Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cloud is Dead (Final Fantasy VII CYOA)

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
B

Jester

Arbiter
F into B.
Get a walk and try to catch up to those freaks of nature afterwards. I get main characters outruning us, but almost not being able to outrun monsters is embarrassing. Marcus have to do better If he wish to be HERO OF shinra EMPIRIUM.

Jester

Arbiter
Btw panties shot for karma option, as always being good gives you addition benefits.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
What's the point of propositioning the nurse if we do not have the staying power? Shamefur disiplay! Plus, in Asian cultures, the gym is where you go to meet and befriend people above your social standing. B

Random

Arcane
Patron
Chapter 1: The Hero Returns, Part VI

Right, you think. You're a soldier, first and foremost. Getting back into shape is your first priority. You stand up, and the rush of blood causes you to immediately sit back down onto the bed. Baby steps. You slowly lift yourself up, and you get dizzy and light-headed again, but by taking your time, even though your heart is pounding, you manage to stay on your feet. You take a few minutes shuffling around the room and find that there's a small assortment of clothes in the drawers of the room that seem to fit you, including a basic athletic outfit - light shorts, a Shinra Electric Co. shirt, tennis shoes and socks. Perfect. You don the clothes, making sure to sit in the chair in the corner and take your time due to your weakened body. Even though it takes far longer than it should, you do get properly dressed, and face the next challenge: getting all the way up to the sixty-fourth floor, where the company recreational area and gym are, when you're on the sixteenth floor. Of course you can just use the elevators, but it's still a long walk, as the normal elevators stop at floor fifty nine. That's a lot of stairs to climb. You'd be exhausted before you even get to the gym, and you'd have to go right back downstairs to get back to your room.

The solution is obvious, of course. You are no common jarhead. You're smart enough to know your own limits. Getting to the gym seems like an impossibility in your current state, so instead you'll just go to the emergency stairwell and get as high as you can. Stairs are a good workout when you can barely get around your room.

You had better hopes for yourself than only making it up two levels, though. You reach the eighteenth floor and, struggling for air, step out of the staircase and grip the railing on the wall. You're drenched in your own sweat. You almost slipped and fell down the stairs quite a few times on your way. It's a good thing that you're so smart, because anyone not as smart probably would have tried to get to the gym and passed out or slipped on the way up. On the other hand, you will admit that you feel ashamed at how badly you've deteriorated from just a few days of laying in bed.

You stagger your way to a bench and gingerly sit upon it, looking out the window at the nature courtyard that most of the floor is comprised of. It's full of numerous habitats and species of animals, delicately preserved and displayed to the public. There's a large number of endangered species in there as well, whose natural habitats are either threatened by human expansion or the ever-looming threat of the wild monsters that roam the lands, killing everything in their way. A fabulously colored bird chirps and seems to take an interest in you as you pinch your shirt and flick it back and forth to air out your sweaty torso, giving a friendly smile to the poor pedestrians passing by subjected to your body odor.

You spend about an hour just sitting there and watching the exotic birds in the enclosure in front of you fly around, dance, and sing. It's very calming, and it gives you time to just shut off your brain and watch nature, rather than being egregiously bored in a bed. Unfortunately, your respite is soon interrupted by a guard walking up to you and telling you that you've got a call and handing you a phone. You put it up to your ear, and hear that obnoxious laughing from Heidegger again. "Gyaa-haa-haa-haa! Major Westford, my boy, your initiative to improve yourself is admirable!" Has he been keeping tabs on you this whole time? "And good thing, too! There's been a change in plans! Your leave is canceled. You're going on a mission of prime importance to the safety of the entire world! We're undergoing preparations even as I speak. You have three days to get back in shape! Then you'll be briefed, and the mission will be launched. You'd better get your ass in gear, cuz you'll be commanding it!"

"Commanding the mission? To save the world?"

"Damn straight, son. You're a goddamn hero. Let's just say that all the higher ups, including myself, have recognized your potential. We think you're the best qualified for this job!"

"I'm flattered, sir."

"Well, don't be! Cuz you're getting a lot of responsibility dumped on your shoulders! I hope you can handle it! Gyaa-haa-haa-haa!"

"I will work to the best of my ability to complete the objectives given to me, sir," you say coolly back to him.

"That's what I like to hear! You'll hear the details in three days, like I said. You'd better be ready by then!"

"Of course. I'm a professional, sir," you say. "Though, having some kind of special training program would benefit my recovery greatly, sir."

"Sorry, Major, but there's no special secret training program here at Shinra. Unless you're asking to use SOLDIER's training facilities and instructors, but those aren't designed for normal humans, and we both know why you were rejected for the SOLDIER program. Frankly, you've been taught as best as we can teach. We don't keep secrets from our officers. Besides, you're a smart guy. You know how to take care of your body. I have the utmost faith in your ability to recover."

"Understood... sir."

"Indeed! That is all, Major!" he said before hanging up. You hand the phone back to the guard, who trots off, and rub your face with your hands. You just lost your goddamn vacation. Fuck. Fucking... shit! And you have three days to try and get in shape to command a whole unit somehow. How can they possibly expect you to do that? You can barely walk straight without holding on to something. You should have known this was coming. Nothing good ever happens to you. Fuck!

Still, you could rebel. If you aren't gonna get a real vacation, you can always blow off your recovery and spend it flirting and eating junk food and getting drunk off your ass rather than working out and exercising. Sure, you'll be a mess when you get to the unit, but fuck the unit, you deserve this much. Or, you could swallow your pride and boredom and sacrifice what may very well be the last few days of your civilian life for the foreseeable future just so you can be somewhat less pathetic when you're thrown to the wolves. But then, the question is how hard you should work, considering three days of intense exercise leaves no room to recover and get back to 100% before you join the unit.

What do you do?

A) Blow off your duties and have a vacation; fuck da poleez and the horse they rode in on
B) [Discipline and Athletics] Suck it up and push it to the limit; work out as hard as you possibly can all three days, and then some
C) [Academics and Athletics] Suck it up and try to be intelligent and cautious in your workout routines for maximum progress
D) [Hand-to-Hand and Athletics] Suck it up, and work out by engaging in sparring with other athletes
E) [Acrobatics and Athletics] Suck it up and work out with sprints, jogging, gymnastics, and other sports
F) [Medicine and Observation] Spend your time resting in the bed with regular walks around the building as you've been doing. You figure that working out too hard may only be detrimental to your recovery, and working out probably won't get you prepared in time anyways. You might even learn something from the docs and nurses while you wander around the infirmary.
G) Any other workout option that can be reasonably justified, or any creative way of slacking off

Character Sheet

Name: Marcus "Maverick" Westford
Class: Ranger
Profession: Major of the Shinra Co. Peacekeeping Corps, Department of Public Safety
Inner Nature: X
Dominant Inner Nature: None

Characteristics:
Strength 4 Agility 7
Tenacity 5 Intelligence 7

Skills:
Marksmanship Lvl. 2, Discipline Lvl. 2
Hand-to-Hand Lvl. 1, Athletics Lvl. 1, Fieldcraft Lvl. 1, Bluff Lvl. 1, Stealth Lvl. 1, Academics Lvl. 1, Observation Lvl. 1, Electronics Lvl. 1, Computer Use Lvl. 1

Inventory: civilian casual clothes

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Flop F

What Academics and Observation are?
Academic is general knowledge? Observation is weak points detection? What skills are related to teamwork?

Last edited:

Random

Arcane
Patron
Academics is the sum of acquired knowledge over a wide variety of topics, mainly academic in nature (mechanics, electronics, monsterology, etc. represents more specialized knowledge), and observation is ability to acquire new knowledge in any situation and doubles as awareness. Discipline is closely related to teamwork, as it's the skill you use for commanding and so on. There may be other teamwork-y skills acquired over time, though.

oscar

Arcane
Is the [skill x and y] part what we'll be testing to see if the action is successful or what will be improved if we take up that decision?

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh hell yeah, Discipline it is. B, three days is not enough time to go from having every major muscle in your body ripped to being in top shape, so I think we need to compensate in either smarts (Academics) or willpower and teamwork (Discipline). I prefer the latter, a physically average guy like us would be well served by having the cold hard stones to pull through.

Kipeci

Arcane
How do the numbers for characteristics scale compared to the numbers for skills? Is a two in discipline better than seven for academics?

For now, I'll go with B.

Random

Arcane
Patron
How do the numbers for characteristics scale compared to the numbers for skills? Is a two in discipline better than seven for academics?

For now, I'll go with B.

I use d20s for skill or characteristic checks. To perform a check, you take the base characteristic, add or subtract any modifiers based on the situation, then add the bonus from the relevant skill to it. If you roll at or under the resultant total, it's a pass. I've revised the skill system a bit since I came back. Skills now go up to level five, they're a sort of modifier for the base characteristic most closely associated with it. Academics level one means you get a +2 to rolls that utilize that skill, level two means you get a +4 to your roll, level three means you get +6, level four is +8, and level five is +10 plus a free reroll and you take the better result. Level one in a skill is a basic understanding of the ideas behind it and minimal experience in it, level two is basic competency, level three is solid proficiency, level four is genuine expert in the field, and level five is a one-in-a-million master at such a thing. There are, of course, degrees of success and failure in all checks, and a natural 1 is always a pass (but may still have low degrees of success if your target number was low) and a natural 20 is always a failure (but may still have low degrees of failure if your target number was super high).

Naturally this revamping means that Westford is less competent than he was before, but has more room to grow. Even so, he's still miles ahead of a common grunt.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
(G)

You spent your time sneaking and finding good hiding places to get good look underneath skirts and glorious cleavage. You memorized to details to your mind, because you know that you don't have time in mission to enjoy finer points of life.

[perverted] (stealth) and ( observation)

Is this ok Random?

Last edited:
B > C

Since there will be skill rolls to see if we manage to do us any good, I'd prefer we roll discipline, as other skills are still at 1. We should at least try to get into some semblance of shape before we get thrown in command of a new unit.

edit: whoops, wrong vote

Last edited:

Random

Arcane
Patron
(G)

You spent your time sneaking and finding good hiding places to get good look underneath skirts and glorious cleavage. You memorized to details to your mind, because you know that you don't have time in mission to enjoy finer points of life.

[perverted] (stealth) and ( observation)

Is this good enough Random?

Sure, why not?

Elfberserker

Liturgist
We will be probably send after sephiroth, the BBEG in final fantasy 7...Or maybe take over Fort Condor.

Kipeci

Arcane
Anybody else thinks that the Ga Ha Ha Ha General is sending us on a mission to get killed?
We must be. I can't think of any other reason why we'd be ushered away from the public so quickly to get into the range of some sort of credible threat while we're so weak that we can't traverse staircases without needing to rest for an hour.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom