Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Code of the Savage - Ultima 6/7-inspired RPG

AdolfSatan

Arcane
That's mostly why I haven't backed yet, I feel the dev is promising a lot without giving any info with regards to how does he plan to achieve his goal.
I really want to make a pledge, but I got burned with kickstarters one too many times already.
:negative:

Geoff Jones

Arcane
Developer
That's mostly why I haven't backed yet, I feel the dev is promising a lot without giving any info with regards to how does he plan to achieve his goal.
I really want to make a pledge, but I got burned with kickstarters one too many times already.

Congratz! The campaign isn't particularly active though, I certainly would've liked a couple of more meaty updates.
One of my biggest flaws is that I am terrible at selling myself.

What type of updates would people like to see?

It's my first Kickstarter, so I am sure I'm not doing everything right. I can understand that it's a risk backing someone you don't know. I have a clear goal in my head, but communicating that to people who don't know me seems difficult. In the end, it is just some guy telling you he promises to deliver what he said he will. I'd like to be able to communicate this better :)

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Someone else mentioned it here I think: a "vertical slice" would be nice. Show off a quest, ways to solve it, writing, branching (?), the whole thing. If development has progressed far enough that you think you can present something like that, I think it's the way to go.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity

- Quests and their implementation : the design philosophy behind them and how you're planning on making them interesting ;
- same for the combat ;
- same for the world building ;
- how those elements draw from each other to make a cohesive and interesting whole.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

It's my first Kickstarter, so I am sure I'm not doing everything right. I can understand that it's a risk backing someone you don't know. I have a clear goal in my head, but communicating that to people who don't know me seems difficult. In the end, it is just some guy telling you he promises to deliver what he said he will. I'd like to be able to communicate this better :)
- Don't show any gameplay. You're selling dreams, not a game.
- Namedrop the absolute best titles, say you're making a spiritual successor to them, but better!
- Promise everything you can think of, go crazy. Super reactivity. Other AI characters trying to complete the main goal, becoming your rivals. Your own stronghold. Dialogues based on intelligence. Everything goes. What matters is getting the dough now, worry about delivering later.
- Write lots of inane updates, like "A day with the lead developer. At 8 am I drink a coffee with a croissant and take a shit". People love it.
- Show your tools. Makes people feel like they're rocket scientists. Take pictures of something written on a piece of paper. Take pictures of how you code. Lines of code - Wowza!

After you've done that, I'll have more tips for you.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Congratz! The campaign isn't particularly active though, I certainly would've liked a couple of more meaty updates.

I am also pretty bad at selling my game. It usually works better if I let a fan or friend do it for me. You should probably ask your most dedicated tester how they think you should communicate about your game.

What would be of personal intesrest to me is: what elements of the Gold Box series did you take in your game?
Will there be companions, or will the game be entirely with the MC alone?

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane

It's my first Kickstarter, so I am sure I'm not doing everything right. I can understand that it's a risk backing someone you don't know. I have a clear goal in my head, but communicating that to people who don't know me seems difficult. In the end, it is just some guy telling you he promises to deliver what he said he will. I'd like to be able to communicate this better
Exactly what I said before. Show some professionalism from the dev's side to gain my trust; as in:

-Are the foundations already set or are we giving you money to fuck around while deciding what goes and what doesn't?
-If so, then give us more information from a writer's perspective (what the other posters before me asked about pretty much).
-What's your experience as a programmer? Do you already know all you need, or are you learning on the go? "I used to code as a kid" isn't telling me anything.
-How are you breaking down the workload?

Geoff Jones

Arcane
Developer
Updates shall be coming. As far as my experience goes, I know everything I need to know to get the game finished. I just need time to implement it.
I'll post a clear roadmap soon.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No need to crosspost.

Dialogue system overview. (and example)

Hi everyone!

1 week left for the campaign! I had some requests for a demonstration of the dialogue system and an example of one of the interactions you will have while playing the game. It also serves as a demonstration of the new character sprites in action.

This is an interaction between one of the brothel prostitutes and a priest of the Order of Leysar (Daneths prominent religion).

Enjoy!

Recently I've been working on lots of bug fixes I've also been creating new sprites for the monsters, including the Orge. Here is a preview:

4651ede2e91c9ee85ccd60126c97b74e_original.jpg

I will try to get a new video out soon, which goes into more detail about the combat system.

Thank all again for your support!

~Geoff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Success: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2271727

We did it!!!

Words can't express how I'm feeling right now. My gf and I were sitting here watching the page count down to zero seconds :)

This past month has been a ride and a half. Thank you all so much for pledging, sharing the page and most of all for believing in me. I know it isn't easy to put your trust in someone you may have never met, and it means a lot to me.

There's a lot of work in front of me, but I owe you all big time, and I will work hard by doing everything I can to deliver the game as promised, and to deliver a game that you will love.

If anyone has any concerns, suggestions or questions during the development, please get in touch. I will keep you all updated on the development process here.

THANK YOU

No stretch goals, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Backers-only demo: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2308822

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2302109

Demo for alpha backers coming soon.

Hi everyone!

Development of the game is continuing smoothly and I will have an Alpha demo ready for backers of the General tier and above, very soon. The demo will allow you to explore the village of Clover and interact with its inhabitants. This demo will be updated throughout the development process.

Recently, I have been creating more artwork for the game, including NPC portraits (as well as updating some of the first portraits I did that were not quite up to scratch).

I've added new sound effects and improved the walking sound effect. The player step sound now differs depending on the type of surface they are walking on.

I have also been busy with general fixes and feature implementations in preparation for the demo launch. :)

0be69e05edb3739e7abc4f02e3e36762_original.PNG

Alpha demo coming soon

d973c6cdd12d933107edb9844c6362bd_original.png

New NPC portraits

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2343771

Alpha demo version 0.276

Hello everyone!

a44986f9a1a460787b525d846740b92b_original.png

I am going to do an update roughly once per month (more or less).

This update is all about the sidebar. I have now added sidebar tabs! You now see equipment, stats, skills/spells, and a journal log tab. (the skills tab is still under construction).

The log tab will update automatically when new information is given to the player. When a journal entry is completed, it will turn green. You will also see a filter button that will switch between displaying completed, incomplete or both. Give it a try! speaking to some NPCs or triggering specific events will add a new journal entry.

The stats tab is just an area that will display more detailed stats such as hunger level and current effects the player is under (poisoned, cursed, bleeding, blessed, etc etc...) The effect icons are just placeholdersand are non-functional at the moment.

Some other changes/fixes:
  • Arrows now splash if fired into the water
  • Fixed an issue with the step sound
  • A map and sextant have been placed at the start position. Move them to your inventory and then press M to bring up the map. This will show your location on the world map to give to an idea of the scale.
  • The annoying wolf has been removed...
  • Fixed issue with a crash on player death
  • Many other smaller bug fixes...
Going forward, I will be uploading the new Alpha Demos to the same Dropbox folder each time a new version is available. The link to this folder will be emailed to eligible backers. Please read the README.TXT included in the zip file :)

Thanks again for everyone's support!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2368549

Magic system and Alpha demo version 0.284

Greetings backers!

It's been a productive month... As well as a bunch of fixes and refinements, this update is all about the magic system. It still needs work, but the basics are down. A few of the spells like curse, and fear, don't do anything yet, but you'll get the general idea of how it works.

Eligible backers can check the demo dropbox folder for an updated build. (if you have forgotten the link, send me a PM)

Thanks, everyone! and have a great Xmass break.

~Geoff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2395443

Alpha Demo version 0.296
Posted by Geoff Jones (Creator)

There isn't a lot visually to show, as most of the work I've been doing has been under the hood. I was struggling with some niggling issues in the magic system for a while, which was driving me insane... That's all fixed now, though.

I have added classes to the magic window. The classes can be selected via the 3 new buttons at the top of the window. Not all spells have been added to the game yet. (that is low on my priority list at the moment). I plan on adding a 4th class that deals in curses and pestilence.

The stats window has been updated to include elemental resistances, and the hunger system is more or less in place. (currently the hunger drains much faster than it will in the final game, due to testing purposes). I've placed food on the ground in the starting position. When the hunger meter goes passed the halfway mark, the players stats will begin to progressively lower. There is no health loss or death caused by hunger, only temporary stat loss.

Hovering over elements in the stats window will show a hover over window explaining what that element does.

World building - I have written scripts that automate how walls and fences are placed. Previously it was quite tedious to place a building or fence, as I needed to manually place the upper and lower portion of the wall, add two different types of directional blockers, add boundaries to prevent picking up items through walls, add the correct top wall edge, and then hope that I didn't make any mistakes...Now all I need to do, is place the top part of the wall, and the code does the rest automatically. This will make world building MUCH easier in future.

aa4b37f28137bea90cebd8b6619e1193_original.png

• added classes to the magic system
  • fixed magic window scrolling
  • new fire sprite and animation
  • torches can now be toggled on or off
  • hunger system in place
  • fixed issue with tree top shadows
  • hover over for stat page elements
  • spell classes added
  • effect icons in stat window now working
  • added target-self for spells
  • wall/fence placement automation
  • fixed magic window scrolling
b6e8538eb58eda1529cdc19191b52c17_original.png

Alpha version 0.296 has now been moved to the Dropbox folder for eligible backers. As usual, let me know via PM if you need the link again.

Just a couple of things to note:
  • I would like to get your specific thoughts about the grid based movement. Does it feel natural to you? Would you prefer to see free movement similar to Ultima 7? Currently it is modeled more on Ultima 6.
  • I have been getting the odd generic crash when I exit the game. Please let me know if you also experience this.
I hope everyone is having a good start to the year! I will be away for 2 weeks starting Feb 6th, so the next update may be delayed a bit.

~Geoff

Cael

Arcane
Ultima 6 is better in terms of it having turn-based combat. If you allow for full party control, that would emulate a lot of the old Ultima feel.

However, Ultima 7 is rightly considered the best of the lot despite the lack of party control and real time everything. This is because of the characters, the story, the enviroment interactivity and the open world feel of the game. It is visually rich, and the NPCs have their own agendas, routines and personalities. Who hadn't wanted to punch Wilfred in the face when they met him in Serpent Isle? Or Batlin?

What made Ultima great, though, is that it had a coherent moral story to tell that overarcs the game. Sure, you run into a lot of side quests and stories (Natassia, anyone?) and all that, but in the end the fight in U7 is about deception, corruption and how something professing to be Good actually is Evil. Which is hilariously prophetic and topical today with the leftwing media and sjw "compassionate" agenda.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2468346

Alpha Demo 0.307 and 16x16 grid movement.

Greetings backers!

I had a few weeks off, but I'm back in the thick of it now.

I have converted the 32x32 grid movement to a 16x16 grid. I felt the 32x32 grid size was too restrictive, and it also created other development issues. A huge portion of the game was built around the 32x32 grid size, so as you can imagine the conversion has been a lot of work. It involved reworking a lot of the game elements, including how the walls and doors function, but in other ways, it has made things much easier and more flexible. All in all, I'm very happy with how the new 16x16 grid works. As you will see in the demo, there are still bugs related to the change, such as NPC movement (they tend to wander off in random directions and not follow schedules)- that will be fixed in a future update.

Wall shadows now have a little more depth, and I no longer need to place them manually. It's all done automatically.

23a96e471612b27035c13cd0fbf0ec10_original.png

Wall shadow improvements

I have written much of the backstory of Daneths dynastic rule. Outlining some of its' tumultuous and brutal past, which shows what can happen when religious zealots take control of the crown.

fe5fae879b6fdfec0d5437ed90af4d3a_original.PNG

Snippet of the dynastic history of Daneth

Portraits
I've painted a few new NPC portraits. So far I've finished about, 40 and expect to have well over 100 by the time the game is finished. I really enjoy creating these :)

930ffa72b446c16cd5bac5aa0a0cc6c7_original.png

New NPC portraits

Books
In the next update, I will be adding readable books to the game, among other things. Books will play a vital role, as they will be scattered throughout the land and contain various useful, interesting or useless bits of information and lore.

If anyone happens to have any scribblings or writtings they would like me to include in one of these books, please let me know, and I'll consider adding it to the game. It could be anything at all, from poetry, a short story, a recipe, diary etc etc. It just needs to be compatible with a medieval/middle-ages time period. You will be credited in the in-game rolling credits.

As usual, I have added a new version of the demo to the demo dropbox folder. Please PM me if you have forgotten the link. This release is quite buggy. I'm aware of the NPC movement issues, and the layer depth issues when two NPCs walk close to each other. The player also appears naked unless moving of certain areas.

Thank you :)

~Geoff

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Update #16

May 9 2019

Alpha Demo 0.317 - Books

Greetings everyone,

As promised, Books have now been implemented. To read them, you can use the "Use" command on them. You can also pick them up and put them in your backpack etc. They can be found all over the world and function very much like they do in Ultima 7.

0a4ad2ce4d17889ec8c605e817d09b7b_original.png

I've revamped the bed objects to be a more appropriate size for the new NPC sprites. They are non-functional at the moment, but that will come in a future update.

9c225867dcd3262115ea8e526148386d_original.png

New bed on the right, old bed on the left. NPC's were getting a little cramped.
400c2885ad2aef7676873dad1952a54c_original.png

I've also created some rocky outcrops and waterfalls. This is the desert biom version of the outcrops:

3b95f5f2bcde40fefa1a969154b498fc_original.png

Rocky outcrops
cab4fee351576a895d9cf3fc29e20637_original.gif

9c441797750e36451ba177d758f2cd12_original.png

I've been doing a butt load of refinements, and managed to increase the frame rate by about %40... yeah there were a lot of things that were not working as efficiently as they should have been...

One thing in particular that I am not happy with right now is the combat system... It needs a lot of work, and I really need to rethink it. If you have any suggestions on what you would like to see, or examples of combat systems you like (no, not JRPG combat), then please post it in the comments below.

I've updated the alpha demo Dropbox folder with version 0.317.

There will be a slight disruption to the development as I am moving from Canberra to Sydney next week, but will be back on track again as soon as possible!

Cheers,

~Geoff

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom