Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Co-Op boardgames

Exhuminator

Arcane
me and my Gloomhaven buddies are getting closer to finishing the campaign and are already thinking about the 'what next'.
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, as I'm not going to read all the pages in this thread, but it's worth considering:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/159504/folklore-affliction

There are expansions and extras for that game, which enhance stuff.

Also this recently released:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/264196/dungeons-dragons-waterdeep-dungeon-mad-mage

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh, it has been released already? We preordered, but it's going to be delivered not before autumn (german version, tho).

The other two crawlers look interesting indeed... but judging by the BGG pictures, I hate how all those swords on the D&D minis suffer from erectile dysfunction. I'd rather play with cardboard cutouts than with low-quality miniatures.

Exhuminator

Arcane
Yes Forgotten Circles has been released, I got my copy two weeks ago. Although I pre-ordered it from Crowd Ox, and live in the USA. So maybe the non-English versions are shipping slower?

The 2nd edition of Folklore uses cardboard cut-outs actually, which is the version you'd get if you bought it nowadays.

I am very much into co-op boardgames, I can post other suggestions later when I have more time.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Oh, it has been released already? We preordered, but it's going to be delivered not before autumn (german version, tho).

The other two crawlers look interesting indeed... but judging by the BGG pictures, I hate how all those swords on the D&D minis suffer from erectile dysfunction. I'd rather play with cardboard cutouts than with low-quality miniatures.

Has your group looked into the Bloodborne kickstarter? The minis are amazing and the game sounds pretty good.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
So, me and my Gloomhaven buddies are getting closer to finishing the campaign and are already thinking about the 'what next'. "Regular" dungeon crawlers will probably feel like a downgrade in every way. Kingdom Death Monster sounds really intriguing but its pricing model is obscene.
I recently stumbled across Rangers of Shadow Deep, which seems to be a Tabletop/PnP/Dungeon Crawler hybrid. It's basically just a rulebook and you have to play it with your own collection of miniatures and terrain. Seems to be quite well-received within its niche.
Anyone got experience with that thing? Similar games worth looking at?

This dude seems to love Rangers of Shadow Deep (and I like him as a reviewer). Remembered your comment when I stumbled upon it: https://youtu.be/AsOPZfhOHa8?t=3710

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just want to confirm the already mentioned Robinson Crusoe, Spirit Island, Shadows Over Camelot, Battlestar Galactica, Dead of Winter, Arkham/Eldritch Horror, Sherlock Holmes series, Pandemic series, Zombicide series, Warhammer Quests: Silver Tower / The Adventure Card Game, The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth, Dark Souls (everyone but me liked it). Didn't like any of the DnD series, too grindy for me. My group also recommends Mice and Mystics, but haven't yet tried it myself. This ones i didn't see talked about here:

Sub Terra - like the movies The Cave and The Descent (but without the betrayal subplot, either you all make it out, or none does)

Unlock / Exit - escape the room, point-and-click type (combine item cards) series of adventure games... former better than latter

Time Stories
- just like Time Cop with JCVD, but instead of going back as yourself, you posses susceptible people, each with their own stats and special abilities (most videogame-like boardgame)... gameplay is like Groundhog Day, where you repeat events (but something always changes) until you fix things right or completely fuckup

Marvel Legendary - deck building, destroy villains before they escape the queue (new card pushes them further every turn), some are more dangerous or/and tough, so you need to prioritize... thematically very well done, great fun trying out all the unique heroes

Aeon's End - deck building without shuffling (cards stay in order you discard them), pretty challenging though (especially if nemesis gets to play consecutive turns)... get the legacy version first, it has a story campaign and is like a tutorial, also can be later combined with the base game and expansions as well

The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game - was the only one who read the books in my group, and it's hard as nails (didn't even manage to solve the first scenario) so the others gave up on it... like marvel legends, but the villains queue does not move once set, instead you have to beat them in a strictly specific order like a puzzle, so heroes have to combine their powers optimally each and every turn

Betrayal (at House on the Hill) Legacy - general rule, if you like a game, the legacy version always makes it even better... for some you don't really need to destroy things (just put them away, and use a non permanent marker), for others there is a separate reset kit (only if you want to play again from start), but most can be continued to play normally once fully completed

Gloomhaven - best dungeon crawler, but way too many side scenarios (and some are grindy) which you don't even have to do since monsters always scale to your level, and once you try out all the heroes it gets repetitive afterwards... but until then you really get your moneys worth, don't worry

Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles - got the expansion before we even finished the base game, but wouldn't otherwise, really fatigued right now... wish it was more streamlined (like gothic) and not so sandboxy (elder scrolls) experience

Detective: A Modern Crime
- about to start it any week now...

7th Continent

Last edited:

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I hated Time Stories with a burning passion. Awful game design, shallow story and incredibly boring, repetitive gameplay.

Detective a Modern Crime Board Game is a mixed bag. I liked it for the most part, with two major caveats:

1) The questions at the end of each scenario often spoil their answers and make revelations that you might have missed - at times, their answers are very similar and it feels like answering is a guessing game.

2) The ending. The final mystery is something so out of left field that it's nigh impossible to be deduced with the information given. That soured the whole experience for me a bit.

It is a fun experience though, and you can power through it in 3 game sessions if that's what's keeping you from it.

Snorkack Star Wars Rebellion is the shit! We absolutely loved it, and it got my girlfriend making noises I'd never heard before (sadface). I've never seen her so invested in a game. It is super long and stressful, though, so not something I'm keen to play that often.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Just want to confirm the already mentioned Robinson Crusoe, Spirit Island, Shadows Over Camelot, Battlestar Galactica, Dead of Winter, Arkham/Eldritch Horror, Sherlock Holmes series, Pandemic series, Zombicide series, Warhammer Quests: Silver Tower / The Adventure Card Game, The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth, Dark Souls (everyone but me liked it). Didn't like any of the DnD series, too grindy for me. My group also recommends Mice and Mystics, but haven't yet tried it myself. This ones i didn't see talked about here:

Sub Terra - like the movies The Cave and The Descent (but without the betrayal subplot, either you all make it out, or none does)

Unlock / Exit - escape the room, point-and-click type (combine item cards) series of adventure games... former better than latter

Time Stories
- just like Time Cop with JCVD, but instead of going back as yourself, you posses susceptible people, each with their own stats and special abilities (most videogame-like boardgame)... gameplay is like Groundhog Day, where you repeat events (but something always changes) until you fix things right or completely fuckup

Marvel Legendary - deck building, destroy villains before they escape the queue (new card pushes them further every turn), some are more dangerous or/and tough, so you need to prioritize... thematically very well done, great fun trying out all the unique heroes

Aeon's End - deck building without shuffling (cards stay in order you discard them), pretty challenging though (especially if nemesis gets to play consecutive turns)... get the legacy version first, it has a story campaign and is like a tutorial, also can be later combined with the base game and expansions as well

The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game - was the only one who read the books in my group, and it's hard as nails (didn't even manage to solve the first scenario) so the others gave up on it... like marvel legends, but the villains queue does not move once set, instead you have to beat them in a strictly specific order like a puzzle, so heroes have to combine their powers optimally each and every turn

Betrayal (at House on the Hill) Legacy - general rule, if you like a game, the legacy version always makes it even better... for some you don't really need to destroy things (just put them away, and use a non permanent marker), for others there is a separate reset kit (only if you want to play again from start), but most can be continued to play normally once fully completed

Gloomhaven - best dungeon crawler, but way too many side scenarios (and some are grindy) which you don't even have to do since monsters always scale to your level, and once you try out all the heroes it gets repetitive afterwards... but until then you really get your moneys worth, don't worry

Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles - got the expansion before we even finished the base game, but wouldn't otherwise, really fatigued right now... wish it was more streamlined (like gothic) and not so sandboxy (elder scrolls) experience

Detective: A Modern Crime

7th Continent
So bouncing on this ;
- 7th Continent is awesome. Can be played at only 2 with a lot of fun, as I understand the more you are after that the less good it is.
They are kickstarting the 7th citadel, which looks like more fantasy and more character driven.

I really did not like Betrayal at House on the Hill ; I believe how fun it is depends on the scenario, and some scenario are just week.

Hated Time's Story with a passion. It feels like a die and retry, except the die-and-retry takes age to do. The Unlock and similar are fun enough, some better than other.

Mice & Mystics is really fun due to the settings, the gameplay itself is pretty standard.

Kitchen Utensil

Three years later: The only good solo game I ever played is Space Hulk: Death Angel and the Print on Demand expansions. There are some others which are okay, but they're not worth the set-up/tear-down.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sub Terra expansions are all good (played them over tabletopia during lockdowns) - game is still fun and quick to setup, play, and tear down (they say sequel is a bit like Clunk! but still good)

really liked earlier Time Stories - it got repetitive only if you didn't play well/smart (ignored/missed clues), and in the later entries "grinding" trial and error style of play indeed became the norm... heard they were supposed to reboot it

Betrayal (at House on the Hill) Legacy - "campaign" scenarios were all fun, but really skewed against the betrayer (shouldn't have been randomly determined, but depending on distance from objectives and/or other players, found items, etc.)

didn't yet get the try Detective - but it already got rebooted

likewise for the 7th Continent...

all Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective games are great

but King's Dilemma is my current favorite - can't recommend it enough

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom