Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chinese and Russian Markets

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Maybe the Russians and Chinese use the whole scale, instead of 9 (or 90%) is Good, 10 is Masterpiece, 8 is Average, 1-7 is poor?

Turjan

Arcane
Regarding recent Stardock games, they also sport a rather specific type of humor. While I happen to like that, humor doesn't always translate very well to different cultures.

Hmm....

8eUDyYT.jpg

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
Both have lived (live through fake) Communism, thus increased critical faculties.

Zenith

Arbiter
I don't really get it, is he actually considering doing anything about it? Removing language support? I thought the Chinese mobs review-bombed games for less.
As for Russians, my impression is that there's a fan-made translation with how-to instructions on every single Steam community. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's 20% less positive across the board, Stardock or not, translation or no translation. Probably because Russians just bitch and moan after being spoiled on pirated games have higher standards and no patience for pleasantries.
Or is he suggesting just blocking countries from accessing the games altogether? Could just split eastern versions off to a separate store page ghetto, like some publishers used to do when regional pricing was first introduced.

Turjan

Arcane
Yes, that kind of humor was what I was comparing the Tywom to. This is a rather benign kind of humor, even if one specific person on your image obviously fails to find it funny.

The Tywom on the other hand plays with a deliberately creepy humor. On GalCiv III, I have seen people who complain about how it makes fun of the tragedies of war, or of eating other people. Obviously, not everyone finds this funny, as some just see the creepy or the horrible side of the tale. I wonder whether Chinese have even more aversion to that kind of humor.

Turjan

Arcane
I don't really get it, is he actually considering doing anything about it?
I remember him saying that he is not good at people skills. He should probably let someone else look at the situation.

Lhynn

Arcane
Why are chinese translations always so fucking awful? is it that all translators are shit or what?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Because their language is fundamentally different. Ever tried learning Chinese?

Truth be told, English comes as hard to them as Chinese comes to us. As someone who's been to China, seldom have I encountered people who speak decent English. Even on airports where it's a must. They mostly don't care about it. Good Chinese translators (especially live interpreters) are very, very rare to come by.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom