Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Code of the Savage - Ultima 6/7-inspired RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2524889

Moved house

This is a kind of non-update update to tell you why there wont be an update this update. I moved house from Canberra to Sydney a few weeks ago and things have been a bit hectic. Virtually no progress has been made since the previous update due to the move, but I am back into it now; so expect another update in a month or so.

Cheers

Geoff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2555125

Update 18 and Alpha Demo 0.329

Greetings everyone

I've fixed some huge issues I was having with NPC movement that cropped up after switching to the new 16x16 movement grid. It was quite a lot of work, but its all working perfectly now. Previously, NPCs weren't moving to their destinations and would often walk around in circles or stand there having a spasm...

NPC diagonal movement is now working perfectly too (that was a lot more work than it sounds). One of the problems I'm having is working with my old code.. I've improved a lot since I first started this project and when I need to go back and modify something I did way back when, I just have to roll my eyes and ask what I was thinking.

NPC schedule now work again. NPCs will go to bed, and wake up at correct times during their daily schedule.

Instance draw depth is also fixed. The player will no longer lose his pants when he steps in front of certain items.. There are still a few niggling minor depth issues, but those will be fixed in a future update.

16d8ef7ca147d297a3a76266d14f1f9e_original.gif

Bed time
  • NPC schedules fixed
  • Implemented new instance depth system
  • Foliage animations and placement updated
  • Fixed player armour disappearing when moving over certain areas
  • Updated enemy chase AI
  • NPC schedules fixed
  • NPCs appear at the correct location at the time of day the player starts or loads a game
  • Fixed memory leak causing the game to slow dramatically after a few minutes
  • Diagonal movement for NPCs fixed
  • NPCs now use the bed at the correct time of their schedule
  • Randomly moving NPCs now blocked correctly by obstacles
In the next update, I'll be tackling the combat system- which has a lot of problems. A lot of these issues were fixed in preparation for that, and that is what I will be focusing on in the next update (among other things), so stay tuned.

As usual, the dropbox folder has been updated with the new Demo version.

Geoff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2555172

Update 19 and Alpha Demo 0.339

Hello everyone!

First of all, I'd like to make you all aware that I've created a Discord server for Code of The Savage. This will hopefully make it a lot easier to communicate ideas. Head on over to https://discord.gg/Mex5jnW

9c441797750e36451ba177d758f2cd12_original.png

I've added a day and night indicator to the sidebar that will display different things depending on if the player is on the surface, or underground.

63e0a79228c25136cbad0d0898000d5f_original.gif

Day/night cycle - surface
6c23cf696a4f3ab2ba891975af4995b5_original.PNG

Underground

Hover over colors for NPCs have been added. The colour will be blue when the action is neutral, and red when the action is hostile. The range circle is just for debug purposes, and wont show in the final game.

3d8ab6d23bea1a32b728a746fc280aa7_original.gif

List of fixes:
  • Fixed fence gates having a gap that you could walk through
  • Fences now auto placed
  • Trees revamped
  • Furniture now complies with new depth system
  • Fixed flat decoration items showing half under tabletops
  • Fixed combat knock-back effect exploit allowing NPCs to the knocked through a wall
  • Fixed enemies facing random directions when chasing the player
  • Fixed player moving when canceling action
  • Night time backdrop now much more efficient
  • Fixed credits not scrolling more than once
  • Fixed arrow depth issue
  • Player attack depth issue fixed
  • Fixed ranged weapon not blocked by blocker tiles
  • Updated the target range system to be more accurate and efficient
  • Fixed actions from being able to be triggered when the player is out of range
  • Look action now triggers on the highest depth item
  • Equipment shown on player revamped to be more efficient
  • Fixed sword showing briefly on player avatar even when no sword is equipped
  • Fixed enemies from moving up and down when they are directly to the players left or right
  • Added hover over highlights to NPC depending on which action is selected
  • Added depth system for NPCs on screen
  • Added target box to NPCs to make it easier to target
  • Added Day/Night cycle indicator to sidebar
  • Added poop...
fd1dbf002e8f7e11b72d1a43afe2aeab_original.gif

Poop dynamics

As usual, the Dropbox folder has been updated with the latest version of the alpha build. Please use the Discord server for any feedback and suggestions! Ill be continuing to build out the world. I'm fairly happy with how the game is running at the moment. Frame rate has again been improved.

Code of the Savage Discord

~Geoff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2617055

Update 20 - NPC creator

NPCs

I wrote a program to help me organize and create NPC sprites. It's basically a paper doll system that spits out all the required sprites for each NPC. It's not pretty, but it serves its purpose. This will make it a lot easier for me going forward.

Added child NPC type to the game.

d4d987766e9ff624d39c7bf4bcb5a954_original.png

I've also painted 12 new NPC portraits:

330bf5735c86f92d1b131680cc9c1116_original.png

Progress
It seems I am not going to make the ETA on the cloth map map deliveries. Put simply, it is because the map isn't finalized yet. I don't want to send you a map that is incomplete and I also don't want to be locked in to a map simply because I have already sent them out... I've also focused on other aspects of the game rather than world building. My apologies to the backers who were hoping to receive their maps by November. As soon as I have a new ETA, I will let you know. I will also be in touch soon to backers who are owed an NPC portrait.

As for an ETA on the beta, again it seems that it will be later than I anticipated. This is due to a number of factors. Firstly it can be very difficult to estimate an ETA for a project of this scale when I am the sole developer. I also made a lot of changes to the game mechanics, such as switching to the 16x16 movement grid. While this may seem like a small change on the outside, this alone set me back months, as the entire game was built around a 32x32 grid.

Again, I apologize for the delay... I am 100% dedicated to completing this game.

~Geoff

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2647553

Update 21 - Children of Eterin

Progress

I've been mostly working on world content but also got in some bug fixes and improvements. For example, NPC dialogue now shows a different color for character speech and narration. It was actually quite a lot of work to get this all ironed out...
  • Fixed misaligned NPC sprites when they are idle
  • Foliage types now tied to biomes automatically
  • Added new foliage types to desert and pine biomes
  • Amanita muscaria mushrooms now spawn randomly around pine trees
  • Fixed game crash on save
  • Fixed crash on spell casting
  • Updated barrel sprites
  • Colored text for NPC speech
I'll continue to work on adding world content in the coming month.

Children of Eterin
The Children of Eterin are a doomsday cult led by the self-proclaimed prophet, Caleb. They reside in a small self-sufficient commune in the thick southern pine forests.

The doctrine of the cult aligns in many ways to the mainstream Order of Leysar. However, followers of the cult believe that the god Eterin was right when he intended to purge the world through fire. They believe that all who follow Leysar will perish in an imminent cataclysm of fire. On this day of reckoning, they will join Eterin and ascend as gods.

Followers of Caleb enter the cult by utterly devoting their lives to him. They are considered to have been reborn into the cult, given new names and refer to Caleb as “Father”. In turn, Caleb refers to his followers as his children.

It is rumored that Caleb was an enforcer in the Order of Leysar during the height of its power; Thus along with his impressive powers of persuasion, he may possess powerful magic. Caleb claims to have a direct line of communication with Eterin. He claims to commune with Eterin in a room under his house inside the compound where no other members are permitted entry... What will you discover?

441905170ed7351e7c4e71d2c8c600d3_original.png

39267db5929a01d59b9e95af89fc3d2a_original.png

Thank you, everyone. The lasted alpha build 0.346 has been added to the dropbox folder.

~Geoff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2682344

Update 23 - Bugs have been added to the game + Alpha demo 0.350

Hello all,

This will only be a small update. I started a new job recently, and have been away on training for 2 weeks in another city. So I haven't had a lot of time for development. I did manage to get some writing done while I was away, though.

Anyway, as the title suggests, I have added bugs to the game. You can summon them by casting the swarm spell, then selecting an unlucky target... The swarm will attack the closest living thing (including the caster) Each individual insect is its own entity and will move independently to the rest of the swarm. They also emit their own randomized buzzing sound, so the more there are, the larger the swarm will sound. They each have a chance to sting the target if they are in range, so running away from them is advised. In future updates, you will be able to purge the swarm by using certain fire spells. See the video below.

Another minor addition, birds now fly away if approached.

A new demo version 0.350 has been added to the dropbox folder. Have fun casting swarms onto unsuspecting villagers.

~Geoff

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2710914

Update 24 - Alpha Demo 0.354

Sprite refinement

I overhauled the way the armor is drawn onto the player's character. Previously whatever equipment you were wearing would follow you around in sperate objects. This caused a lot of syncing problems and was very inefficient. Now, a new player sprite is created every time a new piece of equipment is put on or taken off equipped or un-equipped.

I know, I have overhauled this system in the past as well, but the syncing issues were still there, and this eliminates them completely as you can see below:

4666bba757fba624f4ed7de30c81ad27_original.gif

Before: Syncing issues
da79989858ede823ce6ed6d6238be6de_original.gif

After: No syncing issues

It may be difficult to notice, but in the before animation, some frames the armour would not line up with the player sprite, and would cause all sorts of jittering problems.

Throwables and Firebombs
Throwable items are now implemented. This includes the firebomb, which you can use to wreak havoc. Simply use the bomb, and then target. The bomb can be quite unpredictable and if you aren't careful, you may end up getting singed yourself...

Currently, the Firebomb doesn't do any damage, but the mechanics are all in place. For the moment, the bombs are not consumed, so have fun painting the town red. In a future update, NPC's will catch fire and react accordingly. A firebomb has been placed in quick slot 1.

New Weapon Art
I've created some new weapon are and revamped some older ones:

75abfa80fa9f99c514a355ca803704bd_original.png

Various additions
  • Added throwable items
  • Added Firebombs
  • Added game paused indicator
  • Fixed - Can't place wearable items in the inventory icon
  • Converted the player avatar to equipment to sprite-based
  • Added missing chainmail sprites
As usual, the new Demo version has been added to the dropbox link.

Have a good Xmass break everyone,

~Geoff

Last edited by a moderator:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Its gaze turns to you. Long dead flesh barely clings to its ancient frame. It slowly points its bony hand toward you... You are unclear of its intentions... You find yourself unable to move."

"Goodbye" "Name"

Gave me a chuckle.

Why can't I ask the Lich about its Job though?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2732892

Update 25 - Alpha 0.359

Hello all,

I hope everyone had a good Christmas break and new year! Development slowed a bit over the Christmas break but recently I have been building the assets for the various ancient ruins found throughout the land. This includes a new tileset.

714c13afd94167c6c2df27331399fc44_original.png

As you enter the ruins, you notice the walls and floor have been directly carved from the natural stone with exquisite precision. Ancient glowing crystals still illuminate the halls... These ruins were built long before the foundation of the Kingdom of Daneth. Who were the people that built it, and what was their fate?

63574f0905c20d0045ff967663d41105_original.png

7ecac982314ef4a87c4ec49c7678a9fa_original.png

ae014e68e3e9d9ebff39317df546020e_original.png

Without going into spoiler details, the lich and its identity play a very important role in the overarching story.

e1ce9f75cb66888528ab3b6c8848f6a5_original.png

For eligible backers, if you want to check it out, a new demo has been added to the demo dropbox folder. It is only a small section of ruins for display purposes. You can find a teleporter in Quinlans' house on the northeast side of town.

I am also aware of the bug which causes the dungeon to be fully illuminated for a few seconds after entering the dungeon... workin' on it :)

~Geoff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2771440

Update 26 - Alpha Demo version 0.366

This is Gunni. Gunni lives alone on a cliffside above the Cravenfield mines. Gunni believes he's responsible for making the sun rise by blowing an obnoxiously loud "magic" horn in the early hours of the morning - much to the annoyance of the town below...

Gunni probably drinks a little too much of his "magical cactus" brew.

395be9901a61726abfdf697cd6816d8a_original.png

35370f8f3604c55c664e8f6b7af312be_original.png

New armour set. The dark heart armour is a one of a kind, unique set.

I was in China for 2 weeks during the height of the coronavirus outbreak, then had to self isolate for 2 weeks when I returned home. On the day we returned home, we lost power in the apartment for 4 days :( despite this, I still managed to get some work done.

I've upgraded the way the game handles the item database to make it easier and more flexible for me to add and manage new items. Previously it was a bit unwieldy.

After some feedback from testers, I've now made Items and NPCs double-clickable. For example, NPCs will open a dialogue window when double-clicked and items will be used when double-clicked. This includes things like torches, books and other usable decoration items. This required a lot of code rewriting, so there are bound to be bugs.

It would be good to get your feedback on how the item dragging and double-clicking feels.

Alpha version 0.366 has been added to the dropbox folder

~Geoff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2823160

Update 27 - Alpha Demo version 0.370

Hi all! I hope everyone is staying safe...

I've mostly been working on the game environment and art as well as content so that I can gave the game ready for beta. I've improved how cliffsides are drawn as well as making shadow placements automated.

d6c7198cfd701bbc9d19e6bad71b700f_original.png

The towns of Sainsbury and Greenwood have been added. It's a little hard to show the towns in a single screenshot, so Here are some aerial views minus the trees.

Sainsbury is a small southern fishing village... or at least it was. Greenwood is located on the tip of the southeasternmost peninsular. It's the main export being wild game.

01b63409f1f40fcfeb3b95ce6e2e82ed_original.png

Village of Sainsbury
6418843c4600baf5ebeff4acd1d32402_original.png

Greenwood
6fa75a92268fc08bced806ca024c44c6_original.png

Jinsia - One of the inhabitants of Greenwood
29bf60ef0b2b409e3c0aadbfc3d07c66_original.png

I painted 15 new portraits and made some adjustments to another older one. In total now, I've finished 73 portraits

9c1366c5a1c4193e503d9e9abae969b8_original.png

New NPC portraits

This particular NPC portrait was one of the very first ones I did, and I was never happy with it, so I decided to paint it from scratch with the same reference image. A big improvement if I do say so myself :)(This is Harold the bouncer at the Golden Ore in Penthos)

236069f82ca038b4eed9569b18a54b81_original.png

Old /New

I didn't completely redo this one from scratch, but another NPC, that I revisited was the one below. I had revisited this one in the past but again wasn't happy with it as it didn't match the other portraits. Anyway, I feel its a huge improvement! Gone are those black dot eyeballs...

7f6553d97a9b4456f31fe0f2ddd2ca03_original.png

Before/after

I'll be focusing on content building for the foreseeable future and hope to have a bigger demo to show soon.

~Geoff

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game is looking really good actually, and I'm surprised it's not receiving more attention.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:incline: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106227726/code-of-the-savage-rpg/posts/2891922

Update 28: Penthos! Alpha Demo 0.378

Hello backers!

This update is mostly about Penthos the Capital of Daneth. You will now be able to access Penthos in the alpha demo and interact with the various inhabitants! There is obviously some holes, missing NPCs (particularly in the castle) and dialogue trees, but it's all a work in progress :)

The demo features a previously unheard track by Tom Pyrdol.

ed0f7fb279d1debf77b50579e7a2b11b_original.png

Penthos

Penthos currently consists of 25 buildings including the castle. Have a wander through the city and see what you find. I recommend having a chat with Esther, the town blabbermouth.

32ee78d654f4f4e287eb210f47fd5c07_original.png

f4a2ceeac7c06e6fe397340870294e6b_original.png

I've been working hard on content such as NPC dialogues and world-building, but here are a few of the notable bug fixes:
  • Fixed attack sound causing a crash after the item database update
  • Stopped items from being dragged while in the shop window (this was causing the player to be able to drag items out of the shop and resell them to the shop owner
  • Fixed being able to use items while in an NPC dialogue
  • Fixed children NPCs getting lost behind walls
  • Fixed NPCs freezing at midnight if they had no schedule points
  • Fixed book text paragraphs showing incorrectly
  • Fixed NPC depth issue
  • Added wooden fort tiles to auto title
  • Added colour grading shader

be00c9d85409d9ae4470903c35807321_original.png

f87ef05393e3b723ba32d099e263e4f6_original.png

The new alpha demo is in the dropbox folder that eligible alpha backers should have. If you have lost the link, check your private messages from me, or send me a new PM and I'll give you the link.

Please submit any bugs via https://www.codeofthesavage.com/bug

I am aware of the bug that causes some decoration items to flicker. And you are restricted to inside the city walls in the demo.

Thanks and have fun!

~Geoff

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe I'm losing my mind but this is the most inclined thing I've seen this entire year. Me want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom