Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Close Combat series

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I suppose they're not really strategy games, more tactical "combat simulations", but I still think they are some of the best games I've played. In a lot of games, reckless stunts like rushing are actually a good way to beat the enemy, in this series it's more likely to result in an annihilated squad or a mutinous one. Support fire, line of sight, squad moral, surpression, weak points in armor are just a couple of things that I've never seen represented better in any real-time (or turn-based for that matter) "RTS". Never played the first game, but all of the others still get some time on my computer now and then. CC III is probably my favorite, due to the awesome tank battles you can get (IS2 FTW!), although Invasion Normandy would take that place if not for the boring maps. I guess the Bocage isn't supposed to be fun, but they could have tried. Also, this might just be me, but anti-tank guns have a harder time hiding in the Bocage than I expected and bunkers with machine guns aren't the kill spots that they should be on the beach maps.

Any thoughts on this series and are there any worth trying?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I liked number 4 best, but its been years since Ive played them. I liked its focus on infantry.
GI Combat supposed to continue the CC series but that game tanked. After GI Combat I totaly lost interest in the series.

Blitzkrieg, Codename Panzers and Sudden Strike are similar, but they focused more on tactics, tanks and big explosions instead of realism.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
CC4 was Battle of the Bulge? I really liked that one, completely different dynamic as you play the undergunned US VS a very well equipped German offensive.

Steel Panthers was another excellent tactical game from SSI as well.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Anti-tank guns are useless in CC5. Too damn slow. I've always tried to substitute them for bazooka carrying units, far faster. Relying on bocage for cover is tricky. Trial and error deployments.

The map actually means something in CC. You need observe the details, plan based on it.. unlike most RTS where the map is eye-candy between bases/where best to bottleneck the AI.

Great Series, sadly come to an end.

LCJr.

Erudite
I still think CC2 is the best of the series. I like the smaller scale battles and the Arnhem campaign is one of those great "what if's". It's a lot fun with Brucer's RealPara mod. The morale levels have been reduced so units don't fight to the last man.

CC4 is pretty much considered the dog of the series and I have to agree. They seem to have gone way overboard with weapons lethality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom