Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition remaster

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

I wonder if the reputation of the game will change much, when more people get exposed to it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

†††

Patron
They clearly used AI upscaling for the backgrounds and it looks like shit. I guess it's better than making it super blurry like the FFVIII remaster. Lazy fucks either way. Play the original with a CRT (or emulate using a CRT filter).

Last edited:

N0rn

Novice
They clearly used AI upscaling for the backgrounds and it looks like shit. I guess better than making it super blurry like the FFVIII remaster. Lazy fucks either way. Play the original with a CRT (or using a CRT filter).
You know how it is with Square, sometimes I feel like they think it's funny to fuck up their ports and remasters one way or another.

Falksi

Arcane
I've never played it, so will grab it on PC when it's cheap.

Probably the best thing which this has done is upset all the fans who were desperate for a Chrono Trigger remake. Because the original which can be emulated on a fridge, and the four ports it's already had, aren't enough for the soppy twats.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
This is also coming to PC, PS, and Xbox.
It's been available for PC with emulation for a looong time.

I played this way back. The number of party members is fairly impressive, but iirc most/all the companion dialogue has just one version, that's then put through different automatic text filters. So it's really the same dialogue with 40 different accents.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
It would be better if it wasn't just an HD edition but they actually tweeked the story and made it less of a mess

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page.

"CHRONO CROSS: THE RADICAL DREAMERS EDITION" is a remaster of "CHRONO CROSS".

The 3D models have been upgraded to HD, new illustrations have been added, and all kinds of new features are now included. Additionally, the game that formed the bedrock of the story, "RADICAL DREAMERS - Le Trésor Interdit -", is included in this edition!

CHRONO CROSS is an RPG that transcends time and space, unfolding across two interlinked parallel worlds.
With over 40 party members to meet, people and dimensions will intertwine in this epic drama about the planet itself.Utilising an innovative turn-based style battle system, CHRONO CROSS is a unique RPG that follows the protagonist “Serge” as he crosses time on his quest to save himself dying in a parallel universe.

Those who purchase the game will also receive a CHRONO CROSS wallpaper!

New Features in the Remastered Edition
・3D models converted to HD・Refined character illustrations
・Higher-quality background music
・Switch enemy encounters on or off
・Background filter feature
・Battle enhancement features to make combat easier
・Auto-battle function
・Switch between imitation pixel font and HD font
・Change screen resolution

RADICAL DREAMERS - Le Trésor Interdit -
"RADICAL DREAMERS - Le Trésor Interdit -" was released in 1996 as a standalone game, and has not been easily accesible for play in recent years. Players can experience the story that went on to become the basis for CHRONO CROSS in an audio novel format. Here, an alternate story of the RADICAL DREAMERS, a group of three thieves - Serge, Kid and Magil - unfolds in a parallel world.

*You can switch between the new and old versions of the 3D models and illustrations.

*The 3D models, illustrations, font and background filter cannot be toggled separately. They will all be switched together.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Turning off enemies as a feature,in a game where there are no random encounters and that you can run away from almost everything?
Actually,when i think about it,most of the game's praise was the graphics.
I guess people can now turn off encounters and watch the ai up scaled backgrounds now more easily?

Don't sleep on radical dreamers though.
It's really good. Dejap made an outstanding, Xseed trails level fan translation that you should play if you like Vns
And, it has a lot of fun endings in addition to the main one, a reference to chrono trigger's often absurd ones.

I'm overall really pleased by this nintendo direct, it's like if they made it to cater to well, people like me.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Steam page.

"CHRONO CROSS: THE RADICAL DREAMERS EDITION" is a remaster of "CHRONO CROSS".

The 3D models have been upgraded to HD, new illustrations have been added, and all kinds of new features are now included. Additionally, the game that formed the bedrock of the story, "RADICAL DREAMERS - Le Trésor Interdit -", is included in this edition!

CHRONO CROSS is an RPG that transcends time and space, unfolding across two interlinked parallel worlds.
With over 40 party members to meet, people and dimensions will intertwine in this epic drama about the planet itself.Utilising an innovative turn-based style battle system, CHRONO CROSS is a unique RPG that follows the protagonist “Serge” as he crosses time on his quest to save himself dying in a parallel universe.

Those who purchase the game will also receive a CHRONO CROSS wallpaper!

New Features in the Remastered Edition
・3D models converted to HD・Refined character illustrations
・Higher-quality background music
・Switch enemy encounters on or off
・Background filter feature
・Battle enhancement features to make combat easier
・Auto-battle function
・Switch between imitation pixel font and HD font
・Change screen resolution

RADICAL DREAMERS - Le Trésor Interdit -
"RADICAL DREAMERS - Le Trésor Interdit -" was released in 1996 as a standalone game, and has not been easily accesible for play in recent years. Players can experience the story that went on to become the basis for CHRONO CROSS in an audio novel format. Here, an alternate story of the RADICAL DREAMERS, a group of three thieves - Serge, Kid and Magil - unfolds in a parallel world.

*You can switch between the new and old versions of the 3D models and illustrations.

*The 3D models, illustrations, font and background filter cannot be toggled separately. They will all be switched together.

Only 20 bucks? Nice deal.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why are people getting excited for this? Chrono Cross is an awful games with good graphics for its era and great music. Rehashed shit remains shit.

Perkel

Arcane
Turning off enemies as a feature,in a game where there are no random encounters and that you can run away from almost everything?
Actually,when i think about it,most of the game's praise was the graphics.
I guess people can now turn off encounters and watch the ai up scaled backgrounds now more easily?

Cross used old jrpg system of random battles. So you walk around and you get into battle.

It is good game. Like usual SquareSoft were master of presenting journey. Only weird thing about it was that they went with Suikoden theme of many party members.

Ahhh great times when developers were still experimenting from game to game.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Cross used old jrpg system of random battles
Uh,no it didn't?
Enemies were on screen and the only non avoidable ones were story events and some ambushes.
As for being a good game,well..
Let's just say experimentation doesn't really amount to anything if it isn't a actual improvement over the standard method.
Edit:
I also liked the suikoden amount of characters.It added some flavor in your options(no matter how little it actually mattered).Each one also having a somewhat unique elemental grid coupled with searching for their ultimate technique added some personality.
To me trigger characters were kind of stale minus Robo and Aya. Simplistic to a fault almost.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Much like Trigger, Cross' maps were often made up of narrow passages that made avoiding enemies impossible, so being able to turn them off will make backtracking less tedious.

Background filter feature
I wonder if this is on top of the upscaling or if this means we can turn off the upscaling and just have the original backgrounds. This is a modern, likely lazy, remaster, so I'm guessing the former.

I guess I'm one of the few who actually loved Cross, so I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Suddenly these ass developers are making these half assed remasters like crazies. I think they are scared that it is too late: now everyone can recreate AI upscaled remasters of their games by themselves from the originals, and run them where they want with emulators.

The leleving system relies on important/boss battles to advance, you only get resources from random fights and you can heal almost for free at the end (spending whatever heal charges you ended the fight with). Being able to skip them is nice, especially if you don't like the default battle theme.

flyingjohn

Arcane
The leleving system relies on important/boss battles to advance
Halfway the truth.
After each time you get a star from a boss battle you get small level ups 1-2 times in a row in upcoming battles.
The amount depends on which stats are near capped level and which are not.

This is mostly useful for speedrunners who just skip most of the content and use after star growth to even the stats.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I played Chrono Cross on release, was a really cool game. Great visuals, amazing soundtrack and I loved having such a large rooster. The nonsense story was a plus back then, we kept discussing fan theories, who was Magus in disguise, etc...

But without all this nostalgia and innocence, it's probably just a huge mess... especially with those upscalled backgrounds. Best to just play Suikoden II instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom