Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Chris Avellone Interview at Hold The Line

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Chris Avellone; Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

There's a short interview with Chris Avellone at HoldTheLine.com, the website that was founded by upset BioWare fans last year in response to the Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco. There's not much here that we don't already know, but we do get a glimpse at the current status of Project Eternity:

Q: Speaking of which, how's it coming along? Have you guys locked down a title yet?

Chris: It’s coming along great, we’re building cities and districts and dungeons for players to explore, and it’s all looking beautiful – we’re currently tackling the first major city in the game, Defiance Bay, and it’s shaping up great. It’s not often that people can come into work and say “well, today I’m building a city,” but that’s the kind of workplace we have here at Obsidian. And that’s just the start – it’s not just the city itself, but the locations throughout the Eternity world (above and below) are shaping up beautifully, and the designers are adding a lot of great quest lines and content to thread them all together.

As for the title of the project: We have not resolved the “lock down a title” quest line yet. So no XP for us.

Q: You guys have stated that Eternity will be a pretty mature and dark-themed game. Slavery, drug use, etc. Are you afraid that might turn off some potential fans, or cause some unintended controversy within the gaming media?

Chris: If it’s true to the story, we’re afraid of nothing. There are a lot of elements we’ve often wanted to explore in previous titles that we haven’t had an opportunity to do, and Eternity gives us free rein to deal with those subjects. We don’t include elements like these for shock value – if they fit in with the game’s themes and if they add weight to the player’s moral choices for the player, then they are absolutely worth adding to the world. Similar themes worked well in interesting ways in Fallout 2, for example, and seeing some of those same evils explored in Eternity from a different perspective is something we’re looking forward to - and that’s only a small part of what we have planned.

Q: Will Eternity allow players to explore companion storyline/quests like they might have experienced in Fallout: New Vegas?

Chris: Each companion is intended to have a storyline, background, and quest that either advances them, ties them to the game story, or ties them to the theme, and preferably, some combination thereof. It may not be exactly like the New Vegas quest structure (we go as far back as Torment internal quests and the KOTOR2 advancement arcs), but companions will have agendas and quests of their own. More on this will likely come out in the coming months (and it may change as the companions are fully fleshed out), although the specifics will likely wait until the players are actually playing the title.
    Also, Chris is apparently personally interested in making an Eberron D&D game, which is something I haven't heard him say before. Doesn't Eberron have elves?

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  2. Borelli Arcane

Borelli
    Holy shit.:o Somebody give Obsidian ALL MONEY IN THE WORLD (but not too much).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    An Eberron game would be sweet.

^ Top  
  4. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    Stop the presses, this is the most important RPG news of the decade.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Is it just me or is everyone and their dog interviewing Avellone lately? He's the new hot stuff apparently.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    He's just hot stuff

:oops:

Uh, that's awkward.

^ Top  
  7. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    He wants the Arcanum IP to nerf those fucking wolves.

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. himmy Arcane

himmy
    FTFY

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. AbounI Colonist Patron

AbounI
    I don't see why a full indie should be afraid of boycott or controversy while the GTA games show there is a huge demand for that kind of mature games with mature questions.Fuck the established press

^ Top  
  10. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    I'm not sure thats the same kind of mature.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    :takemymoney: All of them need to happen.

^ Top  
  12. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Gazing at his slowly refilling game shelves ;-)
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Not at all familiar with that world, what's "good/ sweet" about it?

^ Top  
  13. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Its pretty dark and combines magic with technology in a medieval setting?
    never played it myself but seems like itd make a good single player rpg.

DDO is in that setting, but no idea how well it represents it.

^ Top  
  14. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Bakas

^ Top  
  15. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I never much liked Eberron, to be honest, but I don't doubt Obsidian could make an interesting game with the IP.

I have no idea how they would make this work but I want it to happen.

Also, does anyone else think that Archer Protocol would be a pretty awesome game?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Monkeyfinger Cipher

Monkeyfinger
    avellone being a chrono trigger fanboy is old news

^ Top  
  17. ~RAGING BONER~ Learned

~RAGING BONER~

never watched it myself but from what I understand the PC is a timelord, has a time traveling telephone booth and a hot bitch companion: (insert time travel quest arcs here)

^ Top  
  18. Edward_R_Murrow Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    Basically it's a setting that is built around the prevalence of lower level magic in everyday life. Magical streetlamps, transportation and the like. In a very rough sense, magic is treated as technology. I think the other main facet is that the existence of other supernatural forces, like extraplanar creatures and deities, isn't explicitly spelled out. Gods aren't just a given, and demons aren't summoned at a whim. I'm actually not certain how it handles the undead, but I think they are far less prevalent. My experience with it is lacking, but it certainly seems pretty interesting.

That said, I'd much rather see Ravenloft in a D&D cRPG and I'd prefer Ravnica: The RPG for my "high magic" gameworld fix. The second seems like a slam-dunk for Wizards of the Coast.

^ Top  
  19. Lockkaliber Magister Patron

Lockkaliber
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    He's been talking about The Wire for years, but I've never been able to envision it. Someone should ask him about his specific idea for a Wire RPG.

^ Top  
  20. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    He talked about it in detail in the recent one hour podcast: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9137

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. ~RAGING BONER~ Learned

~RAGING BONER~

An RPG based on The Wire would be easy enough: Story aside, which Avellone no doubt has already thought of, Skills and stats would revolve around various criminal, social and political activities including, but not limited to Gun play, street fighting, Hustling, getting elected, bribery, pimping and various diplomacy skills such as Ebonics Mastery and Being White in a Dark Dark world.

^ Top  
  22. crawlkill Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!

crawlkill
    I'd love to see aparallel companion arcs. Not that I want some of them to be, you know, boring, but this modern RPG thing where "every companion has their companion quest" and that's kind of it is...I mean, it doesn't ruin things, but it'd inject a certain element of surprise. I dislike feeling like my companions are just, like, menus and achievement panes.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Lady_Retard █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady_Retard
    He talks about The Wire RPG at around 48:00. His idea is basically to play it as one of the district police chiefs, trying to keep crime down, making the right contacts in politics, etc. The interviewers mentioned that it would probably be easy to get that IP since there has not been a game based on the Wire before.

^ Top  
  24. piydek Cipher

piydek
    Well, it's all about how you wrap the package and sell it, isn't it? And anyway I don't expect Eternity's mature themes to be in the same realm as GTA's cartoon violence and sexuality.

^ Top  
  25. GlutenBurger Cipher

GlutenBurger
    If he means the post-2000 series, all they'd have to do is make an adventure game in which "use sonic screwdriver" is the solution to every puzzle.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.