Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VI - Now available, so you can sink all your free time into it

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
I wouldn't be surprised if they did (even more) woke edition that disables combat in the game.

Which is pretty much what happens now, no one ever attacks you, because we should not be mean to each other. Just sit the game out, you're in a safespace. Only thing you will be fighting are the (more and more frequent) crashes.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who's even buying it currently? The original diehard fans have had it for years by now. I'd like to dissect one of those zoomer specimens buying the game on the fly, failing a game on Settler then promptly never opening it again lmao. AFAIK the steam statistics indicate that only something like 40(?)% of players have ever completed a game on Settler difficulty or higher.
Actually, the main point of making DLC is to get people to buy the game, now that it has this definitive + edition. The sales of the "all inclusive package" when a DLC is out usually outperforms(in $) the sales of the DLC itself. So in many cases, you could consider DLC as some kind of marketing push to get players that were on the fence, then forgot about the game to convert.

players that were on the fence,
Who the flying fuck is "on the fence" in regards to a sixth installement of a game in a relatively niche genre (by niche I mean it's not an FPS, MMO or gacha lol), that has been out for half a decade by now? Like 10 people on the planet? What statistical relevance does that bring?
My original point was that the only people who'd buy it at this point are doing so on a whim and they probably don't even complete a single game once they do buy it.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Who the flying fuck is "on the fence" in regards to a sixth installement of a game in a relatively niche genre (by niche I mean it's not an FPS, MMO or gacha lol), that has been out for half a decade by now? Like 10 people on the planet? What statistical relevance does that bring?
My original point was that the only people who'd buy it at this point are doing so on a whim and they probably don't even complete a single game once they do buy it.
People "On the fence" are probably people like me. I like the Civilisation franchise but I'm no rush to play their dumbed down abortions. A good package deal with a bunch of dlc might get me to buy the game at some point.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
Well, it's your money and all that, but you should know that no amount of DLC is going to polish this turd.
Why? Because it doesn't need added gimmicks on top of other gimmicks, but a re-doing from the ground up.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Civ 6 is relatively casual as it comes when it comes to strategy games, and it has very little competition. It might be the "default strategy game they have heard of" for a lot of people. Unlike more popular genres, the favor of the month doesn't rotate as quickly. I also waited for a few years and a deep discount to try the game, given the issues it started with.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Well, it's your money and all that, but you should know that no amount of DLC is going to polish this turd.
Why? Because it doesn't need added gimmicks on top of other gimmicks, but a re-doing from the ground up.
I just that said that I was open to buying the game if the discount was good and the DLC looked like it added something interesting to the game. I didn't say I planned to buy it.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Lolwat. Civ crushes paradox games popularity wise and is as mainstream as it gets for a PC franchise. In fact, even civ5 beats every paradox game on this front bar HoI4, which is the most popular paradox title by far. Which is fine by me tbh. I might dislike nuciv, but I won't deny they're at least actual computer games.

It's comparable, at WORST. Look at steam all time player charts, CK2 is on par, the rest of Paradox titles are at 50 or 60% of Civ 6. Compare subreddits, something as shitty as Victoria 3 has the same amount of people within the community as Civ 6 does. Paradox and its collective titles are on par or more popular, all things considered. You're just deluded.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Again - lol, no it's not. The only game that's slightly in the same ballpark is HoI4, but it can't compare to civ6. Which is a, what, 6yo game that's currently being played by 3x more people than just released V3? And civ5 is faring much better as well. Peak player counts don't matter shit for games with longevity of grand strategies/4X, particularly not for titles that had numerous free play promotions and then went f2p alltogether. You're kidding yourself if you think firaxis announcing civ7 now would cause stir comparable to paradox dropping hint of w95 animated screensaver iteration X being worked on.

Are you legit retarded? You're the only one who's comparing titles individually to begin with. I've been saying that as a collective, Paradox titles are more popular. Even the biggest Civ 6 """content creators""" like PotatoMcWhiskey have now switched over to Victoria 3 lmao. You failed to acknowledge how CK2 crushes Civ 5 on all possible metrics and compares to 6 and that's just one title alone. You also failed to acknowledge the popularity of subreddits - Hoi4 has nearly 350k people compared to Civ 6 measly 100k.
Again, you're deluded and in denial.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Are you legit retarded? You're the only one who's comparing titles individually to begin with.
Yes, cause it's a comparison that makes, you know, sense.
I've been saying that as a collective, Paradox titles are more popular.
Which, surprise surprise, you are basing on absolutely nothing and is patently false. When you look at the actually available data, nucivs are currently being played by more people than all paradox titles put together, by quite a distance. Which I still think is a fairly minor point and comparison that makes little sense. The point is that civ5, an absolutely ancient game by this point, easily beats each paradox title bar their one by far most popular game when it comes to active player base. And Civ6, a 6yo game, blows them all out of the water. And calling it "niche" is just absolutely lol, it's as mainstream as it gets, up there with the most popular PC games in existence, particularly if you disregard the strictly MP ones.
. You failed to acknowledge how CK2 crushes Civ 5 on all possible metrics and compares to 6 and that's just one title alone.
Wait, did you really just write that with a straight face? :lol: I understand you're a dum-dum who probably just looked at all time peak (which was just a momentary spike caused by one of the f2p events) and pooped his pants, but that's still a really embarrassing clanger to drop even when applying just logic and commons sense. Talk about being deluded.
Even the biggest Civ 6 """content creators""" like PotatoMcWhiskey have now switched over to Victoria 3 lmao.
You also failed to acknowledge the popularity of subreddits
I'm almost afraid to ask, but...
Are you legit retarded?

I bring numbers and facts. You bring denial and cope. There's no merit in engaging with someone like you. Think before your next reply and do it when you have an actual refutation, not a petty dismissal.
The shitty meme culture has made Paradox increasingly and undeservingly so - highly popular. You can keep denying the numbers, rationalizing it away with "lol reddit" or "lol youtube" but it is what it is.
Just makes you look unhinged, is all.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I bring numbers and facts. You bring denial and cope. There's no merit in engaging with someone like you. Think before your next reply and do it when you have an actual refutation, not a petty dismissal.
You failed to acknowledge how CK2 crushes Civ 5 on all possible metrics
:lol:

CK2 in 2020, which seems by far its peak year popularity wise and other years look waaay worse:
Capture.jpg

Civ5 in the same year, at this point a decrepit and rotten 10yo game that has longed been abandoned and with no dlc milking or other "support" in sight:
civ.jpg

Oh noes, muh copium canister is empty.

Not to mention that, let me repeat myself for 3rd or 4th time, at this moment it's played by more people than CK3 and any other paradox game with the exception of HoI4.

Seems like you are so obtuse that you need to be spoonfed more basic logic. The reason as to why my comparison didn't involve title vs title comparison (which you passionately cling to because it's the only dangling thread of cope you can hang onto, conveniently enough) is because of the simple fact that Paradox has a shit armada while Civ has a shit flagship once per generation, hence the player distribution naturally reflects that. When we speak about the POPULARITY of these games, peak players absolutely do count as a metric, because the CONSUMPTION of the product and sales is what it relies on, doesn't really matter if some retard opened the game twice and never did so again.
In regards to CK2, its playerbase is split, due to most modders and players moving to CK3. When you sum up all those dingleberries and account for the fact that you cherrypicked the year of CK3 release date like a retard you are, it easily compares.
EU4, Stellaris and Victoria 3 have about half these numbers in terms of average player number per month, HoI4 easily compares to Civ 6 with the latter having a slight edge:
HoI4
WOY9HMZ.png
Civ 6
cuXRKqA.png
But again, here's something you are highly uncomfortable with hearing because it doesn't compute with your preconceived notion: in terms of community content bolstered by the cancerous meme culture, these games enjoy a far greater reach on other platforms such as youtube and reddit. INDIVIDUALLY, at that. All the subreddits eclipse that of 6 by three times or more. Let's not even start on the topic of ""esports"", how retards like TommyKay, ISP, Bokoen and Dankus pull in numbers that'd made the most popular Civ 6 creators shit their pants. You sum all of this up and see how indeed, the Paradox collective, COLLECTIVELLY shits upon the brand of Civ in the current times, in terms of reach and popularity.

:deathclaw:

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
paradox are the king of strategy games if you think a single game that has gone through several iterations over the decades but has essentially stayed the same can compete with everything paradox has been creating you have to be high on copium

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Seems like you are so obtuse that you need to be spoonfed more basic logic.
Wait, wait, wait, you're not getting away so easily :lol: I still need to see the hard facts about CK2 crushing Civ5 in every possible metric and all other revelations before I cope even more :lol: You really need to lack the very basic level of self-awareness to not even realize how utterly dumb that was.
The reason as to why my comparison didn't involve title vs title comparison (which you passionately cling to because it's the only dangling thread of cope you can hang onto, conveniently enough) is because of the simple fact that Paradox has a shit armada while Civ has a shit flagship once per generation, hence the player distribution naturally reflects that.
So, did you check what is more played currently between nuciv and all paradox summed up? :lol: Cause I did, and I spelled it for you in one of my previous posts.

And let me remind you (I'm getting tired or repeating same basic stuff again and again) we are talking about 12yo and 6yo games versus titles that are mostly much younger and are aggressively showered with dlc, modding, dumbfuck-packs and what not and still Civ remains more played. How do you think situation would look like if we were talking about freshly released civ7?
When we speak about the POPULARITY of these games, peak players absolutely do count as a metric, because the CONSUMPTION of the product and sales is what it relies on, doesn't really matter if some retard opened the game twice and never did so again.
Which is yet another metric where Civ comes on top, for obvious reason - you need to live in a cuckoo land to think paradox franchises have as much sway as it does.
Oh, and since I can explain all the high iq stuff to all the time: the unusually high peak of CK2 is obviously a "glitch", most likely caused by f2p. It's basically twice as high as HoI4, which is the most popular paradox game by a huge distance. You really don't need to be a genius to figure it out.
In regards to CK2, its playerbase is split, due to most modders and players moving to CK3. When you sum up all those dingleberries and account for the fact that you cherrypicked the year of CK3 release date like a retard you are, it easily compares.
I've literally picked the year when CK2 was most popular and specifically spelled it for you in my post :lol:
EU4, Stellaris and Victoria 3 have about half these numbers in terms of average player number per month, HoI4 easily compares to Civ 6 with the latter having a slight edge
"Slight edge", "half these numbers" :lol:
But again, here's something you are highly uncomfortable with hearing because it doesn't compute with your preconceived notion: in terms of community content bolstered by the cancerous meme culture, these games enjoy a far greater reach on other platforms such as youtube and reddit. INDIVIDUALLY, at that. All the subreddits eclipse that of 6 by three times or more. Let's not even start on the topic of ""esports"", how retards like TommyKay, ISP, Bokoen and Dankus pull in numbers that'd made the most popular Civ 6 creators shit their pants. You sum all of this up and see how indeed, the Paradox collective, COLLECTIVELLY shits upon the brand of Civ in the current times, in terms of reach and popularity.
I'm not uncomfortable with anything, because I don't like nu-firaxis (I'm on the record of not being a super fan of old firaxis either, tbf) and I don't like paradox. But, of course, I don't know much about reddit, e-celebrities and meme culture so we can agree that you are the expert on those and paradox is the king on these fronts, as long as you stop repeatedly making a dum-dum of yourself when it comes to matter of games actually being played and outlandish claims of "niche", "crushing" and so on.

Wait, wait, wait, you're not getting away so easily :lol: I still need to see the hard facts about CK2 crushing Civ5 in every possible metric and all other revelations before I cope even more :lol: You really need to lack the very basic level of self-awareness to not even realize how utterly dumb that was.
A small addendum to that - every possible metric except the number of average players, which as I've shown earlier doesn't really matter jack shit in terms of how popular something is. That's just the copium you keep huffing because it's the only pillar you can hold onto to not be swept away. It's also why you cite "B-B-B-B-BUT IT WAS FREE!" constantly to argue whatever strawman you've made up, but I wasn't getting into why's and how's for even a second (aside from pointing out the impact of meme culture and social influencing) - that's all on you.
So, did you check what is more played currently ...
Again, absolutely irrelevant. If you want to split that hair, Paradox has about 150-200k average players spread out through its modern, ongoing titles. Civ 6 + Civ 5 have about 60-70k.
As for Civ 7, yes, I believe it would perform better than any individual Paradox title up till date in terms of initial sales, average player count, peak player count. You're again trying to shoehorn a strawman whereas I've pointed out times and again that I measure Paradox games as a collective against the Civ collective. That's because the original premise was basically a posed question of "who currently is more influential in the zeitgeist of modern strategy gaming"?
Which is yet another metric where Civ comes on top, for obvious reason...
Uh, absolutely false. But I suppose they fail to teach basic math wherever you spawned from. Again, Paradox armada both collectively outsold and outperformed in terms of peak player counts, the Civ 5 and Civ 6 duo. You'll likely parrot again how individually it is not so, to which you can refer to my first paragraph above.
"Slight edge", "half these numbers"
Yeah, the numbers of Hoi4 vs Civ 6 gravitate around 30-40k avg and 50-70k peaks, at the moment. Stellaris, Victoria 3, EU4 have about half of these. What's incomprehensible about that? Check it out if you don't believe me, I can't be arsed to spoonfeed you more screecaps.
so we can agree that you are the expert
I am not an expert by any means, but we can agree that you're a snide cunt who has at least acknowledged his ignorance in the matter. I don't watch any of that shit, I do happen to know about it though, in the same way I know about a myriad of other things. Your attempt to shame me for acknowledging the social and cultural impact of Paradox games just shows how weak truly your intellectual position is, nothing more or nothing less.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom