Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Cheating

vazha

Arcane
I only cheat in real life. Otherwise what's the point?:positive:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I used to resort to them, because my point of view was : "It's better to cheat on a game than give up on it". It was always what I would reply to people who said that spoiled the enjoyment of the game.

Well, nowadays, with a huge backlog of games I am taking a different approach. If I cannot beat a game legitimately, just try harder. And if that doesn't do the trick, admit that you lost this time, keep your savegame, and move on. There's plenty of other games. I'll just get back to it another time.

My life is pretty challenging at the moment, both as a new parent, investing myself in a new town and learning a new job, it's hurdles after hurdles, difficulty after difficulty ; I take comfort with the fact that games are challenges that I can decide to give up on, once in a while, without consequence or worries.

Yeah, well, changed my mind.

Turned god mode in Return to Castle Wolfenstein yesterday.

It made the game approximately 289323% more fun.

Wanted difficulty is always subject to mood and expectations. Adjustable difficulty in a game is a definitive plus. There are days you want a challenge. There are days you want fun. Sometimes both are incompatible. Spending 3 hours retrying the same turn based battle gets tedious after a while ? Fuck it and cheat it, you're not passing an exam.

Some people are going to say that's not the proper way to have fun. Fuck them.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I had to hex-edit my saves in one game to give myself an endless amount of gold because the version I was playing was a bad port that gave out too little of it. Later I realized that the bad port was also skimping on the XP rewards so I was not strong enough to face the endgame enemies. Hex-edit to the rescue once again.

In Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude I used a trainer to have the option to insta-win every mini-game I came across. I ended up using it all the time except for the one that was actually fun, the conversation-based one. That at least made the game enjoyable.

Otherwise I'm all for having the option to cheat in single-player games. Trying to git gud at the game first is pretty much a given as well, but sometimes circumstances don't allow for that.

At the end of the day these are games we're talking about. The goal is to have fun, whether that's gained by winning or cheating like a munchkin.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I had to hex-edit my saves in one game to give myself an endless amount of gold because the version I was playing was a bad port that gave out too little of it. Later I realized that the bad port was also skimping on the XP rewards so I was not strong enough to face the endgame enemies. Hex-edit to the rescue once again.

I wouldn't even consider that cheating. That's more like mods fixing it

deama

Prophet
I use cheat engine all the time to either change some stuff I don't like (increase exp gain, increase damage) or maybe even make the game harder. Ontop of the speedhack, which can end up making a game harder, or more fun to replay, like playing through assassin's creed games with speedhack is more fun.

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
I use cheat engine all the time to either change some stuff I don't like (increase exp gain, increase damage) or maybe even make the game harder. Ontop of the speedhack, which can end up making a game harder.
Well said. Sometimes using Cheat Engine can turn a game into a completely different one. Case in point - Prey's Mooncrash has a fantastic table that nullifies the artificial and annoying time-limit (forgot how it's called).

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Only after finishing the game once. After that it's mods, cheats and console commands galore.
Of course, not god more or anything like that just stuff that I feel should be or should have been in the game or the closest thing to it.
Even if I mod or cheat I still try not to stray from the designer's vision too much.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Only cheats I really remember using were when I was pretty young and I did cheats in FPS games like Doom and Heretic to get past parts I couldn't handle. I didn't use god modes though, I would just refill my health or add guns and ammo.

I've used noclip to get past glitches in games like Morrowind though, and used save files to unlock later levels in games I beat before but didn't keep my own save file for. I don't think those count though.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Cheating is fine, IMHO, after you've beaten the shit out of the game and can be certain you can't find anything new. I finally got the Lunar Silver Star hack up and running. Tested some neat shit you can't do and tried some crap in a few battles. Since it has been 20 years since I played that game of more (probably going on 30), I didn't mess with stuff I forgotten. I'll probably run through the entire game normally and play the later variant games to compare.

If i thoroughly played the game using the cheat then I'd be bored as fuck to bother with the game. I believe cheating from the beginning or when stuck is going to ruin your experience unless the game is so god damn fucking broken. Then, maybe cheating can help just so you can see the end and tell the dev.. FIX THIS SHIT! (If still around).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom