Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chess

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
What would guys say to some Codex Chess League? I'd work out some modus operandi, of course we would have to agree to fairplay, although I'd probably check random games for engine usage. 8-10 players minimum I'd say.
If it garners enough interest, I'll set something up.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
This is a pretty fascinating video exploring a hypothetical rules change. Seems like it's going to become a series.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is a pretty fascinating video exploring a hypothetical rules change. Seems like it's going to become a series.

I did never really consider the idea of changing the rules of chess. I expected more of the video however. Basically he only goes through situations where beating your own pieces would be cool instead of speculating on the impact of such a rule. I really would have liked to have stats on wether it increases/decreases the advantage that white has and the percentage of games that end in a draw. Also currently you heavily play for midgame checkmates while avoiding any losses in value to your best ability. Eating your own pawns would make mid game checkmates due to pawn walls much less frequent, and would perhaps lead to a more value focussed chess? Also does this make turnarounds where the leading player suddenly falls behind more or less likely? Currently chess has very few opportunities for those.

Still I would be heavily opposed to this change for a flavor reason. Chess is the game of kings, it is ment to simulate a very abstracted battlefield. You cant just kill your own unit in a charge on a battlefield to get into a more favourable position. That would lead to massive morale problems in your army.

Blowhard

Cipher
What would guys say to some Codex Chess League? I'd work out some modus operandi, of course we would have to agree to fairplay, although I'd probably check random games for engine usage. 8-10 players minimum I'd say.
If it garners enough interest, I'll set something up.

I'd love to, personally. Chess is basically all I do now, since ye old Wuhan Bat came to down.

spectre

Arcane
Yeah, Queen's Gambit is nice and all, but here's a bit from a local rip-off of Don Mateo.
0004ZGEBCM2H8R35-C122-F4.jpg

The fucker is so good, he already took three back-row pieces without even making a move.
He also plays black, so it's not even his turn to move.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, Queen's Gambit is nice and all, but here's a bit from a local rip-off of Don Mateo.

The fucker is so good, he already took three back-row pieces without even making a move.
It's called giving the opponent odds. In the 19th century it was common for masters to play without all of their pieces to give weak opponents a chance. They'd say "I'll give you rook odds" for example, which meant playing without one of the rooks. It's not generally done nowadays because people have a better understanding of chess theory. A weak amateur could probably beat Kasparov if he got to start a rook up.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's called giving the opponent odds. In the 19th century it was common for masters to play without all of their pieces to give weak opponents a chance. They'd say "I'll give you rook odds" for example, which meant playing without one of the rooks. It's not generally done nowadays because people have a better understanding of chess theory. A weak amateur could probably beat Kasparov if he got to start a rook up.

Interesting, that is still exactly the way it is done in Japanese Shogi. That said having less pieces than your opponent is much less of a death sentence in Shogi, since you have an odd system where you can deploy your opponents captured pieces, so trading 1v1 to enhance your advantage does nothing. It is nowhere near as miserable to play Shogi from behind since barely any games are decided by grinding out, and it is always about checkmate.

Doktor Best

Arcane
It's not generally done nowadays because people have a better understanding of chess theory. A weak amateur could probably beat Kasparov if he got to start a rook up.

Depends on what you consider a weak amateur. Naroditsky is coaching this moistcr1tikal youtuber guy currently and he often plays matches with odds far higher than just one rook and he still crushes most games.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's not generally done nowadays because people have a better understanding of chess theory. A weak amateur could probably beat Kasparov if he got to start a rook up.

Depends on what you consider a weak amateur. Naroditsky is coaching this moistcr1tikal youtuber guy currently and he often plays matches with odds far higher than just one rook and he still crushes most games.
Depends on time control also. Anything 5 minute or less, you can probably win by just hacking your opponent's king, material deficit or not. I'm not an incredible player by any stretch, but I think at 2 hours I'd be completely fine playing up a rook.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

That's not the case, because here the guy who should be giving the opponent odds is the one playing black, since he is the strongest player. Also, WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A POLISH DON MATTEO?!

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Yeah, the level of difference in chess skill is ridiculous. A player rated 100 points higher is generally about twice as good. Now realize that average rating for a Beginner is 1000 and the best players in the world are rated 2700+. I saw Nakamura solve tactics in a video. He was solving super complex stuff faster than I could find where the kings are in a position and I'm rated about 1500-1600 so not exactly a beginner.

Speaking of - anyone here highly rated that wouldn't mind giving advice on how to improve from my rating? Tactics definitely seem to hold me back as I'm much worse at fast games. But doing puzzles on Chess Tempo over and over does not seem to help.

Recently tried a spaced repetition course on chessable, but once I got to intermediate puzzles - half of them seem to be kicking my butt and so far I'm not really seeing myself solve them faster with repeated attempts.

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Recently tried a spaced repetition course on chessable, but once I got to intermediate puzzles - half of them seem to be kicking my butt and so far I'm not really seeing myself solve them faster with repeated attempts.
How long were you doing this? Have you considered reading old Chess books? Gitting gud takes a while.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How long were you doing this? Have you considered reading old Chess books? Gitting gud takes a while.

Been plateauing for years now. Chess Tempo's random puzzles for like 5 years on and off. Chessable thing has been like 3 months.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Been plateauing for years now. Chess Tempo's random puzzles for like 5 years on and off. Chessable thing has been like 3 months.
Then consider books. You could also try finding a mentor, maybe on chess.com?

Jigby

Augur
Read some book on pawn structures? The Mauricio Flores book as an example.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thanks for the advice guys. Will take a look. I tend to just got for Catalan for white and Karo-Cann or Semi-Slav for black. So never considered pawn structure as something to focus on - except for basic stuff like avoiding pawn islands/doubled pawns, etc.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Yeah, the level of difference in chess skill is ridiculous. A player rated 100 points higher is generally about twice as good.

Yes, that's what I noticed as well when playing against engines. A difference of 100 points is a completely new level, and 100 points lower is easy mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom