Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone gives his blessing to inXile's Torment successor, probably won't join

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Avellone; Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Like many other gaming news sites, Eurogamer has reported on the big Codex scoop from yesterday. Unlike the rest of them, they also have some exclusive information. Colin McComb told Eurogamer:

"As you may recall, Chris [Avellone] mentioned his ideas for a spiritual successor to Torment with some frequency over the summer. This stemmed (at least in part) from discussions he and I were having about the possibility of resurrecting the IP, and this led to my reaching out to Wizards of the Coast. That did not yield fruit, but it did get the two of us talking about what we'd like to see in any regard, and we both agreed that Planescape was not the best route for us to take anyway, due to the mechanical issues and editorial oversight WotC would want.​

"The Project: Eternity Kickstarter took them in a different direction than a direct successor. I told Chris that I would not work on a Torment successor without his approval. We talked about it for a bit, and he told me that he was entirely comfortable with me moving forward on a Torment game without him, and he gave me his explicit blessing to do it.​

"Right now he's incredibly involved with Project: Eternity, and I do not want to distract him from a project that is incredibly important to his company. With that said, I would be happy - no, wait, overjoyed - to have him on board in any capacity whatsoever."​

Not long after that was posted, Colin said much the same on our own forums.

Once again, the plot thickens! Of course, I'm sure that all of us here on the Codex wish the very best to Colin and his team. (in before "PROJECT ETERNITY KILLED THE MCA TORMENT SEQUEL!!1")

Rake

Arcane
Tags: Chris Avellone; Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Planescape: Torment; Torment successor

Like many other gaming news sites, Eurogamer has reported on the big Codex scoop from yesterday. Unlike the rest of them, they also have some exclusive information. Colin McComb told Eurogamer:

"As you may recall, Chris [Avellone] mentioned his ideas for a spiritual successor to Torment with some frequency over the summer. This stemmed (at least in part) from discussions he and I were having about the possibility of resurrecting the IP, and this led to my reaching out to Wizards of the Coast. That did not yield fruit, but it did get the two of us talking about what we'd like to see in any regard, and we both agreed that Planescape was not the best route for us to take anyway, due to the mechanical issues and editorial oversight WotC would want.​

"The Project: Eternity Kickstarter took them in a different direction than a direct successor. I told Chris that I would not work on a Torment successor without his approval. We talked about it for a bit, and he told me that he was entirely comfortable with me moving forward on a Torment game without him, and he gave me his explicit blessing to do it.​

"Right now he's incredibly involved with Project: Eternity, and I do not want to distract him from a project that is incredibly important to his company. With that said, I would be happy - no, wait, overjoyed - to have him on board in any capacity whatsoever."​

Not long after that was posted, Colin said much the same on our own forums.

Once again, the plot thickens! Of course, I'm sure that all of us here on the Codex wish the very best to Colin and his team. (in before "PROJECT ETERNITY KILLED THE MCA TORMENT SEQUEL!!1")

Obsidian and Chris can do their own thing as well. This doesn't really prevent it. If we are lucky we'll get 2 or more games in that vein if they 're proven profitable.

Still:x

Rake

Arcane
Most of you will still play it, if only to cry :decline: latter. :P
I would prefer Obsidian had it but i'm cautiously optimistic about this project. After all as i said that doesn't really prevent MCA doing his own spiritual succesor after P:E is finished.But i would prefer Wasteland 2 to come out first so we can see what inXile's writing team can do.

hiver

Chris obviously needs someone to make him an offer he cant refuse.

I have black bags. Anyone has a taser?
We know where he lives dont we?
- someone nab the tooth fairy too.

And we better hurry up because the sun wont rise tomorrow.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hilarious. People who probably fap to New Vegas, even though those who created Fallout didn't touch it, whine about this.

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
For those of you concerned about my writing ability, I'll point out that you can read the first book of Oathbreaker for free via Amazon or iTunes. I don't mean this to be a commercial, I should add (buy the second book) - I'd like you to see that I can actually deliver a story. If you download the first one, I don't get any money, and I don't receive any particular benefit except for the possibility that you like the story and want to continue reading the series. If you think it sucks, then you've got a fair basis for wailing, gnashing of teeth, and rending of clothes.

That is to say: You've got a right to be skeptical. I would be too.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Personally I'm pretty excited about this no matter whether MCA is going to involved or not. I'm sure looking forward to another well-written, and hopefully well-designed, CRPG, and the team is shaping up to be great.

What I'm worried about, rather, is how this Kickstarter is going to be perceived without Chris on board.

Hormalakh

Magister
Can you guys wait for one game to be finished by MCA first before you drool over the other one? MCA is working on one game right now. Would you rather he gave a half-hearted try on two games instead of doing an awesome job on one (and then maybe if the timing is right, work on the second one)?

It's like a bunch of starving children finally came to their first Thanksgiving meal ... You guys can't be satisfied with one.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Can you guys wait for one game to be finished by MCA first before you drool over the other one? MCA is working on one game right now. Would you rather he gave a half-hearted try on two games instead of doing an awesome job on one (and then maybe if the timing is right, work on the second one)?

The Codex will not be satisfied until MCA is chained up in a basement somewhere, forced to slave away at cRPGs 100 hours a week, with no human contact whatsoever.

It will be glorious incline.

PS: seriously tho the dude does have way too much on his plate. I often wonder how he juggles it all.

bonescraper

I don't know what to think. I don't really care about Project Eternity to be honest. It screams Baldur's Gate spiritual successor, and while i liked BG i just think Chris is wasting his talent on another bland, generic fantasy setting. It's also set to appeal to the average Bioware crowd is some ways :/ So i'd rather have Chris work on this game instead. I think i feel betrayed somehow. It's not like he's the only guy capable of delivering a great, personal story (Ziets anyone?), but PS:T is the game that made the unknown Black Isle employee into the official Codex diety known as MCA. And now he's probably busy writing stuff about hamsters and shit :( Playing it safe. Bah.

Hormalakh

Magister
I don't know what to think. I don't really care about Project Eternity to be honest. It screams Baldur's Gate spiritual successor, and while i liked BG i just think Chris is wasting his talent on another bland, generic fantasy setting. It's also set to appeal to the average Bioware crowd is some ways :/ So i'd rather have Chris work on this game instead. I think i feel betrayed somehow. It's not like he's the only guy capable of delivering a great, personal story (Ziets anyone?), but PS:T is the game that made the unknown Black Isle employee into the official Codex diety known as MCA. And now he's probably busy writing stuff about hamsters and shit :( Playing it safe. Bah.

You don't know what the story for P:E is, how can you make a judgement like that? Yes, it might be high fantasy, but ultimately Planescape was also high fantasy. It was set in the same FR world. You're judging books by the covers that are in pre-production...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

You don't know what the story for P:E is, how can you make a judgement like that? Yes, it might be high fantasy, but ultimately Planescape was also high fantasy. It was set in the same FR world. You're judging books by the covers that are in pre-production...

MotB would be a better example.

hiver

For those of you concerned about my writing ability, I'll point out that you can read the first book of Oathbreaker for free via Amazon or iTunes. I don't mean this to be a commercial, I should add (buy the second book) - I'd like you to see that I can actually deliver a story. If you download the first one, I don't get any money, and I don't receive any particular benefit except for the possibility that you like the story and want to continue reading the series. If you think it sucks, then you've got a fair basis for wailing, gnashing of teeth, and rending of clothes.

Well, thats rather nice of you. I wanted to read something of yours because i havent so far.

Hey,...
A young knight, surgically augmented by the secretive Council of Magi, discovers a highly placed conspiracy aimed at the heart of the Empire of Terona. Foresworn and forced to choose between his oath and his duty, he flees the capital with the king's infant daughter, the last surviving member of the dynasty. Called a traitor, and with the might of the Empire pursuing him, he must seek friends who can help him to stave the rising darkness at the heart of his home.

Against the machinations of the High Houses, the metal-dark magic of the Council of Magi, and against the Empire's enemies, he must keep hope alive.
This is just like the story about me and the codex!
:lol:

Wait... i have to install kindle? What is this? Middle ages?
Luckily there is a pirated version here: http://colinmccomb.com/?page_id=68

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm frankly just befuddled by the entire situation. Everyone involved is currently working on other projects, and why trademark "Torment" for a spiritual successor? The game almost certainly won't take place in the Planescape campaign setting, and copying the immortal paradigm too closely would be horribly gimmicky, as would actually including "Torment" in the title of aforementioned spiritual successor.

Personally, I'm disinclined to speculate about any of this until Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity are out the door and something official has been announced. Well done to those who sniffed out various rumors and clues, though.

The Kickstarter boom certainly has caused an explosion of nostalgic IP and celebrity developer name-dropping. I'm starting to feel ashamed of getting so caught up the excitement myself, when there are "Nameless One" developers out there whose projects deserve recognition too.

bonescraper

BG: IWD: PST. If it's good at everything, it's good at nothing. That's the general rule. I remain skeptical about PE. So far i've seen/read nothing that would make that game special. All i know it has RTwP combat and player housing. It might even have hamsters, to complete the fucking Bioware formula. Because that's what the fans want most. But i'm derailing the thread anyway.

I'm more interested in W2 and this new Torment game for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom