Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chess

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Pay attention to the wording, dawg. It's a "longest streak of split points to kick off a WC match".

It's what I like to call "American" records. Every time I watch NBA game they break some kind of record for "most points scored on a Monday between minute 4 and 5 during a full moon and cloudy weather with a chance of rain".

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Either way, record or no, this has been pretty lame to watch. I mean, if you are some kind of IM level expert then maaaybe you recognize chess mastery on the highest level with both sides neutralizing each other or whatever, but for mere mortals its lame. Even the GMs on commentary have called several of the games boring, so I am very sceptical when people react with 'omg you just don't understand chess well enough to enjoy this!' snobbery.

What makes it worthwhile is Grischuks funny commentary and even that fun has been spoiled since that fast talking autist Giri joined the team.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I don't judge the games but in interviews and press conferences Carlsen radiates so much negative energy, I sometimes wonder if he should play Chess at all.

He just seems tense, tired, annoyed and touchy.

Burning Bridges

Rumor hm. And when you ask him he would just roll his eyes and say "no" and then after a pause, looking at his shoes "I really don't understand the point of this question".

Burning Bridges

Rumor hm. And when you ask him he would just roll his eyes and say "no" and then after a pause, looking at his shoes "I really don't understand the point of this question".

He seems to be so much more at ease when just makes nonsense, like when he played against the Chess Hustlers without telling who he was.

Burning Bridges

Those guys simply do not make any mistakes.

Chess has reached a point where it is hard to get excitement out of it but that does not mean it's bad. In fact this has been the best World Championship in terms of not making mistakes.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Expected of course, altho it was amusing for a while to see the "psychological game" behind all of this - with all the speculation on Carlsen's nerves. Giri was just going off in a stream yesterday on this. As if this man ever had anything but nerves of steel ; augmented, no doubt.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Everyone who watched Carlsen play speed chess in the last couple of years and saw him destroy, not just defeat but utterly destroy everybody else, knew that Caruanas chances to win the tiebreak were close to zero.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Deserved win to Magnus.
Looks like Caruana is all about computing variants, and no creativity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom