Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[closed] Codex Best jRPGs Ever Poll

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
tl;dr - Codex poll, for jRPGs only
The results - https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/codex-best-jrpgs-ever-poll-results.142270/

I must admit I'm vexed with how dismissive the hivemind tends to be towards the broadly defined jRPGs - sure, Rance had some exposure here, SMT is a household name, and Japanese Wizardries are a guilty pleasure of any decent individual. The few jRPGs which somehow make it to the usual GOTY lists are met with impressive whinging and second-guessing their nature as RPGs, as is customary everytime a new release shakes the market. Some very old step-based stuff gets a pass, because it's rare enough to warrant 'back in my days' attention.

People like all sorts of jRPGs, though, and I think we have never had an honest sit-down and decided which games are actually good. Time for a Best jRPGs poll - modelled after felipepepe and Deuce Traveler polls, only I'm not a mathematical savant, so we're going to keep the rules as clear and readable as possible.

Let me rip off the premise of the recent Best Vintage RPGs poll shamelessly, because I find it very fair:

Each Codex member gets to make one post allocating 10 points to a maximum of 5 games. You cannot allocate more than 5 of your points to any single game.™

You can nominate jRPGs only - games made in Japan, not games inspired by games made in Japan. It's a poll for Japanese games only. There's no limit on whether they were officially released in the West, fan TLs and untranslated games also apply.

Whether action-y like Ys, tactical like Ogre, training like Pokemon, or classic FIGHT/CAST/ITEM/RUN - any subgenre goes, as long as it's a jRPG, an RPG made in Japan.

To remove the FOTM factor, you can nominate games from the dawn of time up to Q4 2020. Yes, your 2021 releases are the best ever, but don't nominate them.

Since jRPG polls are so infrequent, this one is going to run a little longer than usual, for a wide number of posters to have a chance to vote:

Poll will be closed on March 12, Saturday, five weeks from now.
Results will be gathered and presented shortly after.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Final Fantasy IV - 3 points
Dragon Quest III - 3 points
Grandia - 2 points
Etrian Odyssey Nexus - 1 point
Ni No Kuni - 1 point

Falksi

Arcane
As a kid and before I could afford a PC I used to love JRPGs, and even as an adult I'd enjoy a nice chill on them now & again. But the past 10 years or so I've really grown to hate the fucking things, with most modern ones being utter trash.

That said, there's still some which I think are great. So I'll chuck in.
  • Shining Force 2 - 4pts
  • Phantasy Star 4 - 3pts
  • Final Fantasy X - 1pts
  • Tales of Berseria - 1pt
  • Shadow Hearts: Covenant - 1pt
I don't class Dark Souls as a JRPG or one of the first 2 games would be in there. It's an action-based game with a huge emphasis on skill and reflex. For me RPGs are defined by the reliance of thought over skill in combat, and Dark Souls leans towards the latter. So fuck that.

Last edited:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
As a kid and before I could afford a PC I used to love JRPGs, and even as an adult I'd enjoy a nice chill on them now & again. But the past 10 years or so I've really grown to hate the fucking things, with most modern ones being utter trash.

That said, there's still some which I think are great. So I'll chuck in.
  • Shining Force 2
  • Shadow Hearts: Covenant
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Tales of Berseria
I don't class Dark Souls as a JRPG or one of the first 2 games would be in there. It's an action-based game with a huge emphasis on skill and reflex. For me RPGs are defined by the reliance of thought over skill in combat, and Dark Souls leans towards the latter. So fuck that.
Please remember to assign your points, I don't want to misrepresent any vote. This also applies to any poster down the line.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
It doesn't feel right to me calling Dark Souls a jRPG, so I'll pass on voting for it.

• Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey 3pts
  • Final Fantasy Tactics 3pts
  • Dragon Quest III 2pts
  • Persona 4 1pt
  • Pokemon Platinum 1pt

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
suikoden 2 - 5 points
trails in the sky 2 - 2 points
breath of fire 3 - 1 point
smt strange journey - 1 point
elminage gothic - 1 point

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Each Codex member gets to make one post allocating 10 points to a maximum of 5 games. You cannot allocate more than 5 of your points to any single game.™

3 pts

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VII
Xenogears

1 pts

Secret of Mana

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Etrian Odyssey 5 - 2pts
Pokemon SoulSilver/HeartGold (or just SoulSilver if you want to keep it separate) - 2pts
Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse - 2pts
Persona 5 Royal - 2pts
King's Field 4 - 2pts

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
Final Fantasy Tactics - 4
Dragon Quest IV - 2
Final Fantasy VI - 2
Earthbound - 1
Chrono Trigger - 1

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Hyperion

Arcane
Dragon's Dogma - 2
Ogre Battle: MotBQ - 2
Tactics Ogre: Let Us ClingTogether - 2
The Last Remnant - 2
Shining the Holy Ark - 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom