Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gandalf

Arbiter

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Sure but they didn't give them The Warlock of Firetop Mountain treatment and add tacticool iso combat to them.

BruceVC

Magister
Sure but they didn't give them The Warlock of Firetop Mountain treatment and add tacticool iso combat to them.
Yes thats true but that feature takes more time and would make the games more expensive. Just compare the prices. I would much rather have the tactical combat but from I read the development will take much more time and they releasing news games fairly quickly

Scrounger

Educated
There's some nice one that goes by the name "Sorcery!" consisting of 4 parts. It actually has some rather compelling fantasy exploration and feel to it. From time to time you can get options to cast strange spells which counts as one of the myriad of options you can take. Plenty of outcomes as well! Try it if you have time

BruceVC

Magister
There's some nice one that goes by the name "Sorcery!" consisting of 4 parts. It actually has some rather compelling fantasy exploration and feel to it. From time to time you can get options to cast strange spells which counts as one of the myriad of options you can take. Plenty of outcomes as well! Try it if you have time
Absolutely and they also based on the classic books but they have additional areas to explore especially book 4 in the Mampang Fortress

Scrounger

Educated
Yes, I also heard that they've (Inkle) added and reworked few things throughout the series. I don't know what actual parts because I didn't read the originals but from my experience it all flew rather crisp and nicely!

BruceVC

Magister
Yes, I also heard that they've (Inkle) added and reworked few things throughout the series. I don't know what actual parts because I didn't read the originals but from my experience it all flew rather crisp and nicely!
Im glad you enjoyed them despite not reading the books, what one was the most difficult for you? I always found Khare the hardest and finding all the lines of the spell to open the final gate

Last edited:

Scrounger

Educated
Kinda forgot, good reason to play it again tho! :) I remembered that I combed almost the entire city and found all except one or two I think. I think there were a couple of areas which I omitted entirely for some strange reason. In the end I just went on with the curse of a ghost magi guy. It was very fun for what I remember but third and fourth was a special hell just because of it!
Almost forgot, I think you could also go back in time with that ghost and some parts of the story were going differently than the first time. I've tried it but then I've got back and went up with the aforementioned curse. I think you could also save the city without the magic words

Alex

Arcane
Couldn't find a thread about this. Which titles are worth playing?
Project Aon has several books from the lone wolf series converted into a computer program. This plays exactly like the books, but has various aspects of the same automated, such as combat rolling and character sheet tracking.

This does something similar to the Fighting Fantasy games, but it is not really free. You can play one book for free though, Dloodbones. The others are available as DLC, but they aren't priced badly either. I understand there is some kind of mapping feature built into the game, but you are not forced to use it. Also, they seem to be bringing new books to it still. Next one will be, supposedly, Freeway Fighter.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Suzerain is a fun, CYOA political game, where you lead a country in a fictionalized version of 1950s Europe: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/suzerain-political-simulator-rpg-hybrid-by-torpor-games.132719/

0fzVG8g.png

I highly recommend this game. You play as an inventor of a robot and there is a shit ton of ways the story can play out. Your robot(s) has several stats that affect it: military, empathy, grace, and autonomy. They also interact act between each other and the results can get quite interesting. Besides, you can get bankrupt and move in back with your mom.
:5/5:

This one is my personal favourite from the choice of games series. I think the beginning is quite weak, but the reactivity makes up for it thousandfold. Also, the lore turns out to be quite interesting. I have finished the game multiple times as a black magician (so called negationist) and have just started a playthrough as a vivomancy practioner (life magic).
:5/5:

This is the lenghtiest choice of games title I have played so far. I managed to miss out on 80% of secrets because my character beheaded everyone before they could even speak. I tend to finish games like this in one sitting so it was quite tiresome. I will need some time to rest before I return to it, but it is clear that there is a lot of reactivity. I won‘t even go on about the story. It's a typical WoD vampire intrigue, which is not a bad thing at all.
:4/5:

Set in a fantasy world where the local rulling class demands blood sacrifices to sustain their magic. You can begin either as an aristocrat or a lowest class citizen. I admit, I haven‘t finished this one because there is a survival management part during winter that I suck at. I will return to the game, however, as the preceeding parts were really enjoyable and already showed quite a lot of reactivity to your choices. The only weird thing about the setting is that the author felt the need to make up dozens of new, redundant terms. Prematurely giving it 4 out of 5 trolls.
:4/5:

Fun and short game. Change the world by your inventions or by tutoring the heir to the throne. The story isn't as vast and branching as in the other titles I mentioned. It's not a bad game but it does pale in comparsion with the others.
:3/5:

Sorcery! is top notch, probably the best in genre. Seventh Sense/Project Aon are also really excellent (and free) adaptations of the Lone Wolf gamebooks. Not sure if they’ve done the complete series yet, but I know the first 12 are for sure available.

These are basically Choose Your Own Adventure Novels, not games. If you want something light and easy to get into, stick to Life of a Wizard and perhaps the Lost Heir series.
I mean, both titles you mentioned are made using the same dev program as the titles I recommend, so I am not so sure they are that different.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom