Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Codex Baldur's Gate 3 EA Poll

What is your opinion of BG3 early access?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeepOcean

Arcane
To be honest, I didnt play it yet and maybe in the distant future maybe, a huge maybe, I will summon the courage to try it after the beta testers are finished. I'm not stupid to pay for a game that I dont expect much just for the hope that the missing 3/4 of it doesnt suck.

The reason for my disinterest is that it looks like a game made for fags and manchildren, the same kind of cringe that go on RPG conventions, it is not a wonder why it is being so successful, it captured the nu-RPG fans market right there. From what I've seen of the characters, some I just want to torture and murder, the others are a big meh, not that different from BG 1 and 2 but Larian choices made everything look more... infantile like this is Disney version of the Forgotten Realms, that whole "We must go EPICZ!" attitude sounds like moronic pandering too.

I just wanted a Hero's journey kind of rpg with a decent aesthetics, where you have a nobody hero guy, going from location A to location B, doing all sorts of stuff in the middle and becoming more powerful during the journey, with some level of maturity in it. This whole "You have an ithilid on your head" nonsense is a big turn off.

Nope, I'm not wishing for a philosophical inclined plot from a BG game, BG games are low brow fantasy as it gets but I just cant take Larian stuff seriously from what Ive seen from the game, it activates my cringe alert to maximum level. Later, when the full game is released and people talk about the combat and if the game has incline combat encounters, I will buy the enhanced edition at 75% off just ignore the story, skip the dialog to get to the fights and have some TB 5e combat.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
My opinion of both Divinity Original Sin 3 and Larian is probably best described as aggressive disinterest.
Before I thought I would be going around the Codex shitting on the game when it came out and now that it's out, I just really don't care.

But I probably will hate all the people who are gonna suck this game's dick, so maybe I should just give it time.

Jezal_k23

Disinterest is neutral, like you can forget the game and its fans even exist. Aggressiveness implies a form of interest.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Disinterest is neutral, like you can forget the game and its fans even exist. Aggressiveness implies a form of interest.
Thank you fellow autist for that much needed, and not at all obvious, explanation.

Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm!

Ulysa

Scholar
nothing will change the fundamental flaw that it's a boring themepark RPG. No amount of polish or movie-like cinematics or sex cutscenes will change my mind about it. They didn't even try.
Exactly. When they tell me is just beta...but all I see is a studio trying to draw attention with banal elements and a gameplay that I can't still believe how boring it is, even when I have some good memories of DOS2... there's no hope in my mind. And I really don't understand how it can have good reviews, which troubles me even more than this lost opportunity.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
If only they get rid off cinematic, voice acting and Fully 3D graphic the game could be a passable turn based CRPG.

Not worthy Baldurs Gate name though.

jackofshadows

Magister
I was very skeptical about this so I'm glad that was mostly wrong. Lots of things still could change for better or worse though so it's hard to judge overall and even harder to compare BG3 with the whole BioWare trilogy.

My biggest complain about cramped theme-park map hardly goes anywhere, as well as many other D:OS 'leftovers' but it has great potential for sure. Hate this saying "the game has potential" by the way but I think it's appropriate here. So far it feels like TB DA:O with extremely curved maps instead of flat ones.

Not a big fan of original BG series so I've put subj above it.

Last edited:
I picked the third option.
I don't think it's better than BG2 YET, but I think it *could* be if they address a couple of glaring flaws.
There are things the game already does better than the old Baldur's Gate games, but when it stinks, the smell can be almost insufferable.

The Good:

- a lot of core mechanics are great
- The combat at its core is excellent and a very faithful adaptation of the 5th editions (bar some questionable liberties with action economy that will arguably need some fine tuning).
- visuals and production value are literally at the peak of this genre currently, with very little coming even remotely close.
- The art so far is very solid, at times even absolutely gorgeeous.
- If this EA is anything to go by, this is going to be an enormous game.

The Bad:

- The chain/unchain/auto-follow party control scheme needs to be thrown in a hellpit and forgot by the ages, just to be replaced with a more traditional RTS-like control scheme ((you know, what this genre has used successfully for the last 20 years). I hate this aspect so much that I'm bitching about it on the official forum at the point I'm starting to feel borderline autistic.
- A four-men party is disappointing and too limiting. And no "4 players is the recommended party for P&P sessions" is an apples-and-oranges comparison and not a compelling argument.
- No day/night cycle and proper passage of time is a bit disappointing, but this was confirmed months ago as no negotiable and I'm not going to waste my time crying over it.
- The idea that ANY potential companion has to be a "playable" origin story is idiotically wasteful and too limiting on their potential variety. I hope they are already realizing this on their own and reconsidering it.
- if Larian is going to confirm their current declared intent to "get rid of all companions not in your party at the end of act 1, forcing the player to COMMIT" as they did with DOS 2, that's going to suck immensely.

The Ugly (so far):
- Too many fucking containers anywhere. Most empty, but that may be just "because EA", and that's just part of the problem. Frankly filling them wouldn't solve the problem, just make it worse. They need to be massively reduced in numbers.
- Class and race selection so far feels fairly limited. I'd take as a given that a lot more is coming. How much "a lot more" is supposed to be has to be clarified, on the other hand.
Inventory management is already a nightmare by the end of Act 1 and we still have most of the game ahead. Larian NEEDS to trim down a lot of fat here and make it way more slim and practical to use. We don't need 80 fucking types of food (if you want food in the game make it an abstract resource like Lords of Xulima), 200 keys (the automatic magic keyring was already introduced with Ultima VII, for Christ's sake) and other 200 books and letters in our bags (make up a separate menu for them).
- They are taking a fair amount of liberties with rules and action economy. I'm not invested enough with playing P&P D&D to care particularly about this, but I guess they'll need to pay more attention to what they are messing with because a lot of people are pissed about it.

Anyway, overall I'm very impressed with what's there.
I can see this becoming a modern classic with the right adjustments from Larian... Or going completely to shit, if they will be stubborn once again and insist that they know better than the almost totality of their user base telling them they are doing something poorly (magic armor and randomized loot, anyone?).

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
- Too many fucking containers anywhere. Most empty, but that may be just "because EA", and that's just part of the problem. Frankly filling them wouldn't solve the problem, just make it worse. They need to be massively reduced in numbers.

And there is no button map for "take all" & "close"(?), if there were it would be a lot less tedious. And if we could move the loot box to an edge of the screen and every new box opened there instead of right in the middle of the screen blocking other containers to click :P

The game is an absolute fucking abortion, a true spawn of that fag Swen and his Larian cohorts. A fucking disgrace to the Baldur's Gate gaming legacy.

Omg so true. WTF is this shit anyway? It doesn't feel like a Baldur's Gate game at all. Nothing feels familiar. It's like DS2, but even worse...How did we get to this point?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom