Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone talks about cancelled games of the past and possibilities for the future at Eurogamer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Aliens: Crucible; Alpha Protocol; Chris Avellone; Dwarfs; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

There's an eclectic interview with Obsidian Entertainment's Chris Avellone at Eurogamer today. In the first part of the interview, Chris goes over some of the cancelled RPGs Obsidian has worked on over the years. His description of Aliens: Crucible is particularly detailed:

The Aliens: Crucible RPG that Obsidian was building for Sega was a kind of survival game that allowed you to build a base and improve it over time.​

"It was third-person, obviously over-the-shoulder [perspective], you create your own avatar in the Aliens universe, you guide a squad of - it's not like a Marine squad, it's a whole mix of different individuals who happen to be in this one location at this one time, which allows for a lot more variety," explained Chris Avellone, Obsidian's creative director, speaking to me at Rezzed 2013.​

"If you're dealing with a ship repair mechanic who may have no combat experience whatsoever, that obviously would serve a vital function in surviving in this predicament. So it's more of a third-person, two companions with you survival game, but it had a lot of the RPG trappings in terms of you could set up your own stronghold and base and build that up over time, explore more of the environment, figure out how you get all of the resources and stuff to survive."​

Chris Avellone reckoned it was "shaping up to be pretty strong", but Sega pulled the plug in 2009, three years after it was first announced.​

[...] "There was a lot of game design being done: obviously the narrative was down, the systems were down for what we wanted to do, all the companions had all the breakdowns for all of their narrative arcs, the concept art followed that."​

A a 13-minute gameplay video of Aliens: Crucible appeared on the internet earlier this year and showed a game that, at a glance, could have been the finished article. But in reality it was a brushed up portion of the game not representative of, but a kind of target for, the whole.​

It may not have been the most up to date video of Aliens: Crucible, either. "There was a vertical slice of it and I don't know if the video that was released was the actual vertical slice that we had," he said. "One of our designers mentioned that it was actually a milestone build from like a month or two before the actual vertical slice.​

"There was a lot done with it," Chris Avellone rued, "and man I'm really sorry that I didn't get a chance to do it, but things just didn't work out."​

Chris also mentions the Snow White RPG, and Project North Carolina, the nature of which sadly remains a secret. Interestingly, he also talks about an "Alpha Protocol 2", implying that it was a game that Obsidian was already in the middle of designing and had to cancel, which is news to me.

In the second part of the interview, Chris talks about Obsidian's future. He mentions that they'd like to make more RPGs set in the "real world", and goes into further detail about his statement at Rezzed this week that publishers had shown interest in funding an oldschool, low budget RPG following Obsidian's Kickstarter success:

"We've been contacted by more than one publisher about doing that style of game because financially it makes sense for them and they realise the interest level from backers and players also works for them," he said. "I couldn't comment on the specific publishers, but it was just gratifying to see that they actually were interested in that style of game, when previously I thought it wouldn't be a good fit for any publisher.​

"But that sort of model did seem interesting to them and it seemed like it would work for them. What's even more gratifying is the publishers we've talked to are ones that aren't afraid of having a very reactive storyline or a deep storyline, or really deep mechanics.​

"They're not interested so much in accessibility because they recognise the people [who] support these games like those kind of mechanics and depth, and like worlds set up like that - that's the market that we would like to cater to. And I think that's admirable and that's awesome."​

Who could he be referring to? That second paragraph sounds like it's meant to be a hint.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hervé-Caen.jpg

:troll:

likaq

Arcane
"We would like to do a real-world-style RPG," he revealed, "because that would be really interesting for us. Usually there's some minor spin on it, a minor sci-fi spin on it, and sometimes it diverts into superhero territory, but the idea of doing role-playing and design in a real-world environment is actually pretty interesting to us."

Crpg set in modern times and made by MCA or Ziets or Cain?

:bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why Ubisoft? Because of Might & Magic X?

It'd make a lot of sense if fucking Hasbro contacted them. Don't they want to make another D&D game that's actually good?

Either way you look at it, it's potentially good news for us. :incline:

But I am interested in seeing more.

My, Arcanum 2, same scope, but with more filled out content, less bugs and better combat. It would be heaven. Tim Cain as a project lead. :bounce:

likaq

Arcane

My, Arcanum 2, same scope, but with more filled out content, less bugs and better combat. It would be heaven. Tim Cain as a project lead. :bounce:

And without filler combat and trash mobs.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It'd make a lot of sense if fucking Hasbro contacted them. Don't they want to make another D&D game that's actually good?
That kinda supposes that publishers are interested in making "good" games, or that their definition of "good" has any similarities with ours, none of which are IMHO the case.

bonescraper

CD Projekt does not publish anything outside Potato. And they lost/got rid of pretty much all publishing deals except for ActiBlizz in recent years.

They sold their TWitcher games through Namco/Atari/Warner Bros. outside of Poland.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well I can see Disney hiring them to make a new Star Wars rpg, maybe one named KotOR 3.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Real-world RPG. Oh, yeah, "New Jersey, survivor-horror RPG" build and barricade your home and fight off invasions from Camden. Practice stealth elements while sneaking your way home with large sum of money in your wallet.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
"We've been contacted by more than one publisher about doing that style of game because financially it makes sense for them and they realise the interest level from backers and players also works for them," he said. "I couldn't comment on the specific publishers, but it was just gratifying to see that they actually were interested in that style of game, when previously I thought it wouldn't be a good fit for any publisher.

Publishers have realised that they've run out of IPs to rape?

They need to create a new batch IP and raise them to a certain age before they can be raped to their maximum potential.

lVhKB.jpg

Duraframe300

Arcane

I'm still waiting for the announcement of Arcanum 2 featuring Chris Metzen as the *creative director/lead writer or whatever* and Jay Wilson doing Lead Design.

Butthurt would be glorious

:troll:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

That kinda supposes that publishers are interested in making "good" games, or that their definition of "good" has any similarities with ours, none of which are IMHO the case.
What would make sense for Hasbro is a D&D vidya game that encourages gamers to have a go at the tabletop game, and a 3rd person single-character ARPG isn't going to do that. A party and turn based RPG with good plot, C&C and character customization will appeal to the same kind of person who is liable to enjoy and buy tabletop D&D.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

What would make sense for Hasbro is a D&D vidya game that encourages gamers to have a go at the tabletop game, and a 3rd person single-character ARPG isn't going to do that. A party and turn based RPG with good plot, C&C and character customization will appeal to the same kind of person who is liable to enjoy and buy tabletop D&D.
They are probably not going to do that until the 5E is ready.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
If they want the game to be released close to the release of 5E, now would be a good time to start development. :)

hiver

Well, maybe now that publishers are joining in they can make that awesome Snowhite game at last!

:mhd:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Well, maybe now that publishers are joining in they can make that awesome Snowhite game at last!

Considering Brian Mitsoda and Kevin Saunders aren't at the company anymore, they would probably do it quite different if they got another hold on the license.

MCA

And without filler combat and trash mobs.

And in turn-based.

Well I can see Disney hiring them to make a new Star Wars rpg, maybe one named KotOR 3.

Not possible. EA got all the video game rights to SW.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A "real world RPG" set either in a conspiracy within American politics or an ancient mystery within the Catholic church would really appeal to me. There's tons of ways you could go with that.

As for publishers interested in old school stuff I think the likely candidates have been mentioned. Deep Silver is a good thought. I doubt Activision is interested in an old school RPG since they are pretty blunt about wanting big profits from annual franchises.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chris also mentions the Snow White RPG, and Project North Carolina, the nature of which sadly remains a secret. Interestingly, he also talks about an "Alpha Protocol 2", implying that it was a game that Obsidian was already in the middle of designing and had to cancel, which is news to me.
They had vague ideas of directions they could go in but no solid plans. Patrick K Mills said all the sequel talk died when Mitsoda left the project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom