Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware CLANG - Realistic fencing kickstarter game is dead

Overboard

Arcane
Fiore has a lot of blade-on-blade work, although he ends the actions at the bind more quickly via grapples (a lot of gioco stretto), whereas the (very varied really) German tradition tends to work from and in the bind (winden, binden) for comparatively longer before coming to grips. Also Fiore is medieval, same as the Lichtenauer tradition. If you want renaissance two handed work, look at Alfieri, etc.

ARMA is a joke and has been for years, all the best people left a long long time ago.

Finally, ffs man Ochs is quite different from the stance portrayed.

Overboard

Arcane
Haha I'll admit it's not possible to watch swordfighting scenes anymore, it's just too obvious they're just trying to look cool and not actually hit each other.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Fiore has a lot of blade-on-blade work, although he ends the actions at the bind more quickly via grapples (a lot of gioco stretto), whereas the (very varied really) German tradition tends to work from and in the bind (winden, binden) for comparatively longer before coming to grips. Also Fiore is medieval, same as the Lichtenauer tradition. If you want renaissance two handed work, look at Alfieri, etc.
Ah, 'bind' was the word. Thanks. And thanks in general - updated my journal.

ARMA is a joke and has been for years, all the best people left a long long time ago.
Since when? :( It does seem like the website has been the same since I used to read about swordfighting 8 years ago, lol. What is the best now?

You mean Crono? Yeah that was stupid of me to say that "it's just like" it lol.

Overboard

Arcane
Since when? :( It does seem like the website has been the same since I used to read about swordfighting 8 years ago, lol. What is the best now?

Apart from generally losing members in the last decade, there were two great purges, the last one being just a couple of years ago. There's no real 'best' now, even ARMA in it's day was just the biggest, but their insistence on being some 'secret mountain-top training camp' and refusing to allow members to interact with other clubs/associations meant that they were always going to become irrelevant sooner rather than later.

You mean Crono? Yeah that was stupid of me to say that "it's just like" it lol.

Well I wouldn't say it was stupid, probably more me being too pedantic really.

almondblight

Arcane
Well, its estimated release date was February 2013. Anyone here know what's happening? It seems some of the backers aren't terribly happy:

Okay, so I realize at this point the answer is probably obvious, but for clarity, the chances of you hitting the original Feb 2013 release are pretty much zero now, aren't they? Software is hard. Hardware is even harder, and time estimations are the worst of all, but when you aren't going to hit a target, you should probably revise the estimates of the people who you told the original target to. I don't mind waiting longer - others might - but you haven't posted any actual progress here since Nov. 09, 2012.

Emily

Arcane
It was just a scam guys. News at 11. Impossible goal that sells dream to ignorant unwashed masses. He got away with so much money, and he isn't legally obliged to offer anything in return.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fools and their money are soon parted. Shit had pointless tech dump written all over it.

Gord

Arcane
What was it they want(ed) to sell anyway?
A game or simulator with great fencing or just some soft-/hardware framework that can be used to produce a game with realistic fencing?

Btw., there was a backers only update on february 18th.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
A PC game that requires some special hardware to play.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was under the impression it was going to be hardware/software framework with a proof of concept game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
From the KS description it seemed there was a pretty elaborate backstory/setting for the game but who knows.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Sad to see that Neal Stephenson was part of this scam. I enjoyed his novels.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Herp-a-derp.

We'll have an update later this week about CLANG. I realize the end of February is coming up quick.
Thanks,
-mark

Among other things, I've seen live gameplay from CLANG. Which is already more than 99% of the game KS have been able to produce so far...

But dumbfucks gonna dumbfuck, eh?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In these videos, we're actually directing the character with the Hydra to perform these actions. We've solved a lot of problems over the last months to get this far, and we're quite pleased with the process. The difficult tasks ahead of us are fine-tuning and making things fun, and as you know, these things can take an inordinate amount of time. It's coming up on the end of February which was our first estimate for finishing the demo, an d we've realized we could use another month or two to polish. We've got the budget for it, and that's what we're going to do.

Additionally, we're working on the next steps after the demo is finished, and we've started making the rounds and talking to investors. The Kickstarter for CLANG was to get us to the point of having a functional demo that is fun to play, and we're thrilled that we think that's going to happen, but it's only the next step in a long chain.

Our internal conversations recently have been about player vs player OR player vs AI. While PvP is what we're all looking for, the cold hard reality is: how hard is it going to be for you to find someone else to fight at a time when it is convenient for you? And if we're looking to get a lot of user data about how people are playing it, a steady stream of data from players trying to beat the various AI opponents is a much richer data set.

Regardless, we need to get a functional AI working as part o f the QA for sword fighting and so that's been our focus of late. We call him "Chuck," because Chuck Norris knocked out the Platonic Ideal of Bad Ass before breakfast one day, and now all red-haired bad asses use his name.

Told ya so.

waywardOne

Arcane
WTF? Wouldn't logging pvp help them write the AI? These people are not smart. FFS, every donor would likely be more than willing to make time to test pvp.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
The time for that will come eventually, for now I think they're best left alone, coding in their cellar. With such a small team, the extra work from organizing "helpful feedback" would effectively kill any sort for progress for weeks.

Overboard

Arcane
The Kickstarter for CLANG was to get us to the point of having a functional demo that is fun to play, and we're thrilled that we think that's going to happen, but it's only the next step in a long chain.

Wait so the kickstarter was just to get a(n as yet unreleased) demo going? And the (previously unstated) plan was always to secure additional funding from investors to be able to complete production of the game?

How nice.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Oh for fucks sake. Here, let me do the reading for you:

CLANG will begin with the Queen of Weapons: the two-handed longsword used in Europe during late medieval and early renaissance times. This is a well-documented style that has enjoyed a revival in recent years thanks to the efforts of scholars and martial artists worldwide.

At first, it'll be a PC arena game based on one-on-one multiplayer dueling (which is a relatively simple and attainable goal; we don't want to mess this up by overreaching). Dueling, however, is only the tip of the sword blade. During the past few years, we have been developing a rich world, brimming with all manner of adventure tales waiting to be written--and to be played. In conjunction with 47 North, Amazon.com's new science fiction publishing house, we've already begun publishing some of those stories, and we have plenty more in the hopper. Once we get CLANG off the ground we intend to weave game and story content together in a way that'll enhance both the playing and the reading experience.

Should really stop posting the updates here, seeing how they seem to hurt the sensibilities of fine gentlemen who never put down a penny on the project in the first place :roll:

Emily

Arcane
It's like that thing Total biscuit talked about preordering games and being emotionally invested in them, to the point that you are ready to defend even obvious scam by devs.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
CLANG is now on Steam Greenlight
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=132179846

This alpha is rather playable, though pretty rough all around. I haven't gotten the chance to try with a motion controller, so it'll probably be much smoother with one. I have played Die by the Sword, Severance and whatnot. Compared to those, CLANG is pretty much unique as sword fighting games go. I'm pretty hyped, though the learning curve is quiet steep. Don't expect to hack 'n' slash to victory once the bot gets some tweaks.

Fucking Razer Hydra is really, really expensive though. I have -50% discount code, but the bundle is out of stock :cry:

Have to think for a moment before making purchase.

The biggest potential for this is the tech. I can only imagine a Die by the Sword -clone with some modern ultraviolence, using CLANg tech... Mmmmmmmm... Basically, it really needs a game built around it.

Will post more figments of my imaginary experiences with the elaborate hoax once I have the time to play it out for realz.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom