Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Classic RPGs Panel with Adam Heine, Swen Vincke, Josh Sawyer, Mitch Gitelman and Annie Mitsoda

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Adam Heine; Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda; DoubleBear Productions; Harebrained Schemes; InXile Entertainment; J.E. Sawyer; Larian Studios; Mitch Gitelman; Obsidian Entertainment; Swen Vincke

In case you didn't notice it the last two times I mentioned it in a newspost, there was a panel entitled Classic RPGs Forever at PAX Prime last Sunday. The panelists were Adam Heine of inXile Entertainment, Swen Vincke of Larian Studios, Josh Sawyer of Obsidian Entertainment, Mitch Gitelman of Harebrained Schemes and Annie Mitsoda of DoubleBear Productions. The panel was not streamed, but thanks to Larian, we now have an audio recording of the proceedings:

There are no major revelations here, but it's fun to hear the Codex's favorite RPG development heroes/villains discussing the Definition Of An RPG and other related topics while evangelizing their design philosophies. Notable moments include Adam Heine expressing his shock at what RPGs had become after his ten year hiatus from gaming, Swen Vincke complaining about game journalists' tendency to label his game as a Diablo clone, Mitch Gitelman calling Batman: Arkham Asylum an RPG, and some genuinely insightful reflections from Annie Mitsoda on the role of choice and consequence in defining a character. If you don't have the time to listen to it yourself, Roguey has helpfully summarized the panel here, with the typical Roguey biases of course.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Next year WE need to host this, so we can crucify people who don't actually know shit about "Classic RPG's". Including the host...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think the host was that bad, other than being a bit of a dick at the end there.

The funny thing about the panel was how somehow everybody kept circling back to talking about the definition of an RPG and about choices.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Who would go?
Our own devs.

VD, Josh Sawyer (represented by Roguey communicating only in Josh quotes) of course and whoever of the other guys can show up (Charles-cgr, Styg, Oscar/Elohim, Whalenought Joe, Eric Schwarz, Cleve videoconference, Craig Stern, etc). Maybe can invite MCA.

Aoyagi

Scholar
"Classic RPG's"

Jaesun, mate, did you notice that the title on OP doesn't use an apostrophe to make a plural of "RPG"? That's because it's the correct way according to majority of guidelines. Every time I see that error under MMORPG on the forum home site, I weep for the superior humanity that congregates here. Apostrophes are not a game.
:fight:

TomatoJuice

Educated
A very interesting panel.
But way too short.

5h would be a more adequate time frame.
For RPG DEVS sleep is optional.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Adam Heine sounds like a Bro.

... and Sven still says ID instead of IDEA. Somebody got to tell him. All Original Sin videos and now again.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tags: Adam Heine; Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda; DoubleBear Productions; Harebrained Schemes; InXile Entertainment; J.E. Sawyer; Larian Studios; Mitch Gitelman; Obsidian Entertainment; Swen Vincke

In case you didn't notice it the last two times I mentioned it in a newspost, there was a panel entitled Classic RPGs Forever at PAX Prime last Sunday. The panelists were Adam Heine of inXile Entertainment, Swen Vincke of Larian Studios, Josh Sawyer of Obsidian Entertainment, Mitch Gitelman of Harebrained Schemes and Annie Mitsoda of DoubleBear Productions. The panel was not streamed, but thanks to Larian, we now have an audio recording of the proceedings:

There are no major revelations here, but it's fun to hear the Codex's favorite RPG development heroes/villains discussing the Definition Of An RPG and other related topics while evangelizing their design philosophies. Notable moments include Adam Heine expressing his shock at what RPGs had become after his ten year hiatus from gaming, Swen Vincke complaining about game journalists' tendency to label his game as a Diablo clone, Mitch Gitelman calling Batman: Arkham Asylum an RPG, and some genuinely insightful reflections from Annie Mitsoda on the role of choice and consequence in defining a character. If you don't have the time to listen to it yourself, Roguey has helpfully summarized the panel here, with the typical Roguey biases of course.

7bEbKKj.png

Next year WE need to host this, so we can crucify people who don't actually know shit about "Classic RPG's". Including the host...

7bEbKKj.png

Our own devs.

VD, Josh Sawyer (represented by Roguey communicating only in Josh quotes) of course and whoever of the other guys can show up (Charles-cgr, Styg, Oscar/Elohim, Whalenought Joe, Eric Schwarz, Cleve videoconference, Craig Stern, etc). Maybe can invite MCA.

7bEbKKj.png

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
She's an idiot, and no, for you SJWs it's not because she is a girl. It is because she is an idiot. She's in good company as pretty much everyone on that panel are idiots. And, they're all guys. LMAO

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Classic CRPGs panel with Josh Sawyer.
Next up, Jewish Tolerance Meeting with Adolf Hitler.

Athelas

Arcane
That's an outrageously unsympathetic comparison. Everyone knows WWII wasn't simply an act of malice on Germany's part, but the tragic result of a nation buckling under deacdes of post-WW1 sanctions.

mondblut

Arcane
Roguey has helpfully summarized the panel here, with the typical Roguey biases of course.

Apparently the most important issue we have learned from Classic RPGs is not enough women on the panel, and bikini armor must be banned.

No country for the old men.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
His favorite RPGs came from 1988, 1992, and 1997 and were better choices than the others on that panel (an aytpical game-he-worked-on-himself and Banner Saga? Eye of the Beholders? Bread baking simulator?).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom