Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
https://www.crusaderkings.com

https://af.gog.com/wishlist/games/crusader_kings_2?as=1649904300

The medieval dynasty simulator just got released on Gamers Gate. Release version is also different from the pirated version leaked a few days ago. Looking forward to this.

ioPc1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
1.02b? Hopefully it means fixed mongols. Cant wait to play this. Want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now want now but at work...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Stop working Trash and tell us, what are Merc maintenance costs in comparison to demo? Have they changed them, or they are supposed to do that in a next patch?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Downloading now, will take a lot of time tho since I'm at work and my connection here is crappy.

Costs a lot of money in zł but well, worth it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I looked into it. Seems the costs are higher for some and not for others. As I replied in that thread, I think it's a balance thing. As the Paradox guy said, mercs become less powerfull as the game goes on and levies increase. In the preview version you could also count on the AI using them if it could afford them. Seems this wasn't the case with the demo, so people went all OP about them. They're a strong force but with growing levies and an AI that also uses them I would not call them OP.

Will play the game for a bit later on and see.

AI constantly uses mercs, just not right at the beginning. As the game goes on it will be hard for you to even hire mercs because they are constantly out on AI contracts.

So, what's the problem then? AI uses them as well so they're not giving the player a distinct benefit. They're expensive to hire so only the extremely rich can by them en mass and they will turn on you if you can't afford maintaining them. Levies become larger and larger so their role becomes less important as time goes by. Hell, they're even in big demand so you can't rely on them being available whenever you want. I think it's a pretty elegant system.

I think I get it now. Balance problem my ass. People want to play CK2 as just another mappainter and get pissed when this seems difficult. Can't wait to see how they'll react when they notice their powerfull ruler falling over from a common cold.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
As I wrote on their forum mercs allow you to fight on equal footing with anyone, even the HRE or BE - at least thats my experience in around 1200. That needs balancing.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Could anyone check if they've fixed the bug where high crown authority doesn't increase minimum levy size?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
As I wrote on their forum mercs allow you to fight on equal footing with anyone, even the HRE or BE - at least thats my experience in around 1200. That needs balancing.

You can if you can afford them and only then when they're available. Hiring enough mercs to be able to take on HRE or BE costs a fortune. If you can spend a fortune on mercs as a tiny power then the balancing should probably not be aimed at the mercs but at a tiny power getting a fortune.

Why did you assume it was more expensive? As a aside unless you are a duke with decent income paying for mercs is a huge commitment on your part. Likely you are basing the very life of your family, rule, realm, on this one shot at suceeding. The problem here isnt the cost, its reload and restart. This is the problem, eveyone wants to be sucessful in thier game. You rarely see posts of people saying I did X, and wow Z happened and I got my arse handed to me. Its all...I pwned the Byzantines, overran the middle east, and took the HRE for good measure. Really...Frankly I am sick of posts like that and have been since CK1. So lets get a grip girls.

This.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Bros, report immediately if you figure out a way tp include pagan selectability without save-editing or the selection trick.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

You can if you can afford them and only then when they're available. Hiring enough mercs to be able to take on HRE or BE costs a fortune. If you can spend a fortune on mercs as a tiny power then the balancing should probably not be aimed at the mercs but at a tiny power getting a fortune.

With my limited experience in 1200 I was able to put a decent fight vs the Byzantine Empire with just three warbands (best ones, about 12000 strong) as my duke of Greater Poland and few assorted duchies. Didnt even raise my levies initially as mercs raped BE armies. Only when war started dragging on and BE started pouring their endless replenishing levies I started losing. If I had enough gold to hire ALL mercenaries I would conquer the City of Mens Desire. And that wasnt collapsing BE either, it was a crusading state that conquered its way to Persia.

With attrition limits and competent merc generals 3 warbands can easily defeat many times their number of levied armies. I did that and I do not consider myself a good player.

But yes, its easier to get gold than levies.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
If you don't have a nasally voice and you're able to explain what you're thinking without stammering and getting self-conscious, I would appreciate a Lets Play. I hate to be so demanding, but I noticed that I turn off any Lets Play that are more painful to watch than sit in silence--so save yourself the effort.

But I would love to see this game in motion. I'll fist you, or something.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Without proper events and gameplay changes it will just suck, Vaarna. I'll wait for a good mod or the inevitable DLC.
There's still enough meat to start with, as I gave them a spin in the "demo" that was leaked. Besides, first you need to open them up.

Also, they fixed the selection screen bug, so you can't play as everyone anymore.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I think I get it now. Balance problem my ass. People want to play CK2 as just another mappainter and get pissed when this seems difficult. Can't wait to see how they'll react when they notice their powerfull ruler falling over from a common cold.

Reminds me of the moaning about shogun 2 when everything goes apeshit. Doesn't take long in these kind of titles where you're gaming the system and sitting on fuck tons of gold with a god king ruler that has stats pouring from his arse. Map painters are best when your fighting tooth and nail for every gain.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Downloading now

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Can't wait to see what modders can do with this game, since it's pretty awesome out of the box.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It doesn't even properly compare to the other Paradox titles. It's different... and so so so much fun. :love:

Basically, you manage your family, try to get many children (somehow most of my children die before me, always... which, at one time, led to my sister wanting to kill my only daughter which was born when I was already over 30 because she was my only surviving sibling, and if I had died without a child, she would have inherited...), conquer lands and claim titles, do intrigue, try to keep your relations with other lords (and your family members) up and marry your children into higher positions, etc etc...

It's basically medieval dynasty simulator, and it's awesome.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Just found a nice new way to deal with rebellious family members. Banishing them is giving CB to strangers, putting them in jail is inelegant and chopping off their heads is bad for my image. So, what to do? Had two half brothers who were pretenders to my own noble and rebelled against him. So after defeating them I took their titles and released them. Now I had two thoroughly pissed off pretenders living in my home so in order to stay healthy I had to think of something. So, I made them into clergy by giving them bishop titles. No more in line, no negative traits, not stirring up trouble home and abroad but stuck in a monastary to live out their lives. Nice.

It's even somewhat historical as putting younger sons into the habit was done quite often back in those days. Still, I wonder if this can bite me in the ass later on...

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
its shit compared to glorious tw series because there is no potato hussars with wings and : x

i mean look at this graphics it looks like crap

+ i dont play games to manage excel sheets lol

Heh, I can't even manage to do this shit properly, someone be more funny than me thanks

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
If you don't have a nasally voice and you're able to explain what you're thinking without stammering and getting self-conscious, I would appreciate a Lets Play. I hate to be so demanding, but I noticed that I turn off any Lets Play that are more painful to watch than sit in silence--so save yourself the effort.

But I would love to see this game in motion. I'll fist you, or something.

This one is good I think

Renegen

Arcane
Have you tested it extensively? Because this sounds like a load of rubbish. Firstly, the AI can also use mercs, but worse, their levies regenerate just like yours, except they have 2x, 3x the land so they will wear you down. Wars are battles of attrition, it can take a year, even close to 2 years to capture a whole province later on, during that time the levies regenerate completely and crush your puny 1 shot mercs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom