Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

CKII is released.

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Trash, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    I'll bring Memento Mori up to scratch (compatible with the latest patch) today. TPATT used to be the best but it's been awfully quiet for way too long now. VIET is also nice.

^ Top  
  2. Quilty Magister

Quilty
    Cool, I think I remember using MM before, it definitely made the game more lethal and interesting. I guess this time I'll pick someothing other than vikings because they're simply overpowered, maybe I'll focus on bringing down HRE from the inside or something like that.

^ Top  
  3. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Memento Mori for CKII 1.103

Memento Mori is a mod born out of a simple ambition. To bring back a little bit of the uncertainty and excitement that came with managing a dynasty in the original Crusader Kings with the excellent DVIP mod. While Crusader Kings II is in almost every aspect an improvement on the original game, Paradox has drastically lowered the difficulties and dangers that your characters run into during their life in the middle ages. Diseases back then were deadly, medical care was more apt to kill you than heal you, giving birth was like playing Russian roulette and violence maimed and killed as often as it gave prestige. This mod attempts to emulate the hardships that people endured in those times. Mind you, this is not made to make life for your nobles impossible or the game a whole lot more difficult. This is designed to make you stop taking easy births, easy sickbeds and long lifespans for granted and to make you be a lot more invested in the succession of your lineage. In short, to make the Medieval Dynasty Simulator part of this amazing game a little more exciting. Hope you enjoy it!

Diseases are more virulent and deadly.
    Wounds are more serious.
    Battles have become slightly more dangerous for the participants.
    More prestige gained for participants in battle.
    Traveling over the sea has become a bit more like the dangerous thing it used to be.
    Assassination attempts have more serious consequences.
    Sieges may lead to buildings being destroyed.
    Children can now be stillborn.

Memento Mori: http://www.mediafire.com/?4zzeq5t6tj9o3uu

For those interested in a larger mod there is Memento Mori Expanded for CKII 1.103. In it I've integrated those mods that I feel are absolutely necessary for Crusader Kings II but don't change around the basic gameplay too much. In it we've got the excellent extra ambitions and objectives from the Additional Objectives 2.0 mod, the beautiful coats of arms from Arko's Armoriepack, Syren's Nicknames mod, the best portrait mod with the extremely pretty Cultures and Portraits Revamp and the Culturally Different Cities mod. Which makes the worldmap look that much better that it's amazing Paradox themselves never bothered. All of these mods won't change around the vanilla game too much, but it sure becomes a hell of a lot more fun to look at and play around with. Have fun.

Memento Mori Expanded: http://www.mediafire.com/?idd4dhx75sdipsr

Many thanks to Wiz, Cybrxkhan, Vaarne Aarne, Syren, apg, fawr, avee, GAGA extrem, rafek, the_chancellor and all those other people whom I bothered with endless questions and from whose mods I both learned and burrowed. Especially a big thanks to all the mods included in this expanded version. This thing wouldn't exist without you!

Also linking to the excellent El Cid's Music Mod which adds the music of both the original Crusader Kings and Medieval: Total War to the soundtrack. Get this, it's excellent. Just copy the files into your music folder and copy song.txt there as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a5llm22cjd2dyrz/music.zip

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    Were regular lifespans (people who don't get diseased/wounded/not involved in battles) altered as well? Dunno what those mordvin weirdos put in their porridge, but in my current game they seem exceptionally long-lived, a few even got to 90+.

^ Top  
  5. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    In the mod? Natural change of dying for older characters has remained the same as in vanilla. People and especially nobility reaching old age really wasn't that uncommon. It was more that society as a whole was younger and that average lifespan was low because of the high child mortality rate. Those that made it to 45 had a very good chance to reaching their mid sixties.

Fertility should be up, with the goal of females having at least ten pregnancies in life. With about a 20% chance of dying themselves in one. If half of the children born make adulthood it's fitting with what we know was the norm at the time. Pdox number generator can be a bit dodgy at times though and seems to 'favor' the player when it goes through a cycle. Meaning it seems that it tosses the dice a bit more enthousiastically for you than for the AI.

PS: Wanted to include the excellent Duel mod but that modder hasn't updated it for ages now. If a new one appears I'll toss it in. Am also looking at VIET. It's a fun atmosphere mod but has a few dodgy elements that make me wary of adding it. Do like the events though. Well, at least the ones that are not aimed at memes and shitty elder scroll references.

^ Top  
  6. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Most of my Byzantium bearded schmucks die in the 50-65 period, almost no one seems to live past 65 as a rule, so I don't know what to say really. 70 is an outlier and anything much above that is insane.

^ Top  
  7. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Random Number Generator God is wierd. Incidently, while MM is just updated for the 1.103 version the expanded version includes all the updated versions of the mods mentioned. Shitload of work to make it all work together but I'm quite happy with it. If shit goes wierd on you lemme know.

Not sure if there will be a new version or patch btw. Wiz made a comment that he won't be updating his CK2plus mod anymore after making it compatible with 1.103 since apparantly that should be the last ToG patch. And Wiz works at Pdox. Whether that means a new expansion or that they'll just toss in some more flavor dlc and leave it at that remains to be seen. With EU4 on the way I'm sceptical about earlier claims of them about two more years of content. Still, apparantly ToG sold really well so perhaps they intend to keep on miling CK2. Perhaps Wiz is just not into CK2plus anymore. We'll see.

^ Top  
  8. KoolNoodles Arcane

KoolNoodles
    What's the word on Old Gods? I won't be getting it until it hits 75% sale(screw your dlc Pdox), but have everything else and of course CK2 is great(I do not have Montezuma's revenge, however. Maybe if I could play Aztec). Come to think of it, a CK2 style game set in the "New World" would be awesome as hell(only America though, no Euros allowed).

^ Top  
  9. Bratislav Arcane

Bratislav
    Anything worthwhile in the new expansion if you already beat the game?

^ Top  
  10. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Well, it basically fleshes out pagans a bit more and introduces raiding into the game. I find it a pretty kewl expansion. Honestly, apart from the flavor stuff and the Aztecs all the mayor DLC have improved the part of the gameplay they were aimed at. Islam, Byzantines, Republics. ToG isn't any different. Now eagerly awaiting a 'theocracy' dlc to make religion more fun.

^ Top  
  11. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Overall Old Gods is hands down the best individual expansion so far I'd say. It livens up the joint all over the place, and the extended start date is p. cool.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    You forgot to mention the best part: crush your christian enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women (when you take them as concubines :smug:).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    Basically lets you play in a period where the Christians/Muslims aren't as dominant and non-major religions having a shot at re-establishing their church.
    Raiding mechanics gives these smaller, savage kingdoms a chance at amassing wealth etc.

^ Top  
  14. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    It's interesting to note that in a game called Crusader Kings christians are the most boring religion. The defining characteristic of Catholics is... their priests pay the pope instead of you if you piss them off. And Orthodox don't even get that distinction. All the other religions can still excommunicate and call holy wars, but with additional perks. I mean come on, the nordic ability to declare an invasion and have people flock to your banner is exactly the kind of shit that I want to see when my pious king puts out the call for men of God to retake the holy land.

How is the GoT mod btw?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    Next DLC maybe.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Easily the biggest mod there is at this point and probably one of the most inventive regarding game mechanics and so on. They really have a good team working on it and either came up with stuff like duels and better sieges or improved on it. All that innovation does mean shit sometimes isn't working right though. I find it enjoyable, but am not that big of a GoT fan to really get into it.

And yeah, a theocracy dlc being next would be the most logical thing. We'll see.

Incidently, nerfed MM a bit (ie shitloads) as the God of Random Numbers was being way too much of a bitch. I swear there is something dodgy going on in the way Pdox has that one determine outcomes.

^ Top  
  17. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Yeah, I don't get the mods that really change the setting of the game dramatically (that goes for EU mods, too). I thought the whole point of Paradox games was their historical plausibility, however much people like to rag on them for getting details wrong.

^ Top  
  18. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius

Meh, historical plausibility past the starting date is niche in most paradox games, IMO. Just look at the bizantophiles. If anything, EU and CK are about giant waves of data competing to see how you can fuck up history the most.

And that's :love:

^ Top  
  19. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Sure, but the attraction is still playing a vaguely plausible historical sandbox. We all love LARPing as Byzantine emperors, right, not some fantasy guy from bumfuck fantasy world? RIGHT? OH GOD WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO.

Spot on about fucking up history, though, I've always felt you can't really love Paradox games unless you already know quite a bit about history to appreciate how off the proper course you've sent things. If you don't know any history, it's like, well, what's the big deal? I don't understand, didn't Byzantine colonize the Caribbean?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lagole Gon Arcane Patron

Lagole Gon
    So what's up with that sooper sekrit teaser?

Vikings everywhere. Fucking vikings are the new zombies.
    Crusader Kings: even older gods?

^ Top  
  21. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Cthulu vikings? Paradox, DON'T BE A FAGGOT. DO IT. You already did Sunset Invasion, so we know you're down for it.

^ Top  
  22. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    They already said it's not from PD. Meaning it's a game they publish instead of develop.

^ Top  
  23. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    That'd be sorta cool. There's already that easter egg event chain in TOG, after all.

^ Top  
  24. Cosmic Misogynerd Self-Ejected Patron

Self-Ejected
    Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
    Link?

^ Top  
  25. Cosmic Misogynerd Self-Ejected Patron

Self-Ejected
    Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
    I wish there was much more events in CK2. I know that mods already fixed this (specially TPATT, but it doesn't work with Old Gods), but I wish the vanilla game had a fuckton more, because managing your dynasty becomes really boring sometimes. At least with that shit of improving a weak stat you have some fun binary CYOA but they are not so common.

That's why you end just conquering and annexing heathen county after heathen county:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.