Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline CoD Advanced Warfare ft. Kevin Spacey

Lemming42

Arcane
I remember the big selling point (or maybe just what PCGamer thought should be the big selling point) of CoD1 was that you usually had a squad who fought with you. I thought having vaguely intelligent teammates was p cool when I first played it, even if they did mostly just die and get mysteriously replaced by identical people with different names. Definitely better than your allies in MOH:AA who just got shot or walked 3 steps and then instructed you to "GO ON ALONE" because they were "ONLY SLOWING YOU DOWN".

It has the occasional flash of greatness - like the Stalingrad mission where you have to run with that dude across the hill until he shoots the Commissar, and the truck chase with the idiot who wastes all the Panzerfausts after sabotaging the dam - but most of it was shooting really retarded enemies who just walked around corners and played an hour long aiming animation and usually missed you anyway. Same for CoD2 but the missions felt less creative than the best of CoD1.

Speaking of MOH:AA, I played that recently too and while it overall wasn't as good as I remembered, it held up a lot better than CoD1/2 despite generally being a much sloppier and technologically poor game. Omaha Beach and the mission where you wear the officer's uniform to sneak on board a U-Boat are both just as good as I remembered.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I remember the big selling point (or maybe just what PCGamer thought should be the big selling point) of CoD1 was that you usually had a squad who fought with you. I thought having vaguely intelligent teammates was p cool when I first played it, even if they did mostly just die and get mysteriously replaced by identical people with different names. Definitely better than your allies in MOH:AA who just got shot or walked 3 steps and then instructed you to "GO ON ALONE" because they were "ONLY SLOWING YOU DOWN".

It has the occasional flash of greatness - like the Stalingrad mission where you have to run with that dude across the hill until he shoots the Commissar, and the truck chase with the idiot who wastes all the Panzerfausts after sabotaging the dam - but most of it was shooting really retarded enemies who just walked around corners and played an hour long aiming animation and usually missed you anyway. Same for CoD2 but the missions felt less creative than the best of CoD1.

Yes, the big tagline for it was "No one fights alone"(which makes the British campaign... odd).

IIRC, it was also one of the pioneers for iron sights in FPS.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Speaking of MOH:AA, I played that recently too and while it overall wasn't as good as I remembered, it held up a lot better than CoD1/2 despite generally being a much sloppier and technologically poor game. Omaha Beach and the mission where you wear the officer's uniform to sneak on board a U-Boat are both just as good as I remembered.

To me, CoD1's "flashes of greatness" were the mass infantry battles where you felt like a tiny worm in a meat grinder, literally crawling through corpse-strewn battlefields, afraid for every little sliver of non-regenerating health. The set-piece scenarios you describe were just the cherry on top.

The British campaign that Carrion mentions as being least popular didn't have as much of this, other than the Pegasus Bridge missions which were pretty badass.

Last edited:

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
It's a player's fault that a game breaks or ceases to function properly when you decide to stop following the yellow brick road? Ever heard of "failsafes"? Player freedom? Basic video game design? What the fuck, please punch yourself in the face.

Truth is, by entering a game, you're agreeing to get yourself entertained, despite you know it's all fake. Just like you don't enter a magic show shouting "it's all fake!" while poking around the backstage trying to expose it as a hoax.

It is your fault to act like a moron. Because you're a moron in acting like one.

If developers have to waste resources to implement "fail-safe" to accommodate morons, this is what happens:

they took away your freedom completely in those scripted sequences of the more recent COD-like games, so you can't act like a fucking moron anymore (compare the limited freedom in COD4's Pripyat level with the "instant-fail if you don't follow NPC orders" of those "stealth" levels in Battlefield 3 and MOH: Warfighter).

Happy now?

TL;DR Morons caused the decline. Go punch yourself if you want to act like a moron.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Truth is, by entering a game, you're agreeing to get yourself entertained, despite you know it's all fake. Just like you don't enter a magic show shouting "it's all fake!" while poking around the backstage trying to expose it as a hoax.

It is your fault to act like a moron. Because you're a moron in acting like one.

If developers have to waste resources to implement "fail-safe" to accommodate morons, this is what happens:

they took away your freedom completely in those scripted sequences of the more recent COD games, so you can't act like a fucking moron anymore.

Happy now?
I stopped going to magic shows when I was 8.

So I guess that's the target age for CoD?

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I stopped going to magic shows when I was 8.

So I guess that's the target age for CoD?

Edgy.

Did you also stop going to movies? Or reading books? Ever thought they're all fake and hoax?

BTW, yes CoD appeals to your inner 8-year-old man child. So does comic books, Micheal Bay films, action figures, computer games.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Edgy.

Did you also stop going to movies? Or reading books? Ever thought they're all fake and hoax?
You still haven't told anyone why more people playing video games is a good thing.

Did u fail your reading comprehension class?

I already told you. If games as a whole appeal to a broader audience, I can get more friends into playing games. They may start with those retarded simple game, but they can later venture into more complex games.

Why is it not a good thing when one plays Fallout 3 and then discovers Fallout 1 and finds its greatness?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I already told you. If games as a whole appeal to a broader audience, I can get more friends into playing games. They may start with those retarded simple game, but they can later venture into more complex games.

Why is it not a good thing when one plays Fallout 3 and then discovers Fallout 1 and finds its greatness?
Well now we have a "possible" benefit. After playing a bad game, they might decide to play a good game. Maybe.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
6 pages for this? COD has turned into derivative shit way back. This won't be any different nor will any other new game in the series. Just forget about it and look elsewhere. This puppy died a long time ago.

tuluse

Arcane
6 pages for this? COD has turned into derivative shit way back. This won't be any different nor will any other new game in the series. Just forget about it and look elsewhere. This puppy died a long time ago.
chestburster uses trolling on the codex

it's super effective!

Lemming42

Arcane

This point gets brought up a lot in various different discussions. I'm not disagreeing with it, but I'd be interested to know how many people actually played Fo1/2 because of Fo3. I bet it's a really small amount, about the same amount of people who went back and gave Arena/Daggerfall/Morrowind a shot after playing Oblivion/Skyrim.

The greatest trick Spacey ever pulled, was convincing the world, he had talent.
frank-underwood-gif.gif

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't think anyone is saying even CoD1-4 were good games. People are saying at the time they felt fresh and different, that kind of bro-fantasy cinematic shit was something I never played before and didn't mind seeing a few times. Once it took over the industry everyone of course realized how flat-out bad that style of shooter was, and how annoying it was that it took over the world.

tuluse

Arcane
I don't think anyone is saying even CoD1-4 were good games. People are saying at the time they felt fresh and different, that kind of bro-fantasy cinematic shit was something I never played before and didn't mind seeing a few times. Once it took over the industry everyone of course realized how flat-out bad that style of shooter was, and how annoying it was that it took over the world.
chesburster is saying all CoD are good for what they are.

Personally, I enjoyed both 2 and 4. After that it was more of the same, with somehow less variety and more derpyness.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Edgy.

That literally has nothing to do with the argument. You're saying that a badly designed game is not to be blamed, but players. Which is moronic and why you should go punch yourself in the face. That shooters have gotten even more retarded is also no defence. Basically, you're saying that Cleve should let the machete-rape train in his bunker, as otherwise they will nuke him. "Accept and embrace shitty design, or we'll get even shittier design!"

A user named cat

Apparently you did considering Seboist didn't even post what you quoted above. Genius.

So wait, players are now morons for attempting to deviate from railroading? It's our fault for trying to play the game and not have the game play us? What kind of dipshit white knights this horrible popamole logic and then blames freedom-seeking players that it exists in the first place?

I can't believe this guy doesn't have a dumbfuck tag.

DemonKing

Arcane
Given that the campaigns in COD usually don't last much longer than six hours or so, I'm surprised there isn't more comment on the multiplayer side of things, which is where most people will sink the majority of their time.

There was actually a reasonable amount of innovation over time there up until MW added the Perk system. After that, they haven't done too much to shake it up other than adding Zombies and whatever the bonus mode in Ghosts was called.

NOOOOOOOOooooooooo!!! Kevin Spacey what happened to you!!!!

You used to be so good in Seven - hell, even your tv run in that undercover mafia show set the stage for Tony Soprano and Walter White. And you'll be forever remembered for The Usual Suspects. I can even forgive the way you've deteriorated in your late career, even though a character actor like you should really be getting better and better with age, just like your fellow former movie stars who have turned to television in their older years with far better results than you.

But THIS???

If you were ever going to appear in a CoD game, it should have been my fantasy about you reprising your role from Seven and leaving the corpses of game publisher execs strewn around the globe with messages about their personal sins.

Now I'll just have to trasnfer that fantasy to whoever plays Will Graham on Hannibal:
"Did it make him feel good to kill the FPS genre with CoD?"
"It made him feel powerful."

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Yo, more like he's great in House of CoDs.

:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom