Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone Sugarbombed Interview, Part Two

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Chris Avellone; Fallout 2; Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment; South Park: The Stick of Truth

The proprietors of Fallout-centric forum community Sugarbombed have posted the second part of their epic interview with Chris Avellone. This part is less obviously trying to bait Chris into saying something bad about Bethesda, but that doesn't stop him from raining a bit more fire on Obsidian for good measure. I quote:

SB: Now onto New Vegas. Since you designed New Reno in Fallout 2, how did you and the other developers go about differentiating New Vegas from it? And what influence did you take from it (New Reno)?

CA: I don't know if there were any conversations on differentiating New Vegas from New Reno, the level designers for the city might know (I don't know if they played Fallout 2). BTW, New Reno wasn't solely mine, I inherited the design from the Troika guys before they left Black Isle, so I had that template to build on (the crime families, the Enclave, jet production, etc.) The worst parts of New Reno you can blame me for, don't blame the Troika guys. ;)

Looking back the only thing I regret in New Reno is that I should have cut out one of the crime families (four was too many with everything else that was going on) and made Myron more systemically valuable to the party (his combat build and crafting abilities weren't helpful). Cassidy ended up being a better companion for systemic considerations, even with his heart condition. I did a post about companion design based on this learning experience a while back on the Obsidian forums, but I don't know if it's still up there (Obsidian locked me out of my profile after my departure, and they've refused to delete my account). The companion system design principles are not being used in recent Obsidian titles, so it may have been removed.

SB: Something that most people can agree on is that Bethesda and Godfather Pete Hines are experts at marketing. By using the hype of Fallout 4 and announcing it 6 months before release, they were able to make it one of the most profitable games in history. What were your personal experiences with Bethesda's PR/marketing department like, and how does this compare to other companies you’ve worked with in the past?

CA: Ah, a Bethesda question, I was waiting for it (Part 1 was filled with them, Monte, almost as if they were LEADING QUESTIONS HMMMM Editor's Note: Lol). I've been wrapped up with Prey for a while now, and I didn't have much interaction with marketing, but I doubt it's changed much - overall, I think Bethesda is one of the few companies that do marketing right. I've said this before, and I'll say it again - I have a lot of respect for Pete Hines - if you see him on the trenches at E3, he takes his job seriously and isn't fucking away on his mobile phone while journalists ask the developers shitty questions that PR should be listening to and monitoring (sorry for the tirade, am channeling past experiences).

In addition (and I've said this before, too), but he knows how to demo games he's working on, and he was always willing to take over showcasing the game and gameplay for one of the other demo folks if a developer or demo-er needed to be pulled away for an interview, and he did it without a hitch, something a lot of other PR folks I've worked with in the past wouldn't dare do or want to (and most may not even like the games, and feel that demoing is what "the developers are for").

Another thing which may be hard for non-developers to understand the full importance of, but Bethesda plans their marketing. This is rare in my experience. Bethesda is clear about messaging, they time and focus information releases, schedule demo dates properly (ask any developer, but demo deliveries should never be sprung as a surprise to any development team because demos can derail development by months), and more. Also, if there's any doubts as to how well marketing does their jobs, I'll just say this - you can buy Fallout T-shirts in Target. Target. I still can't believe it. That never would have happened at Black Isle, but Bethesda made Fallout visible to the public, which is no small feat. Even my parents recognize the Fallout logo (and the Vault Boy) when they see it - hell, I wasn't able to do that and I'm their son, and this is my livelihood.

So, yeah, I think they do a good job with marketing. Other folks I've worked with in the past have the exact opposite opinion, however, but that's up to them to outline their grievances. I don't agree with their opinion, and their opinions were so vague/hyperbolic it was hard to argue them - and I hate hyperbole in any event, it's the equivalent of lying to make your ill-founded point.

(Oh, and to say it, LucasArts was pretty good to work with, too, they also had their shit together.)
Beyond the bridge-burning, this part of the interview also has some pretty interesting responses from Chris about his quest design methodology, so be sure to read the whole thing. According to the interviewer, there are still two parts left to go, which will focus primarily on Chris' current work on Prey and the System Shock remake, but will also include a follow-up to his comments about Obsidian in the first part. Looks like the fun isn't over yet.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
edit: context
SB: Draco Deathclaw on Twitter (@Falloutlsd) told me something about a “penis hydra” and said you would know what it meant, please enlighten me.

CA: I sometimes offer to draw cartoons on Twitter, and when he suggested it, it would have been cowardly to back down from his challenge. The drawing still haunts my dreams. It's out there. Somewhere. Waiting. And most likely erect.

This MHD is amazing, don't recall seeing that before:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I did a post about companion design based on this learning experience a while back on the Obsidian forums, but I don't know if it's still up there (Obsidian locked me out of my profile after my departure, and they've refused to delete my account). The companion system design principles are not being used in recent Obsidian titles, so it may have been removed.

(...)

So, yeah, I think they do a good job with marketing. Other folks I've worked with in the past have the exact opposite opinion, however, but that's up to them to outline their grievances. I don't agree with their opinion, and their opinions were so vague/hyperbolic it was hard to argue them - and I hate hyperbole in any event, it's the equivalent of lying to make your ill-founded point.(Oh, and to say it, LucasArts was pretty good to work with, too, they also had their shit together.).

Hey fanboys, your God just said bad things about Obsidian. What are you going to do now?

:kfc:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Another thing which may be hard for non-developers to understand the full importance of​
Oh shit oh shit oh shit here comes the hot secret sauce...

but Bethesda plans their marketing.
FUCK. Is he saying that bethesda is actually a functional company, run by professionals, employing professionals, planning and meeting their goals??!?! Incredible! Amazing! Praised be MCA for his keen insight!

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Still waiting for Chris to do something worthwhile again. Moving on is a good thing for him - evidently - sucking up to a rich new employer is probably too, but perhaps it all eventually leads to something... less irrelevant than Prey, System Shock and all that stretchgoal whoring that basically amounted to nothing special.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still waiting for Chris to do something worthwhile again. Moving on is a good thing for him - evidently - sucking up to a rich new employer is probably too, but perhaps it all eventually leads to something... less irrelevant than Prey, System Shock and all that stretchgoal whoring that basically amounted to nothing special.

Would you consider him becoming the creative lead of Fallout worthwhile?

Fairfax

Arcane
Best of MCA Appreciation Station on the topic:

Wow the animosity with Obsidian is real. I wonder if Avellone can solo run the Obsidian offices with dem big gunz?

maxresdefault.jpg

P. sure them numales @ Obsidian couldn't even handle accidental eye contact with MCA without losing composure.

[t]hey tried to delete me from the credits at least once since my departure

a2.jpg

undecaf

Arcane
Patron

Depends on certain factors, but why not if all goes well - i.e. if he'd manage to make the series interesting enough again that I would feel like bothering with Bethesda's gameplay (no small task).

Rake

Arcane

No. Waste of talent

Cool name

Arcane
Another thing which may be hard for non-developers to understand the full importance of​
Oh shit oh shit oh shit here comes the hot secret sauce...

but Bethesda plans their marketing.
FUCK. Is he saying that bethesda is actually a functional company, run by professionals, employing professionals, planning and meeting their goals??!?! Incredible! Amazing! Praised be MCA for his keen insight!
just goes to show what an unprofessional childish joke of an industry video games are, if this is considered unusual

Deleted member 7219

I know he's always said nice things about Bethesda but I put it down to him wanting to be involved in Fallout again. But the way he sucks up to Pete Hines in this interview is just weird. This is the decline of Chris Avellone. It is sad to see.

Morkar Left

Pete Hines is responsible for marketing not for the game. And Bethesdas marketing is great if you look back how far they went compared to 15 years ago.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Marketing (for the gullible) is pretty much Bethesda's only real strong suit, and Pete 'the used car salesman' Hines is perfect for that particular job.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom