Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware CLANG - Realistic fencing kickstarter game is dead

thesoup

Arcane
I guess nobody here is familiar enough with Neal Stephenson's work to know what a ridiculous perfectionist/researchtard he is?
Please do elaborate.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I guess nobody here is familiar enough with Neal Stephenson's work to know what a ridiculous perfectionist/researchtard he is?
Please do elaborate.
Guy basically does enough background research on the concepts within his novels to the point where his notes probably contain hundreds of dissertations and he created his Subutai Corporation to research and practice sword/weapon/martial arts shit because he was dissatisfied with how he had portrayed it in previous works. Neal Stephenson owns.

Sul

Savant
That's not Gabe is it? Just a guy they found that looks like Gabe?
Yep, it's him. Same beard, same voice, same fat. He is even forging a crowbar.
"These things... They take time.":salute:

Sul

Savant
That's not Gabe is it? Just a guy they found that looks like Gabe?
Yep, it's him. Same beard, same voice, same fat. He is even forging a crowbar.
"These things... They take time.":salute:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Look here people, just because you hate casual consoletrash like most wii games, it doesn't mean you have to hate everything that uses motion control. It's OK to think for yourself occasionally.

This looks like it should be tons of fun if they pull it off.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I hope their motion controller comes with a wrist strap so I don't accidentally fling my claymore into the TV. any meaningful swordfighting movement would require way more open floor space than most people have in their living room, let alone the bedroom/basement/office/whatever where they keep their PC.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I hope their motion controller comes with a wrist strap so I don't accidentally fling my claymore into the TV. any meaningful swordfighting movement would require way more open floor space than most people have in their living room, let alone the bedroom/basement/office/whatever where they keep their PC.
Projector much? :smug:

But I agree, I love the idea but I'm not sure how the fuck they're going to pull this off.

Serifan

Novice
This has potential, if done right it could be a great deal of fun. I'm surprised they are not going to use the motion controller in conjunction with something like kinect it would allow for much more fluid reproduction of your movements.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
AFAIK they are going for a higher quality "motion controller", so that should help quite a bit. Movement is an interesting question of course.

Second controller in off hand with a d-pad, WII style?

Those allergic to motion control are off course free to develop their own implementation of keyboard/mouse control using the framework they create.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Doesn't work. You're swinging at air. No contact with another blade gives that awkward feeling. Might as well make a bow simulator.

waywardOne

Arcane
It's going to fail if they can't implement via traditional controls. WASD for movement, hotkeys & L/RMB for strokes or combos, mouse for facing. And the equivalent translation to a controller.

That's it.

almondblight

Arcane
Guy basically does enough background research on the concepts within his novels to the point where his notes probably contain hundreds of dissertations and he created his Subutai Corporation to research and practice sword/weapon/martial arts shit because he was dissatisfied with how he had portrayed it in previous works. Neal Stephenson owns.

The guy who said that 300 had to be about white people vs. brown people because it was Greeks vs. Persians?

Dexter

Arcane
Look here people, just because you hate casual consoletrash like most wii games, it doesn't mean you have to hate everything that uses motion control. It's OK to think for yourself occasionally.

This looks like it should be tons of fun if they pull it off.
Yeah, I was against motion controls because everything I've seen so far including WiiMote, Kinect and Move is simply shit and not fit for purpose, but this shit has the potential to pwn:

It's also technically two controllers, so it could be used in various ways e.g. two weapons or sword+shield or similar.

I wanna imagine using it together with this xD

And as some people said, this is not as much a "game" as it is research into how to properly do sword fighting in games.
Maybe with good ol' GabeN picking it up and using it in a proper game since he apparently really likes sharp objects:

2184308-2871.jpg

http://www.giantbomb.com/giant-bomb-valve/17-4014/

Or other ppl like those Japanese that always want to slice stuff...

Also there's this:

How are you going to handle sword on sword collisions with regards to feedback?
We've been thinking about this for years. It's not in the videos because to try to explain it here would get us hopelessly deep into the weeds. We think we have an approach that will work. It’s hard to explain in detail without a very lengthy brain dump. It's not just One Big Awesome Solution. It's a number of separate techniques working together. Some of these are familiar (visual, auditory, and haptic feedback) and others center on some innovative UI schemes. If you allow the controller’s position to get out of sync with what is shown on the screen, you get some feedback to that effect and you get UI cues on how to get back into sync.

In general,if you drill down deep enough on the actual sword techniques, the tree of possible outcomes gets pruned way down. It turns out that you rarely have to solve the fully general problem of one sword stopping another sword traveling at top speed at an arbitrary location in space. Which is a hard problem!

If you are "swinging for the fences" with a sword attack---which is to say, if you are assuming a long follow-through---then you're probably doing it wrong. You don't have to cut the other guy in half. You just have to hit him. In most of these arts, you're trained to pull the attack and stop with the sword between you and the adversary. If the attack succeeds, you're done. If it fails, you have stopped with your blade in a tactically sound defensive position instead of swinging all the way through and taking your sword completely out of the action.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh look, another overpriced gimmicky controller for all the technophiles to rush out and buy.

almondblight

Arcane
How are you going to handle sword on sword collisions with regards to feedback?
We've been thinking about this for years. It's not in the videos because to try to explain it here would get us hopelessly deep into the weeds. We think we have an approach that will work. It’s hard to explain in detail without a very lengthy brain dump. It's not just One Big Awesome Solution. It's a number of separate techniques working together. Some of these are familiar (visual, auditory, and haptic feedback) and others center on some innovative UI schemes. If you allow the controller’s position to get out of sync with what is shown on the screen, you get some feedback to that effect and you get UI cues on how to get back into sync.

Eh...by "haptic feedback" they mean the controller shakes?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's so nice of him trying to give a muddled, vague answer from a 'well-informed' position to answer a serious question about how an actual gameplay would look and feel like.
Go back to larping.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
At the very least the Power Glove made for some nifty Halloween costumes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom