Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Close combat series

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by mr.doo, May 4, 2011.

1. warci Educated

warci
    This probably has been answered in some other thread, but here goes:
    Never played a CC game, where do i start / which is best?

^ Top  
  2. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Close Combat 2 Market Garden.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Sadly A Bridge Too Far is very prone for crashing on modern OS.

^ Top  
  4. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    Its modern remake Last Stand Arnhem, which sadly is not available on Gog, and Matrix charges too much for it, works all right on modern systems.

^ Top  
  5. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    It will probably be released on GOG eventually.

^ Top  
  6. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    How is Panthers in the Fog?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ushas Savant

ushas
    Neat! Was hoping to play those since sser's retrospective.

Was also looking for some reviews, so just in case this one helps:

That was entertaining :lol:

Basically he says might be worth to consider if one already played all the other ones. No campaigns, 25 scenarios.
    Hm, even with the current discount not so cheap for ~11 years old title.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Luka-boy Arcane

Luka-boy
    I enjoyed my time with it. In fact it´s my second favourite Slitherine release after Cross of Iron, even if the latter is a re-release.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    Anyway - is anyone up for a MP match?
    Gateway to Caen, Last Stand Arnhem (demo version works fine in MP - tested), or Panthers in the Fog.
    Either single battle, or a whole operation.

I haven't played CC in ages.
    GMT +2

^ Top  
  10. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Slitherine pricing.
    Perhaps they know what they are doing since they've managed to keep lights on and they release very steady stream of new games.

^ Top  
  11. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    They started longer and more discounted sales on steam this year, despite claiming that they will never do that for some easily overthrown reasons, so there's also that.

I don't want to suggest that their change of mind has something to do with poor financial condition, or similar; just pointing out that someone in the management finally realised how to potentially increase sales and reach bigger audience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

^ Top  
  13. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Close Combat 3 was also pretty good. The main difference is that CC2 has an extremely well done campaign closely built arount real events, and with a unique point based unit pool that feels extremely rewarding.

You can play one of three separate campaigns individually and even a single one of them alone is massive. Playing the Grand campaign (that links them together) is also possible and will be a second job - I don't think I ever finished it.

CC3 is just a string of random engagements on the east front that get boring quickly. Also CC3 has not AI improvements whatsoever, and that is the real killer. I played it for a few days, knocked out all Soviet tanks and then massacred their infantry. This gets old pretty fast.

My recommendation is to get CC2 and start with the Eindhoven campaign, playing the US. Don't begin with Arnhem as the British because that is by far the hardest. It begins with a mission to take the railway bridge that is imo practically impossible, so expect to get your ass kicked at first. Keep in mind that the British will have not a single tank until XXX Corps reaches Arnhem - while the Germans have half tracks and tanks.

It's very rewarding as the Germans too who are outnumbered but have the better heavy weapons. The thing is just that you can bring Operation Market garden to a standstill already at Eindhoven and then it becomes a repetitive slaughter of the Allies who keep attacking - not very interesting. But it is definitely fun in the first days when you just have a few Schützen and MGs, stall the Allies and get stronger round by round.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Dead Guy Arbiter

Dead Guy
    The number of kills some of those MG teams have by the end of the CC2 Grand Campaign...

:shredder:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    which matrix remake has the best campaign and carry over aspects based on battle results in your opinion?

^ Top  
  16. Koba134 Barely Literate

Koba134
    Is Close Combat 4 : Battle of the Bulge any good ?

^ Top  
  17. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    I bought that one when it came out and didn't like it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.