Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
edit: after the first charm passes, it becomes obvious Hearts of Iron is still by far the best PDX series. Everything else is a highly dumbed down version of it with a lot superficious crap tacked upon it. The world belongs to my Denmark-cum-HRE now, but I think I'll go schedule another CV/CL fleet instead.
HAHAHAHAHAHA, I love when these wargamers come in and call HoI the best game in the series. I can't even sit through an hour of HoI.

mondblut

Arcane
HAHAHAHAHAHA, I love when these wargamers come in and call HoI the best game in the series. I can't even sit through an hour of HoI.

Must be awful when the game forces you to do something other than watching the paint dry and the grass grow, eh? :smug:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
@suejak

HoI is hardly a game catering specifically to 'wargamers.' These are a niche nowadays and filled with balding neckbeards who lose sleep over stuff like what counter to move where in War in the East. It is however yet another Pdox game that caters exclusively to people who want to change a map to their chosen color.

And if you want the mod that's closest to the DVIP experience go for The Prince and the Thane. It's awesome but hasn't been updated in awhile. So to play you'll have to revert to an earlier version of CK2 in steam. Which is pretty simple. Viet is a decent flavor mod as well, though not really going for the difficulty that DVIP had. It however does add shitloads of events. Memento Mori is a small mod I made that's basically trying to make things a bit more difficult and interesting by adding such things like childbirth deaths and actual mortal heirs and so on.

Incidently, I made a version of Memento Mori for TPATT.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
nHnzOgH.jpg

For Xipe-Totec!

P.D. Fuck the map painting haters.

Cassidy

Arcane
@suejak

HoI is hardly a game catering specifically to 'wargamers.' These are a niche nowadays and filled with balding neckbeards who lose sleep over stuff like what counter to move where in War in the East. It is however yet another Pdox game that caters exclusively to people who want to change a map to their chosen color.

I agree it is in no way a wargame, but,

I mostly enjoy playing doomed countries in Hearts of Iron that can barely hold their line, let alone expand, like Poland or in a certain Alternate History mod, African Union, where it is more usual for the AI, despite their shortcomings, to repaint some provinces of the country I'm playing with with their color, rather than the opposite. So what does that make of me?

The much deeper strategic combat mechanics of Hearts of Iron make war fun, and even more at MP, rather than the banal shit boring warfare in Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings. I play it for the sake of these more detailed combat mechanics making war fun and interesting rather than a chore like in the other Paradox series, and to offset the AI shortcomings, I always pick underdogs in SP.

oscar

Arcane
Hearts of Iron as a major or even a medium power is a cakewalk. While the more in-depth combat is good, the AI simply isn't good enough to exploit it like the player can.

That said, Kaiserreich for HoI2 is undeniably cool.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Actually, that's the only way for me to now enjoy these Paradox games. I've all played them extensively and enjoyed them loads but grew tired of them always coming down to the same thing. So, to make them more interesting I started out with a weaker nation and set myself a goal. That was always fun.

What irks me is this feeling that Pdox has stopped trying to come up with interesting mechanics and is now fully commited to letting their customers paint maps. The dynasty managing in CK1, the political game and rebellious generals and governers in EUL Rome were very fresh and ambitious. I miss stuff like that in the later titles.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Guys, is there a simple way to find people who are willing to come to my court? There's a handy thumbs up/down icon on the portraits when looking for claimants for a particular region, but there's no such feature in the normal people search. Is there a mod for this, perhaps?

Quilty

Magister
I've already said it but whatever, if you are like me and you detest these games that devolve into map painting, just grab Trash's mod Memento Mori and watch some lethal fun roll your way. Maintaining a dynasty actually becomes the focus of the game, which is not the case in vanilla.

titus

Arcane
Patron
It breaks the traits. They added a new trait and instead of adding it at the end of the list they inserted it in the middle :retarded:. All the traits after the new one shifted IDs. There's already a mod that fixes the problem.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Updated Memento Mori to be compatible with 1.11.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dp8284nj2d358np/MM1111.rar

The expanded version is going to have to wait. The portrait and COA mods are apparantly incompatible with the new patch. They've done quite a bit of work under the hood actually. Tooltips and so on have been reworked. Nothing you'll really notice while playing but you will if you want to mod. Probably is one of the reasons why a lot of mods aren't working very well with the new patch. Will take a lot of text checking. Thankfully Memento Mori is small. Unfortunately it might take a while for a Memento Mori Expanded to appear.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It breaks the traits. They added a new trait and instead of adding it at the end of the list they inserted it in the middle :retarded:. All the traits after the new one shifted IDs. There's already a mod that fixes the problem.
Well, then it's a non-issue for me, since the save is just the end date.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I have a pretty cool game goin' on.

Started as a designed orthodox sheikh of Alexandria with hugeass diplomacy to counter the permanent -26 Infidel penalty. After a very slow start, I managed to assemble the entire Emirate of Alexandria and install my brother as Emir of Cyrenaica and break free of the Fatimid overlords.

Then I proceeded to lose Cyrenaica right away to the African scum to the west. After hand-picking, importing and converting every good character in Europe I could get my hands on, I built up a solid army and conquered the rest of Egypt (and Nubia) as it was being invaded by vikings. And yes, vikings came to dominate North Africa, with Tripolitania and Kabyeta becoming Norse Petty Kingdoms.

Then things became awesome, as there was a cool dynamic in the levant with the balance of power between Byzantium, Arabia, Egypt and Persia - good positions and everybody had great rulers. I went through defensive wars allies with each of them at some point, but ultimately I settled with the Byz and partitioned the levant with them. Here's the latest screenshot:

BC6165C14C82744073719659EEE7CE7FCDB1DE73

Here it is freshly imported into EU4, which actually seems like a cool start:
A19714F538830B418347EC0BAC07AFC58CDA176C

But I think, for now, I'll continue the ck2 save to invade Rome and restore the Pentarchy while my dood still has enough prestige and piety, then release it as a republic and play as it to restore the Glorious Roman Republic!

Borelli

Arcane
If you are orthodox why the dynasty name and not title name for a state? How did you get galicia? Wait, how did you survive muslims as orthodox?

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I believe that realm names are tied to your culture group, so any Arabic and Iranian realms are named after their ruling dynasties regardless of religion. My dudes were Egyptian (Arabic) so they got dynasty names, however Norse Africa does have the actual duchy names.

Galicia is a long story. 80 years previously, my second ruler took the throne and soon enough had a son. With all the careful breeding and tutoring, the son had godlike stats and traits when he grew up, and I married him to a high stewardship princess of Galicia. Since I didn't have any titles to spare for him, he left my court for the Galician kingdom to forge his own destiny. Well, funnily enough, my ruler decided to stay alive for the next 40 years and by the time my son inherited the throne, he had already made a name for himself and ascended the Galician throne as Sultan Remix the Great (Egyptian titles).

Mudslimes weren't easy to beat, like I said I lost Cyrenaica and had a few back and forth wars with the Abbasids. Having the Mamluks as a cheap doomstack for rent certainly helped, and at one point I even inherited the title Emir of the Mamluks out of nowhere. Good generals and abusing attrition in Sinai were the keys to victory.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I believe that realm names are tied to your culture group, so any Arabic and Iranian realms are named after their ruling dynasties regardless of religion. My dudes were Egyptian (Arabic) so they got dynasty names, however Norse Africa does have the actual duchy names.
This is correct.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys!

I was playing CKII with all the addons to form the great scandinavian empire (to use that for world domination in EUIV). Starting out as Iceland and after a lot of struggle, me lucking out quite a few times (like winning all of France in a holy war) and countless hours spent on playing I had almost achieved my goal. Only some provinces of Denmark missing. It was glorious.

Then Windows fucked up my disk and I had to format everything...

:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

I don't know if I can find the motivation to go through all that again :(

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still don't see myself copying savegames from various folders onto my encrypted external HDD regularly. I mean, this is the first time this has happened to me. I formatted more often, of course, but I always did it planned with enough time to do a manual backup before.

But I'll sure as hell try to find some kind of software to automate such a backup process for me.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Well, yes, but Dropbox is too small. I only have ~ 500MB left on mine and 500MB are nothing ;)
I found a program that stores backups via FTP upload. That is fine, as it allows me to use my own webspace for that (which has ~10GB left, enough for backup purposes).

It's called Personal Backup.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I started playing as one of the recommended dudes from the old gods start date. It seems every time my ruler dies, his kingdom is split up and as the heir I have to reconquer territory. For some reason I can't grant my heir and landed titles and it always tells me on one of those icons at the top that there is a succession issue and I will lose territories when my dude kicks off.

How do I change this? What succession law do I choose?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom