Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Classic games that you want to play... eventually. But you just keep postponing and postponing. For years.

Fargus

Arcane
For me it's System Shock 2 and Planescape Torment. Two cult classic games that i always wanted to play through because i heard nothing but "ooooh its amzing gaem!!11 a must play arpeegee gaem\imsim!!!1" for years. But sadly i never got around doing it. For... reasons.

PST will probably stay unplayed. Even though it's "WOW BEST WRITTEN RPG EVAR".

System Shock 2? Likely. Just never seem to be in the mood to install and play it. Or busy with stuff or with playing something else.

quaesta

Educated
Balder's Gate 1. I'm a lazy faggot and I keep forgetting to go back to my save. I don't even think it's a bad game, just that I'm not addicted to it like I was with Fallout or AoD.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Quite a lot, I've never made significant inroads towards the classic RPG series of the Gold Box, Wizardry or Ultima series. Well, I did play UUW, but that's kind of not counting.

I feel like I'd most like to get back to if I had the time are Betrayal at Krondor and the Exile trilogy. I played the hell out of Exile III back when I only had a shareware copy and never got around to playing the full commercial title even when I had the time.
Funnily enough, I am actually making my way on a classic game I kept postponing, Ironseed. Finally bought the remastered version, which for once fixed most of the issues I had with the original game.

Arcanum - I've tried to play a few times already but the shitty combat mixed with the weak beginning keep bouncing me off.
The Temple Of Elemental Evil - This one I really don't know why, I guess it is because I'm not really much of a D&D fan in general.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Realms of Arkania trilogy
I get overwhelmed during character creation. I need to sit down and really plan it out in advance some night. I'd like to play/complete Blade of Destiny in 2023.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, RoA, and whichever one of SSI’s goldbox 2E games is supposed to be the best.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Realms of Arkania trilogy
Same here.
I still remember my gaming buddy almost in tears when describing the things that happened to his party who hadn't bought extra underwear for their field trips. He was so distraught that I almost hugged him.
Was going to play the remastered version, but I don't think it has appeared on GOG. I guess the non-anema graphics are too problematic to GOG nowadays.

Also Master of Magic. Playing Age of Wonders first, and loving it, doesn't help. Neither does the smudgy graphics and rumours of worst AI ever (not that AoW's AI is any good).

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
There is a lot of new fags in this thread thinking they have the right to speak.

For me Baldurs Gate 1&2 but it’s already 20 years so I kind of accepted it probably won’t happen. I’ve been meaning to replay Arcanum and Deus Ex since like 2006 and 2007 but those games I finished and are excellent. Temple of Elemental Evil I never finished but kind of want to because it was too buggy at release and that’s when I played it.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
BG2

e: I made it quite far once, but that was like 17 years ago. I've started the game like a million times but I always stop playing after having completed Waukeen's Promenade. Recommend me a build and I might pick it up. It's been on the list forever.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've played all the classics more or less.

But here's some I've not finished, but should, or that I never really found the time for:
Bard's Tale series
Lands of Lore 2 (I loved 1, why didn't I play 2?)
Ultima 6 (started a few times but it just doesn't grab me - I had an easier time with 4)
Dark Sun (any) - never played past the arena. Not sure why exactly.

axx

Savant
Too many to even count, Throne of Bhaal is the most notable one

Borelli

Arcane
15-20 years ago i first heard about Betrayal at Krondor and how excellent it is. I put it in my backlog.

It is still there :negative:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It will wait for you, I think it holds up well. Just wait for a rainy day.

Tihskael

Learned
Deus Ex, stopped halfway, find it difficult to go back in. Well that is the case with most games old and new. Also fuck the Black Mountain mines in Arcanum, dropped the game twice there. Almost makes me glad that Troika shut shop.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Darklands and Planescape Torment. I've tried Planescape Torment almost 20 years ago after having played all other Infinity engine games but I hated the combat in Torment, which was somehow leagues worse than the other games. The setting and writing didn't leave an impression with me at all back then. But all the people claiming its good makes me think I might have missed something. I never tried Darklands but it sounds very interesting. Another game thats been sitting for a long time on the backbench is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. I've skipped the 4X-genre almost entirely up to this point but always intended to give it a go.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think everyone should play the System Shock games but in the correct order. People seem to just play SS2 because it's the one that gets talked about the most but that's a really bad idea. The first game is just as good if not better, but the story of the second one doesn't even work properly if you haven't played the first. So play both. And don't be put off by their age, they are still as good as anything that came after.

I would recommend using a mouse look mod for the first game though which I know is blasphemy to a lot of people. It does make it easier but it's still challenging and scary and fun and everything else so play it.

__scribbles__

Educated
Every time I try to play Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, I quit when I get to Tarant. I've read that the game picks up after Shrouded Hills, but I never feel the desire to see how my characters will develop or where the plot is going, unlike Deus Ex or Fallout. The combat feels really stiff as well.
Oddly enough I feel the same way with Planescape: Torment, even though it has a better story hook. I think the beginning is just too slowly paced for me to get anywhere meaningful, and the combat grows old very quickly.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Bard's Tale trilogy, it looks cool but the limited party building options kill it for me. Like, you need a Bard, and you need at least 2 of those samey spellcasters, thieves are useless, monks are a no go because they lack equipment options, so there's not a lot of room to experiment.

Ultimas <6, again they look cool but limited character building and simple combat system plus need to draw your own maps always held me back. I'm not actually a char building or combatfag so I'm not exactly sure why that turns me off so much, but I'd rather not write down notes out of game either. I'm planning on at least playing 5 one day as it's kinda pleasing to the eye.

Wasteland, I tried the remaster once but it's over the top goofy and gameplay seemed clunky/unintuitive. It would still be good to play this game as a Fallout fan.

Wizardry, all of them except 8. Not a fan of very old blobbers, but I guess I should at least try 6 and 7.

Grimoire. Waiting for V4 :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom