Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chess

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hey guys I got bitten by the chess bug recently, which has totally nothing to do with a certain shitty netflix show.
Anyways, if someone wants to leisurely beat up a scrub, consider adding me on chess.com (handle is b-t-c). I only play strangers there because all my real-life friends are too cool to play chess (just kidding haha. i have no real life friends)

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
This is a pretty fascinating video exploring a hypothetical rules change. Seems like it's going to become a series.

in school we sometimes played with self-taking, in order to get out of checkmates :lol:

but isn't it irony that the game still ends in a draw?

polo

Magister
Any tips on getting better? I started playing in january and im kind of stuck in 1150 in lichess rapid 1100 blitz. I constantly fuck up, and most of the times feel like i dont even know wtf im doing.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Any tips on getting better? I started playing in january and im kind of stuck in 1150 in lichess rapid 1100 blitz. I constantly fuck up, and most of the times feel like i dont even know wtf im doing.
Learn from your mistakes. Do daily puzzles. Read some books on strategy. Keep playing. One can become great at chess, but he will never master it.

Mustawd

Taught my stepson chess at 5. Kinda at a loss of where to go from here. He's 6 1/2 now. Chess club?

Blowhard

Cipher

If you are 1150 then do a lot of mating puzzles. Winning in a simulation will raise your confidence and help you formulate a plan. Intuitively you will want to bring these images to fruition in your own games. You will get an idea of what the game is about naturally and what you should be doing. Everything that follows is just a more sophisticated version of the same idea: Win the game! Studying tactics and strategy will help you arrive at a position where winning the game is more likely to occur, but if you can't actually win the game then none of that matters! It's all calculation, or more simply stated for our purposes here: clear visualization. I can't really remember what I was thinking back then but it was probably some fantasy land bullshit while I was getting checkmated in some utterly prosaic fashion real time. So concrete, down to earth, routine exercises like mates are the things most deserved of attention early on. Because your opponents aren't going to see shit, and you aren't going to see shit... and the pawn structure doesn't matter, and the material doesn't matter... Somebody is just going to win because they wanted to and got lucky. So I guess the big takeaway should be: at 1150 if you can see mate in 2 you can hang your queen all day and win 90% of the time. On the prophylactic side: chances are a lot of the things you think are scary are actually harmless. But a lot of things you think are harmless are actually scary! You learn that over time, but you can accelerate the learning process by welcoming some danger, trusting your foresight, having the confidence to not always react to your opponents moves. Sometimes your opponents moves will be meaningless. You need to be able to trust your assesments of threats and not play your opponents game for them (which you can't, right now). If you calculate it as harmless: don't bother! If you calculate it as a threat: bother! I think lower rated players are too reactive like jellyfish or never reactive like meandering automotons grafted to a VR headset. You have to be able to calculate to know when and where to respond. I have fond memories of some game I played a long time ago as black in the fried liver... I didn't know the computer lines, but I ended up playing them because I didn't buy what white was selling- I had the confidence to see clearly. Less impressive here than with other openings, because there's really only ever one move, and of course now all the computer lines are rote, but that experience kind of opened my eyes to the often illusory quality of chess, that sometimes you can see through that illusion just by trusting your own mental power enough to put it to the proper specific use. But you can only get that if you know who can end the game and when!

Last edited:

polo

Magister

If you are 1150 then do a lot of mating puzzles. Winning in a simulation will raise your confidence and help you formulate a plan. Intuitively you will want to bring these images to fruition in your own games. You will get an idea of what the game is about naturally and what you should be doing. Everything that follows is just a more sophisticated version of the same idea: Win the game! Studying tactics and strategy will help you arrive at a position where winning the game is more likely to occur, but if you can't actually win the game then none of that matters! It's all calculation, or more simply stated for our purposes here: clear visualization. I can't really remember what I was thinking back then but it was probably some fantasy land bullshit while I was getting checkmated in some utterly prosaic fashion real time. So concrete, down to earth, routine exercises like mates are the things most deserved of attention early on. Because your opponents aren't going to see shit, and you aren't going to see shit... and the pawn structure doesn't matter, and the material doesn't matter... Somebody is just going to win because they wanted to and got lucky. So I guess the big takeaway should be: at 1150 if you can see mate in 2 you can hang your queen all day and win 90% of the time. On the prophylactic side: chances are a lot of the things you think are scary are actually harmless. But a lot of things you think are harmless are actually scary! You learn that over time, but you can accelerate the learning process by welcoming some danger, trusting your foresight, having the confidence to not always react to your opponents moves. Sometimes your opponents moves will be meaningless. You need to be able to trust your assesments of threats and not play your opponents game for them (which you can't, right now). If you calculate it as harmless: don't bother! If you calculate it as a threat: bother! I think lower rated players are too reactive like jellyfish or never reactive like meandering automotons grafted to a VR headset. You have to be able to calculate to know when and where to respond. I have fond memories of some game I played a long time ago as black in the fried liver... I didn't know the computer lines, but I ended up playing them because I didn't buy what white was selling- I had the confidence to see clearly. Less impressive here than with other openings, because there's really only ever one move, and of course now all the computer lines are rote, but that experience kind of opened my eyes to the often illusory quality of chess, that sometimes you can see through that illusion just by trusting your own mental power enough to put it to the proper specific use. But you can only get that if you know who can end the game and when!
Any decent app to do puzzles?
Ive been doing the lichess ones, and im kind of decent (~1700). But u cant pick the theme of the puzzle in the mobile app or the difficulty, which is annoying since most of the puzzles i do are when im taking a shit.

minakami

Educated

Ive been doing the lichess ones, and im kind of decent (~1700). But u cant pick the theme of the puzzle in the mobile app or the difficulty, which is annoying since most of the puzzles i do are when im taking a shit.
Chesstempo has that function on mobile app iirc or you can use the browser version of lichess.

UnHerd

Barely Literate

The chess.com ones are decent. probably worth the subscription cost if you will be doing them every day!

Hey guys I got bitten by the chess bug recently, which has totally nothing to do with a certain shitty netflix show.
Anyways, if someone wants to leisurely beat up a scrub, consider adding me on chess.com (handle is b-t-c). I only play strangers there because all my real-life friends are too cool to play chess (just kidding haha. i have no real life friends)

Stay away from my wife.

polo

Magister
Guy hasnt played professional in years, hadnt really studied seriously either and was playing some of the best in the world currently.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Gary Kasparov has declined considerably, not only in Chess. His political statements, for example about Julian Assange (calling him a "convicted rapist") are a disgrace for someone who alleged fought against the Soviet system.

Which is really odd, when I was young I rooted for Kasparov whereas now I think Anatolij Karpov has aged very gracefully and is the impressive one of the two. Maybe sometimes being denied the ultimate victory is the best thing that can happen to you.

Gary on the other hand, is not my hero anymore.

Its no mystery why you are shit.
Puzzles are recommended by tards for other tards.
Learn about chess patterns, and practice working within the patterns/themes. (My rapid rating is well over 1400 so I know what I'm talking about).

Also this is pretty fun & covers patterns:-
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/18479/Soviet_Theory__Zen_Practice_Chess_Bundle/

Blowhard

Cipher
My rapid rating is well over 1400 so I know what I'm talking about.

If you want to be like that and totally degrade the IQ of the room I will just go ahead and say you probably shouldn't be boasting about that number. Just share your controversial opinions normally and leave any "quantitative authority" on the matter left to everyone's imagination (instead of instantly undermining it).

polo

Magister
Lmao yeah, i've reached 1400 in blitz last week. I think he was just trolling.

My rapid rating is well over 1400 so I know what I'm talking about.

If you want to be like that and totally degrade the IQ of the room I will just go ahead and say you probably shouldn't be boasting about that number. Just share your controversial opinions normally and leave any "quantitative authority" on the matter left to everyone's imagination (instead of instantly undermining it).

I have over 300 rating points more than a mere 1100er so I believe that more than qualifies me to pass on some advice to how I achieved that. Checkmate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom