Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Chess

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by Minttunator, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Minttunator Arcane Patron

Minttunator
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    There didn't seem to be a proper thread in the board game forum for chess discussion. If you don't know what chess is, see this very helpful review:

Anyone following the ongoing world championship? The first two games have been a bit boring, but there is hope that Magnus will perhaps be more aggressive with White today.

Today's game starts in less than an hour: http://chennai2013.fide.com/

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Minttunator Arcane Patron

Minttunator
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    That's a very interesting variant - although I fear that if it doesn't get some prominent players promoting it, it may end up in the relative obscurity of most other chess variants.

^ Top  
  4. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Match so far is even more boring than Gelfand-Anand.

^ Top  
  5. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    The game today was another draw, but certainly not a boring one. Seems Anand is - again - very well prepared opening-wise. But I'm confident Magnus will pick up speed eventually and display why he has 90 points higher ELO rating than Anand. Go for the endgames Magnus and torment your opponent with one true Carlsen grind!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
  7. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Looked like a pretty shitty situation in that endgame against Chucky though, being two pawns down. The study like drawing line with c6 is nice though. However, Carlsen is probably one of the better endgame players, certainly not worse than Anand. But of course not on Kramniks level of endgame technique either.

^ Top  
  8. Minttunator Arcane Patron

Minttunator
    Yeah, today was definitely a much more entartaining game than the previous two! I'm also hoping to see a more persistent approach from Magnus (though, to be fair, he didn't have much choice regarding the draws in the first two games). Like today - he didn't accept the draw that I think Anand offered after move 40 and played until the theoretical draw.

I suppose age will also start playing more of a role as the match goes on, i.e. Anand might not have the energy for a 6-hour game in, say, game 11 or 12. Magnus, however, is the master of the grind, as you said - the way he ground down Radjabov in the Candidates Tournament was insane! :)

^ Top  
  9. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Carlsen's opening with white is crap so far. Anand could've won the game if he had played 34...Rf8 leading to game with only queens on board and pawn up.

Now to see whether Anand will play 1.e4 again.

^ Top  
  10. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Dunno, with the openings. It's easier to win a game from a good position than accepting a slightly worse position and hoping to outplay your opponent later but going for main theoretical lines might end you up in some Anand elite analysis and a forced loss. Instead Carlsen forces him to think for himself and despite achieving a better position, Anand doesn't play as accurate as an engine anyway. I guess, that's Carlsen's plan anyways. Besides, 33. ... Rf8 looks great, a nice engine move, but in that position Qb4 IS the natural (human) move, it was the first move that came to my mind as well, and the resulting endgame, despite black being a pawn up, is still pretty unclear imo.

^ Top  
  11. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    ^ Top  
  12. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    A Berlin wall today, is this more to your liking? White has some initiative but is a pawn down currently.

^ Top  
  13. Minttunator Arcane Patron

Minttunator
    Looks like another exiting game today - not a typical "boring" Berlin by any means. :)

^ Top  
  14. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    mkay so he activated one rook, wouldn't be surprised if he were to play a5, a4 next to activate the other

^ Top  
  15. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Anand seemingly blundered by letting the a2 pawn being captured.

^ Top  
  16. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    I dunno, given the initiative he obtained while still being within drawing region it rather seems like preparation. A lesser player than Carlsen might just have crumbled under the pressure. Nice game anyway.

^ Top  
  17. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    So, at first I thought: what a boring opening again with zero winning chances. Turned out the chances were not zero.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Minttunator Arcane Patron

Minttunator
    Finally a decisive game! :bounce:

Show Spoiler
    This puts a lot more pressure on Anand - we might see him take more risks now and hopefully we have more exciting games to look forward to! :)

^ Top  
  19. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Where's the Go thread?
    Show Spoiler
    :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. asper Arcane

asper
    Project: Eternity
    I started one a few years back, managed to even get three Codexers on KGS. The interest was short-lived, though.

^ Top  
  21. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Anand missed a draw when he played Rc1+ instead of Ra1.

After that it was probably still possible to draw but Anand is not a computer.

^ Top  
  22. Minttunator Arcane Patron

Minttunator
    Today's game is really heating up as well. It was heading for a draw but Anand slipped on move 60 and now Magnus has very good winning chances! :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Another endgame (rook ending!) grind ftw. The position I'm looking at now (after 67. ... Rg1) looks lost for Anand (but I don't have an engine running, so not 100% sure).

edit: In the meantime Anand resigned. Another blunder Ra4. Seems like Anand's tendency to play inaccurately the longer the game goes pays off for Carlsen. Everything according to plan!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    ^ Top  
  24. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Anand played like crap.

^ Top  
  25. Black_Willow Arcane

Black_Willow
    Hai guise I think there should be Legends of Chess: a MOBA game.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.