Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chess

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
There didn't seem to be a proper thread in the board game forum for chess discussion. If you don't know what chess is, see this very helpful review:

Anyone following the ongoing world championship? The first two games have been a bit boring, but there is hope that Magnus will perhaps be more aggressive with White today.

Today's game starts in less than an hour: http://chennai2013.fide.com/

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
That's a very interesting variant - although I fear that if it doesn't get some prominent players promoting it, it may end up in the relative obscurity of most other chess variants.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
The game today was another draw, but certainly not a boring one. Seems Anand is - again - very well prepared opening-wise. But I'm confident Magnus will pick up speed eventually and display why he has 90 points higher ELO rating than Anand. Go for the endgames Magnus and torment your opponent with one true Carlsen grind!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Looked like a pretty shitty situation in that endgame against Chucky though, being two pawns down. The study like drawing line with c6 is nice though. However, Carlsen is probably one of the better endgame players, certainly not worse than Anand. But of course not on Kramniks level of endgame technique either.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Go for the endgames Magnus and torment your opponent with one true Carlsen grind!

Yeah, today was definitely a much more entartaining game than the previous two! I'm also hoping to see a more persistent approach from Magnus (though, to be fair, he didn't have much choice regarding the draws in the first two games). Like today - he didn't accept the draw that I think Anand offered after move 40 and played until the theoretical draw.

I suppose age will also start playing more of a role as the match goes on, i.e. Anand might not have the energy for a 6-hour game in, say, game 11 or 12. Magnus, however, is the master of the grind, as you said - the way he ground down Radjabov in the Candidates Tournament was insane! :)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Carlsen's opening with white is crap so far. Anand could've won the game if he had played 34...Rf8 leading to game with only queens on board and pawn up.

Now to see whether Anand will play 1.e4 again.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Dunno, with the openings. It's easier to win a game from a good position than accepting a slightly worse position and hoping to outplay your opponent later but going for main theoretical lines might end you up in some Anand elite analysis and a forced loss. Instead Carlsen forces him to think for himself and despite achieving a better position, Anand doesn't play as accurate as an engine anyway. I guess, that's Carlsen's plan anyways. Besides, 33. ... Rf8 looks great, a nice engine move, but in that position Qb4 IS the natural (human) move, it was the first move that came to my mind as well, and the resulting endgame, despite black being a pawn up, is still pretty unclear imo.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I dunno, given the initiative he obtained while still being within drawing region it rather seems like preparation. A lesser player than Carlsen might just have crumbled under the pressure. Nice game anyway.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Finally a decisive game! :bounce:

This puts a lot more pressure on Anand - we might see him take more risks now and hopefully we have more exciting games to look forward to! :)

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I started one a few years back, managed to even get three Codexers on KGS. The interest was short-lived, though.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Anand missed a draw when he played Rc1+ instead of Ra1.

After that it was probably still possible to draw but Anand is not a computer.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Today's game is really heating up as well. It was heading for a draw but Anand slipped on move 60 and now Magnus has very good winning chances! :)

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Another endgame (rook ending!) grind ftw. The position I'm looking at now (after 67. ... Rg1) looks lost for Anand (but I don't have an engine running, so not 100% sure).

edit: In the meantime Anand resigned. Another blunder Ra4. Seems like Anand's tendency to play inaccurately the longer the game goes pays off for Carlsen. Everything according to plan!

Last edited:

Black_Willow

Arcane
Hai guise I think there should be Legends of Chess: a MOBA game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom