games.

Older cheats felt more like disguised debug tools, I think it makes sense for them to go away and be replaced by unlockables now that the internet gives instant (and free) access to all of a game's secrets. When they aren't, sometimes games will encourage honest playthroughs disabling achievements if you use a code.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I use "quicksave" on old console games when I revisit them on emulators, because I'm there for a nostalgia trip and not to actually play them.

Can't think of any other examples really. I mostly play RPGs and adventure games which don't really lend themselves to in-game cheats. I might look up an adventure game puzzle solution if I am stuck for way too long. On the rare occasion I play a pure FPS and it gets frustratingly hard I might put the difficulty down to easy just to get it over with.

mondblut

Arcane
Any outcome that can be achieved by repeating the same simple and undemanding action over a period of time is best achieved instantly.

Paradox games are particularly unplayable without cheating the fuck out of them. Watching Disk Defragmentation doing its work is more exciting than manually sending 100 divisions from one Brest to another, or waiting out for your 20 peace cooldowns to expire. It's like they intentionally implement things to make their games as boring as possible. Bad boy my ass.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Leveled in Dark Souls. You can beat the game without leveling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom