Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Terenty

Liturgist
I'm completely floored by the quality of this project (calling it a mod just doesn't feel right)

Such a blast from good old days of great gaming

Mauman

Learned
Whelp...

Finished my Araxos playthrough (2nd playthrough total)....

Not that Araxos is bad or anything, but if you're going to play this game only once go Guard. Their story line was MUCH better, I came to care more about the characters involved, and it just felt better in general. The Araxos storyline felt WAY more disjointed in comparison. The Araxos hazing ritual when recruited was pretty funny though I must admit.

The hooded tracker armor is cool though (probably my favorite looking armor).

All that being said
Fucking over Bloodwyn in the mine subquest felt very, VERY good

edit - also, as an aside, 2handers are as bad I remember them being. Even at master they seem just really sluggish in comparison to 1handers.

2nd edit - just to say it again, Araxos is not bad by any means. Guard is just so much better.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fucking finally, I've finished this. Over 110 hours, 57lv at the end. Could have been shorter but I suck at fighting and I've made the worst combat-guild choices ever (crossbow and one handed as primary weapons + Arxos Guild). I've killed everyone during last chapter. Poor Marvin!
10/10 would play again sometime. Glad I've managed to save the dog.

Finished the game too, also 110 hours, quite a completionist playthrough with Araxos (one handers/bows, dexterity build).

Truly, a great game. A brilliant blast from the past. Much better designed than the original Gothic games, not really front-loaded, lots of new quests organically appeared in later chapters. Decent amount of dungeon crawling in Chapter V but not enough to make it tiresome, like ending of Gothic 1. Numerous variants of the ending, including the hidden one, which you achieve by playing in a very specific way (actually caring about your main quest). Rewarding exploration. Excellent quest design with some of the most unique missions in all RPGs I've played.

Archolos is truly the best offering of 2021.

Last edited:

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I'm still carrying the cure for Jorn around and it seems like the search will take even more time. Can I drink it myself? I've read that it boosts HP
You sure can and it does boost HP, but how will you cure your brother once you find him?

Where can I buy the recipe for perma strength potions? I'm
Bodowin should be selling one.

Thanks, I checked with Bodowin and he didn't have it. However, I discovered that Hershlik does. He's the alchemist at the marketplace in the city. I'll hang on to the cure for now.

I also found a cool detail: I raided Cortez room in the haven and found a self-drawn map in one of the chest. I though I recognized the llighthouse depicted on it and I was right: It is on the amber coast. There is a small passage on the water level on the right hand side on the island where you'll find Cortez treasure.

Mauman

Learned
Thanks, I checked with Bodowin and he didn't have it. However, I discovered that Hershlik does. He's the alchemist at the marketplace in the city. I'll hang on to the cure for now.

I also found a cool detail: I raided Cortez room in the haven and found a self-drawn map in one of the chest. I though I recognized the llighthouse depicted on it and I was right: It is on the amber coast. There is a small passage on the water level on the right hand side on the island where you'll find Cortez treasure.

small note about the map. There's a giant rock in front of the passage if you haven't found the map. There's a 2nd place to find it too (though I can't remember where off the top of my head).

Urek

Novice
I'm still carrying the cure for Jorn around and it seems like the search will take even more time. Can I drink it myself? I've read that it boosts HP
You sure can and it does boost HP, but how will you cure your brother once you find him?

Where can I buy the recipe for perma strength potions? I'm
Bodowin should be selling one.

If you want the recipes in second chapter you have to find hidden chest in a bush with with items for Bodowin on western road from Silbach to the City

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Put in about 3 hours and yep the praise is well deserved. Definitely giving that feeling of playing through Gothic 1 & 2 for the first time.

One thing I'm liking so far is the remixed soundtrack, they've taken all of Rosenkranz' best tracks and put their own spin on them - even noticed one from Gothic 3 thrown in.

Enjoying it more than Elex 2.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game is one every decade or two masterpiece.

But this decade we also got games like pathologic 2 and disco and darkwood, so guess the ease of videogame publishing these days really bore fruit even if you have to sift trough countless trash.

Jinn

Arcane
Ok, so this time I'll ask you for advice. Another big mod for Gothic 2, Velaya: Tale of the Warrior. Yes/no?

Extremely limited experience with Velaya, but probably not. You'll be able to tell an hour or two in whether it's something you can tolerate, if you want to try anyway. Maybe if there's ever a major PB-style game drought in the future it could serve as a dusty little rain-puddle in a scorching desert.

Keep an eye on History of Khorinis though! I've been following it for about as long as Archolos, and I have a very good feeling about it. I'd be surprised if they don't release it this year as well.

Salvo

Arcane
I'll make sure not to repeat this mistake in the future!

Hahaha! I'm definitely one to be doubted on many a subject, but slightly less so when it comes to these particular types of games maybe.

Ok, so this time I'll ask you for advice. Another big mod for Gothic 2, Velaya: Tale of the Warrior. Yes/no?
Velaya was decent, it's set just after Gothic 2 and has good length
You can only play DEX though since you're a woman

Alphons

Cipher
Risen 1 and 3 sadly don't have the Polish dub.

Risen 2 has an OK one, but the best ones are Gothic 1 and 2.

notpl

Arbiter
Velaya, Legend of Ahssun, and Dirty Swamp are all very worthwhile total conversions in their own right, but nothing comes close to Archolos.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Velaya, Legend of Ahssun, and Dirty Swamp are all very worthwhile total conversions in their own right, but nothing comes close to Archolos.

Last year I've been playing through a series of Deus Ex total conversions. I guess in 2022 it's time for some Gothic TCs!

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter

Last year I've been playing through a series of Deus Ex total conversions. I guess in 2022 it's time for some Gothic TCs!
Hit me with those reccies brother.

catfood

AGAIN
I have reached the point where I have a choice whether to remain with the mercenaries or to go my own way. On the one hand I kinda want the hoodie armor, but on the other Lorenzo is really getting on my nerves. Regardless I did not expect to get this type of choice. Does the story change significantly afterwards depending on what I choose?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom