Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chess

Lmao yeah, i've reached 1400 in blitz last week. I think he was just trolling.

Can you solve this?

https://lichess.org/training/esAxI

From a prominent YTer IM Chessexplained.

Original game: https://lichess.org/4RgPYDHw/black

This is my point, even if you solve it, whats its teaching you?
Nothing probably. Its at best practice for basic calculation.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I play only casually, don't know my ELO and can beat a 1400 software if I stay focussed and dont make a silly mistake. So I would say I could claim 1400 with just a little bit of serious practice.

1400 is nothing to boast over. I would say anything under 1800 is like boasting with a 115 IQ, dime a dozen.

So let's not get silly shall we and not boast about ELO. But my experience is that every 100 points is like a new level so if you play ~1400 you are level 14 and a level 15 player would find it very easy to beat you.

I wasn't boasting about my rating as that would be bit lame - I was just expressing that I know enough to be helpful to lesser rated players.
Having said that, I do have a seriously impressive puzzle solving rating.

Rilmani404

Novice
Has anyone heard of Proteus? I looked it up after getting trapped in 1d4chan. Link with the full rules halfway down the page. The win condition in particular interests me.

polo

Magister
Lmao yeah, i've reached 1400 in blitz last week. I think he was just trolling.

Can you solve this?

https://lichess.org/training/esAxI

From a prominent YTer IM Chessexplained.

Original game: https://lichess.org/4RgPYDHw/black

This is my point, even if you solve it, whats its teaching you?
Nothing probably. Its at best practice for basic calculation.
Some puzzles are really bad yes, but others are quite good, and teach you about forks, tactics, etc.
That one in particular seems like intended to keep an eye for ur oponents kings (backrank mate if he moves the rook), and then mostly about discarding most of the queen and rook moves, so you end up with the a.pawn move to mate.

Some puzzles teach about mating patterns and endgame shit most <1600 are quite bad at.

Last edited:

Johannes

Arcane
So let's not get silly shall we and not boast about ELO. But my experience is that every 100 points is like a new level so if you play ~1400 you are level 14 and a level 15 player would find it very easy to beat you.
100 points dont make such a huge difference... Going by the Elo math, its just something like 2:1 chances of a win in favor of a player with 100 points more. So noticeable but not "very easy" wins by any means. And not like you can't drop to 100 pts less than your peak if you have good / bad streaks too

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
let-down-malcom-in-the-middle.gif

Match is over

polo

Magister
It was a shame how Nepo collapsed after the record breaking game.

Johannes

Arcane
It was more memorable in a way too to have the kike flame out like that, instead of just 9 draws or such after the legendary game.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hey guys, my girlfriend is kind of interested in learning chess and I was wondering what was the best resource to learn basic game structure. Not only openings, but pawn hygiene, good positioning, etc.
I myself is decent is the "knows how stuff works and enjoys a good game" crowd but am helpless against players knowing their shit, so I don't think I can teach her much.
Any recommendation is welcome.

spectre

Arcane
Once you're past the absolute basics, at some point you just have to hit the books. Not sure what's good on the market, myself, I've only had one of those "For Dummies" series.

Anyways, the biggest problem when learning chess is finding the right opponent for your level. A lot of people just flip the table when either player makes a blunder,
while in reality you kind want to see the game through if only to visualize why exactly you're fucked. Also applies to those painful endgames when you still don't know how to mate decisively and just keep shuffling about.
To this end, I can't recommend Chessmaster enough. It teaches you the basics, analyzes games and in training mode will chime in if you fuck up.
Most importantly, it has AI profiles iirc for every 100 points of ELO and adjusts your rating after each game until you hit your current sweet spot.
It's a bit of an oldie, I've seen it in bargain bins a few years back (get one of those if you can, it should just install from the cd and be good to go with no updating or additional Ubisoft crapware).
Though these days I'd just torrent it for convenience.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks for the advice. You made me remember my father bought Chessmaster 6000 last century. He may still have the CD somewhere, if I don't download a newer (8000) version first. Love how all Chessmaster games have the same cover.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Karpov was one of the 351 members of the State Duma voting in favor of the recognition of the Donetsk People's Republic (DNR) and the Luhansk People's Republic (LNR). Karpov yesterday emerged on the European Union's list of individuals and legal entities that sanctions were imposed on. The EU sanctions include a freeze of assets of these persons on the territory of the EU as well as blocking them from traveling into the EU.

VAMzxJ5.png

Blowhard

Cipher
Doesn't surprise me, really. Karpov has always been a conformist. Korchnoi, KGB, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom