Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Chess

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by Minttunator, Nov 12, 2013.

1. The_Sloth_Sleeps Learned

The_Sloth_Sleeps
    Not sure where you came up with this idea, or why you think that way. Perhaps you are a beginner and if so then yes, do chess tactical puzzles. Indeed some tactical training is essential for everyone, to avoid blunders.

Compared to your idea, my reasoning about training with puzzles is pretty well established, and perhaps better explained by someone else like GM Igor Smirnov https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments/2ha1ep/tactical_puzzles_do_they_help/

Theres other training methods that help develop calculation strength. I recommend something like this https://chessfox.com/improve-chess-tactics/

Anyway, there are some interesting studies done on chess calculation with some surprising findings (citation needed)!

^ Top  
  2. coldcrow Prophet Patron

coldcrow
    Okay, there is something of a language barrier and laziness in explanation on my part here.
    1st: I have around 2250 elo, so not really a beginner
    2nd: With "puzzles" I do not mean the usual stuff printed in books for ages. What is important is for example knowledge of motives and training in general thinking techniques (clear abstraction, no re-caclulating and so on and forth). For example Polgars 2 huge books (middlegames/endgames) contain a wealth of typical structures which are good study now and then.
    3rd: still doing puzzles now and then is exactly good for training calculation as a skill, which was my main point. To clearly picture variants in your mind and solve them in short time. That is a very valuable skill.

^ Top  
  3. The_Sloth_Sleeps Learned

The_Sloth_Sleeps
    I see. By "puzzles" I am referring to those on Chess.com and Lichess, just by doing loads and loads of these is not really all that great a way to improve.
    Often these puzzles are doing many dumb things like just for example, e.g. I make a move and get 4.7+ in position, but NO puzzle says theres a 5.2+ better move. This is really unrealistic way to learn.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus

:salute:

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus

:obviously:

Reminds me of Friday evening club games.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. coldcrow Prophet Patron

coldcrow
    Today's game was another shining example of his refusal to actually win more games. I mean, spending 1h in a known position on a logical move. WTF. This guy better not qualify, MC will just destroy him.

^ Top  
  7. Chunkyman Savant

Chunkyman
    Grischuk lost on tiebreaks in the 2012(?) Candidates and is 3-time Blitz World Champion, I think he's a lot more dangerous than people are giving him credit for even though he's drawn all of his games so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Syl Arbiter

Syl
    If you don't already know about it, I really like this channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AGADMATOR/videos

Short and yet in-depth analysis of games, by every known modern or historical players. Incredibly entertaining.

Over a thousand videos to enjoy. The playlists are also very well made.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    • :( :( x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. and 8 others Educated

and 8 others
    Holy shit, this banter blitz match between Carlsen and Firouzja was intense.

Firouzja is going to be a force to contend with in the coming years.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Shaewaroz Arcane

Shaewaroz
    In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
    Gotta start following this thread. Hello to all chess enthusiasts.

Started watching this guy's videos and got hooked to Chess.com. Another corona chess victim confirmed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. coldcrow Prophet Patron

coldcrow
    Finally a new talent who might be able to break into the top10 very early in his career.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    Did you go into the puzzles as complete beginner or did you have prior experience? How did you start at 800?

I'm currently trying to get into chess as a complete rookie. Reading Yasser Seirawans "Beginning Chess Tactics" right now, which does a good job teaching the basics of tactics as far as i can tell. I'm not even on 1k puzzle rating on chess.com though with about 200 puzzles tried.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    800 is probably the starter rating the site gives you. I have close to 2000 DWZ (deutsche wertzahl) which required years of study and practice to reach, so I'm definitely not a beginner.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Country_Gravy Arcane Patron

Country_Gravy
    Wasteland 2
    Keep at it, bro. Chess is great if you like to learn shit and compete. Even if you suck, it's still fun to keep getting better even in small increments. It's the best turn based combat ever invented.

Computers are starting to ruin it for the people that actually can attempt to solve the puzzle of the 64 squares. For you and me, we have infinite progress to make. It's awesome.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. grimace Erudite

grimace
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. IDtenT Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Got Chess Ultra in the Humble Monthly if anyone wants to game.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.