Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chronicles of Vaeltaja: In Search of the Great Wanderer - colorful open world grid-based blobber - now on Early Access

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer

Screenshot (1324).png

DEMO LINKS:
Steam: Chronicles of Vaeltaja
Itch.io: Chronicles of Vaeltaja

Finally I'm proud to present this retro-inspired crpg I've been working on for some time. If you love those old golden era pc-games like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Wizardry, Ishar, The Bard's Tale and Lands of Lore, this just might be a game for you. It is a party-based dungeon crawler rpg with grid-based movement, turn-based combat, character classes, skill and stat -system and lovely 2.5D pixel graphics, which combines pre-made and custom assets. It has multiple overworld areas with secrets and quests to be discovered, dungeons to delve (also optional ones), main storyline quests and other cool stuff to be found. And even Nvidia 3D Vision support for those who love stereoscopic 3D gaming.

Skills and stats doesn't affect only in combat and conversations, for example good perception helps you find more loot from crates and dead bodies etc, charisma affects to topics that npcs are willing to discuss and so on.

Witchgrove Games' motto is 'No tutorials, no hand-holding, no cinematic cutscenes - just pure joy of experiencing and discovering!'

[*]First-person exploration in beautiful and colourful world created with 2.5D pixel graphics combining pre-made and custom assets.
[*]Part of the main questline where some quests give you a possibility to choose from a couple of different solutions.
[*]Mythology inspired by ancient Gnostic writings.
[*]Six character party system with skills and stats that affect beyond battles and conversations.
[*]Nine character classes: Guide, Warrior, Hunter, Mage, Shadow, Priest, Witch, Knight and Witch Hunter (Conjurer coming soon!).
[*]Secondary classes for Mage (Warlock/Wizard), Priest (Healer/Saint) and Conjurer (Summoner/Necromancer).
[*]Grid-based movement that takes you back in the golden era of pc-gaming.
[*]Turn-based battle system with combat rows for party.
[*]Several overworld areas full of exploration.
[*]Atmospheric and dangerous dungeons where different enemies delve and puzzles await.
[*]Fight against animated enemies, such as bandits, bats, skeleton warriors, zombies, leechers, dark mages and other creatures of evil.
[*]Boss battles that might have other solutions than violence.
[*]Hand-crafted game world with no procedural generation.
[*]Dig treasures or search for other secrets!
[*]Multiple side-quests that may even lead to optional dungeons or other hidden secrets.
[*]Branching conversations where your 'charisma' and 'speech' skill are put to test.
[*]No tutorials, no hand-holding, no cinematic cutscenes - just pure joy of experiencing and discovering!
[*]Visual Inventory with item and equipment icons.
[*]Lots of equipment and items to help you on your journey - don't forget to buy at least torches as the dungeons are dark places to wander around.
[*]Quickbar for tools, such as torches, lanterns, camping gear and hour glass.
[*]Optional Instant Movement (coming soon)
[*]Use mouse and/or keyboard to interact with the game world.
[*]Control battles with mouse and/or keyboard.
[*]Interact with NPCs to access side-quests.
[*]Day/Night cycle.

For now you can follow the development and join the discussion in Dungeoncrawlers.org discord server: go to https://dungeoncrawlers.org/ and from the main page you'll find link to discord. Discussion about the game will be found in development/dev-games section.

I've also set up youtube channel where you can find videos showcasing the game: https://www.youtube.com/@witchgrovegames

Now also in Twitter: https://twitter.com/WitchgroveGames

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/witchgrovegames

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/witchgrovegames/

GOG wishlist: https://af.gog.com/wishlist/games/c...in_search_of_the_great_wanderer?as=1649904300

I'll be more than happy to answer any questions. I hope you enjoy!

Screenshot (1266).png

Screenshot (1273).png

Screenshot (1314).png

Screenshot (1104).png

Screenshot (1089).png

Screenshot (1275).png

Music by Eric Matyas
Other assets used in this project:
Ancient Dungeons Base Pack Copyright © Celianna
Animations Collection III Copyright © Degica, Co. LTD Resource creators: Andy Chen
RPG Maker MV – Essential Set Copyright © Gotcha Gotcha Games Inc. Resource creators: Murray Atkinson, Michael Rookard, Archeia, Lunarae
FSM: Woods and Cave Tiles Copyright © REFMAP Publisher: Degica, Co. LTD
FSM: Town of Beginnings Tiles Copyright © REFMAP Publisher: Degica, Co. LTD
Samurai Japan Castle Tiles Copyright © Degica, Co. LTD
Tall Sprites by Wayward (https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...-updated-everything-file-instructions.135139/)

Plugins used in this project:
Mimosa_MouseCursor by Anthony Padilla/Rosedale Studios
LTN_StatsAndSkillLevels by LTN Games (https://ltngames.itch.io/)
TurnInPlace by mjshi
MZ3D by Cutievirus (https://cutievirus.itch.io/)
JJMENET_CustomParametersPlus by JJMENET
GabeMZ_EquipRequirements by Gabriel “Gabe” Nascimento
MOG.TitleSplashScreen by Moghunter (https://mogplugins.wordpress.com)

VisuStella plugins:
VisuMZ_0_CoreEngine
VisuMZ_1_BattleCore
VisuMZ_1_ElementStatusCore
VisuMZ_1_ItemsEquipsCore
VisuMZ_1_MessageCore
VisuMZ_1_SaveCore
VisuMZ_1_SkillsStatesCore
VisuMZ_1_EventsMoveCore
VisuMZ_2_PartySystem
VisuMZ_4_EventTitleScene
VisuMZ_4_AnimatedPictures
VisuMZ_4_ButtonCmnEvts
by Team VisuStella: Yanfly, Arisu, Olivia, Irina (http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Main_Page)

EDIT: Made some edits in the description found in the spoiler tags and changed new screenshots.

Last edited:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Looks pretty cool, except the anime-like NPCs. You might also consider a lighter color for the sky; it looks weird that the sky is so dark when it's obviously daytime.

Is this made in Unity? Any guess about the system reqs? My PC is old as hell.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Looks pretty cool, except the anime-like NPCs. You might also consider a lighter color for the sky; it looks weird that the sky is so dark when it's obviously daytime.

Is this made in Unity? Any guess about the system reqs? My PC is old as hell.
Thanks! Skies will change, those are just place holders I've been using. There's gonna be clouds in the release version also.
I use RPG Maker MZ which sets certain restrictions. Original NPCs looked even more anime-like and I'm not really into anime myself. I'm not quite sure about system requirements yet as I've only had the opportunity to test it with my system which has ryzen 2600x as cpu and rtx2070 for gpu, but my friend tested it with much older cpu (I just don't remember what it was) and gtx1060 and it ran ok. But I will try to find beta testers with different specs closer to release.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
I added a gameplay video of the first dungeon to my youtube channel. Well, actually little bit more as I have to travel through the swamp to get there. Along the way I fight with leechers, cubbos, skeletons and green slimes. I use level 8 party so enemies doesn't give that much trouble and I've already completed the dungeon to avoid puzzle and item location spoilers, except one chest which was already opened. I wander through the first floor quite straightforward, so there's still two floors left for you to discover. I hope you enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
There's something fishy going on in the seaside town of Pramea... Are you up for the challenge to make it sunny and bright again..?

Screenshot (204).png

Screenshot (202).png

Screenshot (201).png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Looks awesome. I also used MV3D but didn't have enough time to build out entire worlds like you did. Super cool, best of luck. Put up store/download links if you haven't already.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Looks awesome. I also used MV3D but didn't have enough time to build out entire worlds like you did. Super cool, best of luck. Put up store/download links if you haven't already.
Thank you very much! I definitely will when the time comes. :)
It sure takes it's time and sometimes it feels so overwhelming, but all this positive feedback surely helps to keep going on!

Screenshot (225).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Celebrating Friday with quick visit to seaside town of Pramea. There's a way to make it sunny and bright again. Are you up for the challenge?

Edit: My wife just told it's Saturday! :lol:

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Looks decent so far, though combat will probably make it or break it.

One improvement I'd do, if possible, is to make the merchants visually obvious. I.e. if they sell weapons, have weapons behind them/on the table, etc. It is annoying when you don't remember who sells what, so you end up talking with all of them.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Looks decent so far, though combat will probably make it or break it.

One improvement I'd do, if possible, is to make the merchants visually obvious. I.e. if they sell weapons, have weapons behind them/on the table, etc. It is annoying when you don't remember who sells what, so you end up talking with all of them.
Thanks! Weapon shops will have signs outside shop showcasing what they sell. The shops in that latest video are not decorated yet, so there will be weapons and armour at display etc. depending on which shop you are in. I will make someday video that shows the shops in the starting town which are already decorated. I will also make in-depth battle video at some point that will show different status effects. I've taken little bit different approach for status effects, for example when you are 'stunned' it doesn't stop you from attacking, but it will give negative effects to damage, defending and targeting. I want to create as much depth as I can in battles and when you interact with the game's world. For example 'perception' can affect what you find from dead body you find lying on the ground and 'charisma' affects topics which npcs are willing to discuss with you and so on, so that there would be as much re-playability as possible. And there are also different possibilities to approach certain situations in quests.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Another premade asset bites the dust! Lake Road is getting new spruce textures. Still needs some details but getting closer to my original vision.

Screenshot (234).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
"Generations ago there was a king named Kearron I who was betrayed by his younger brother Kaelin and left to die in the wilderness. Kaelin crowned himself the king unaware that his brother was still alive. Wounded Kearron was found by a powerful witch named Leurena who healed his wounds. Angered by his brother’s betrayal he made a pact with the witch and promised that if she would help him to avenge his brother’s betrayal, he would claim back his crown and make Leurena her queen.

Kearron then started to spread a rumour that he was still alive and had gathered an army to take back his throne. He managed to lure Kaelin and his army to the very same place where he was once left to die. When Kaelin and his army arrived, Leurena cast a powerful spell which turned the deceitful king and his whole army into trees. This is how the Marsh of the Condemned was born."

Screenshot (235).png

Screenshot (236).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Twin Falls Fields and Autumn Valley are getting new textures. Don't mind the Minecraft mountains in Autumn Valley, they will change eventually.

Screenshot (246).png

Screenshot (245).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Today it's time for another video! This time I give you a quick tour in re-textured Twin Falls Fields:

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
I made a new video earlier than I thought, but I've been planning to make this for some time now: The Old Tower gameplay, which showcases one of the early optional dungeons.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom