Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Erebus

Arcane
"The Warlock of Firetop Mountain" and "Deathtrap Dungeon", while famous, are far from being among the best gamebooks ever released during the 80s.

They were some of the very first gamebooks ever published, so it's only normal that they left a lot of room for improvement, but there are plenty of Fighting Fantasy books that would have provided better material for an adaptation. Such as "Creature of Havoc" (by Steve Jackson) or "Demons of the Deep" (also by Steve Jackson but not the same one).

Axe Father

Savant
Fabled Lands by Dave Morris was turned into a PC game not too long ago. They really added a lot of "game" though, so it doesn't feel very CYOA anymore. Although to be fair, the original books were much more game than book so I guess they thought they might as well throw out the last vestiges of pen and pencil play. If you wanted to try the original books there's this: http://flapp.sourceforge.net/

I haven't played the Prime Games version of FL, but I am holding out on the slim chance that they'll also adapt Dave Morris's Blood Sword books. Those were kickass. Classic CYOA page turner but with 4 player co-op and dudes on a map combat.

Erebus

Arcane
Fabled Lands by Dave Morris was turned into a PC game not too long ago. They really added a lot of "game" though, so it doesn't feel very CYOA anymore. Although to be fair, the original books were much more game than book so I guess they thought they might as well throw out the last vestiges of pen and pencil play.

Yeah, Fabled Lands was an attempt to make an open-world series of gamebooks and it ended being a lot more "game" than "book".

Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson recently gave the concept a new try with their VulcanVerse series. From what I've seen, it seems to have a better story and better characters than Fabled Lands.

I am holding out on the slim chance that they'll also adapt Dave Morris's Blood Sword books. Those were kickass. Classic CYOA page turner but with 4 player co-op and dudes on a map combat.

That would be awesome. It was an excellent series, with a cool setting, great characters and the ability to control from one to four heroes.

The fifth and final book was a bit weak (from what I understand, its creation was rushed), but its concept was very good and its flaws could be fixed without too much trouble.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

Suzerain is a fun, CYOA political game, where you lead a country in a fictionalized version of 1950s Europe: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/suzerain-political-simulator-rpg-hybrid-by-torpor-games.132719/

0fzVG8g.png

I was deeply annoyed by this game. I wanted to build true communism, but this game equates communism to planned economy and refused to build communism with free market. Frustrating and stupid.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I was deeply annoyed by this game. I wanted to build true communism, but this game equates communism to planned economy and refused to build communism with free market. Frustrating and stupid.
uunbt2.png

You could have implemented authoritarian constitutional reforms while also pushing towards a free market economy, if that fulfills your definition of "true communism".

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You could have implemented authoritarian constitutional reforms while also pushing towards a free market economy, if that fulfills your definition of "true communism".
Dictatorship and its milder form "authoritarianism" are necessary measures for countries in existential danger, e.g. in a war or at the brink of one. In that game, the situation didn't call for it.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Surprised there's not much talk here about actual adaptations of CYOA books. TBH, I'm not really sure why they don't make more of them that way now, since reading those books digitally always feels awkward at best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom