Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Classic space RPG Planet's Edge released on GOG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: New World Computing; Planet's Edge; Ziggurat Interactive

One of the major players in the classic game rerelease business these days is a company by the name of Ziggurat Interactive, who emerged on the scene about a year ago after picking up some licenses from competitor Retroism (including the one for Darklands). It seems their latest acquisition is the New World Computing catalog (excluding Might & Magic which belongs to Ubisoft of course). One of three legacy NWC titles released on GOG yesterday is 1991's Planet's Edge: The Point of no Return, a space RPG I probably would not have known about if Neal Hallford of Betrayal at Krondor fame hadn't mentioned working on it in interviews. It's an interesting-looking game that appears to combine aspects of Starflight and Star Control with top-down exploration and turn-based combat reminiscent of Ultima VI. Ziggurat have put together a nice trailer for this release which I'll post along with its description:

When the alien craft entered Earth’s solar system, the human race was alive with excitement. However, when it was accidentally fired upon, the consequences were dire. In a burst of electromagnetic energy, the entire planet Earth disappeared, leaving its gravity well and the moon behind.

In this open world, sci-fi role-playing game, you are part of the Moonbase team on a desperate mission to bring Earth back. You must assemble and equip your crew, customize your ship and set out in search of unique parts to create the Centauri Drive, a device your team hopes will reverse the electromagnetic phenomenon that swallowed Earth.

Travel between dozens of stars, harvest resources to repair and upgrade your equipment, meet and negotiate with friendly (and hostile) aliens, and do whatever it takes to stay alive and bring Earth back.

Planet’s Edge features:
  • An open-ended story driven by the player
  • Dynamic, real-time spaceship combat
  • Mining, trading and puzzle solving
  • Turn-based ground combat
  • Customize and upgrade your ship for any situation
  • Select your crew (or clone a new one) and equip them for success

Planet's Edge is available on GOG for $8, with a 25% launch discount until next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I need to youtube the combat. I get pirates of realmspace vibes (which was buggy).

edit

ok, it looks a lot like Starflight + WOTES + U6.

I was hoping ship to ship combat was a little different. I wasn't a huge fan of real time combat in starflight. It works but TB would have been cooler imho.

I keep wondering if abandonware titles keep on getting absorbed by steam/gog.

Hit those hard to fuck around with win 95/98s and 3.1 titles. I hate fucking around on dosbox or other methods on new hardware (as much a as i do attempt to these days).

23415-planet-s-edge-the-point-of-no-return-dos-front-cover.jpg

Getting vibes from first Star Trek movie.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Okay, New World Computing, really cool looking space RPG, looks like Starflight meets Ultima 6 ... so why have I never heard about this? (Very often, the explanation is simply because its kinda 'meh')

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That is one damn beautiful game.
If any of you pick it up or have already played it, please share your impressions. Really want to know if this is even remotely as good as it looks. Seems too good to be true.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Played this years ago. It's really cool, but I doubt all of it aged well. In case they never fixed the bug: Press 'o' to orbit a planet. The orbit button doesn't work.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
They add mouse control and smoothen the fonts? Somehow I am not entirely impressed.
BUT, on the other hand, the original (haven't played yet) probably would anyway be better than whatever inane shit they would put in.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is the crew member with the red uniform seen in the trailer supposed to be Jon Van Caneghem?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If any of you pick it up or have already played it, please share your impressions. Really want to know if this is even remotely as good as it looks. Seems too good to be true.

I played it years ago and it's pretty good. Not 10/10 material, but good.

It's the only game out there that feels like a proper Star Trek style RPG. Each main quest planet you visit feels like beaming down into a Star Trek episode.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Its crap directly as a RPG, since you have four pre-generated characters and the only way you can change their stats is by cloning them. Its got a lot of strategy elements that bog things down for a while. Beyond that its just okay, real-time awkward space combat with Ultima 6 ground combat. Its not really worth it if you're not desperate for a Star Trek sci-fi RPG. Some of the actual Star Trek games are better for that, even if they aren't real RPGs either.

Sinatar

Arbiter
The pathfinding of your party members is so dire in this game, it makes the on foot sections utterly infuriating.

Oh look a giant pool of toxic waste, i'll just carefully walk around it while my party all run into the middle of it and die. Wheeeee!

grimace

Arcane
New World Computing Co-Founder Mark Caldwell Interview with Ziggurat Interactive

Ziggurat's own Michael Devine sat down with New World co-founder Mark Caldwell to talk video games, studio life, and the importance of passion in game development.

Today Ziggurat launched 3 classic games from New World Computing. Check out Wetlands, Zephyr, and Planet's Edge on @GOGCOM, now 25% off!

https://youtu.be/NLbdPF0anuM

My notes:

Adopting a book publisher model
they didn't want to just make role playing games

9:00 The artists at the time were all girls

10:30 Planet's Edge

Mark Caldwell wasn't overly involved and doesn't remember how it came about.
New programmer named Eric worked on it.
First game of NWC with 3D aspects.

Gyor

Savant
From the trailer the game play really reminds of of Subverse, although clearly Subverse is far, far more advanced on graphics and tech. Like being able to upgrade the ship/fighter, the mix of Shoot'm with Tactical RPG elements, flying between star systems, ect...

The other game it reminds me of is Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace a crossover Spelljammer FR game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Why the lensflare? I mean, its sex ok. Kind of hard to obscure it. So, for those inclined, patch it I guess.

mondblut

Arcane
Hit those hard to fuck around with win 95/98s and 3.1 titles. I hate fucking around on dosbox or other methods on new hardware (as much a as i do attempt to these days).

That requires more competence than repackaging a crack from a warez group, so you shouldn't expect GOG to buy these off Shlomo, Rabinovich, Goldstein & Sons IP-in-Bulk, LLC.

mondblut

Arcane
Okay, New World Computing, really cool looking space RPG, looks like Starflight meets Ultima 6 ... so why have I never heard about this? (Very often, the explanation is simply because its kinda 'meh')

It also doesn't have character progression, to my knowledge. I played some of it in the 90s, and meh it was.

Also, arcade space combat is horrible shit.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So better practice my Asteroid/defender gaming skills (though i think starflight is a closer fit)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Okay, New World Computing, really cool looking space RPG, looks like Starflight meets Ultima 6 ... so why have I never heard about this?
Dunno, it is somewhat obscure, but not really obscure. Sci-fi was less popular than fantasy, so you tend to remember them all. Planet's Edge, Hard Nova, Xenomorph, Spacewrecked and Captive...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom