Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex being free AA

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Fair enough,you could still talk about some old games they had played and such. But there is also a lot of idiots that just come for the politics. Like negro marine

Irenaus is white. White! How dare you.

On a serious note, we all have our part.
Andhaira, Hiver, neckbeard shitlord or whatever the fuck his name was, people that drove the mods mad (hell, i was there when DU actually said to Hiver "you're not wanted here", never seen him do that with anyone else) along with God knows how many members? Can you really say, long run view, they did not contribute? 'Cause in their own way, they actually did. You'll have your "mascots" everywhere, they can add to the palette.
Am obviously not endorsing or encouraging, lol, but .. macro, not micro on this one.

Now from the average member's perspective?
To each their own and they're judged for it. To each and every one; not just the "mascots", but all the others too, thinking they're better and/or have something to contribute.
Again, time and time alone shows.
In the meantime, your actions dictate the outcome. I talk differently to someone like Maxie or Maximus, differently to rusty or eyestabber (even though both are near-autistic RPGs knowledgeable they're of a very, very different cut), a hell of a lot differently to, say, kemosabe or mastroego; literally normal fucking people, having actual, literally normal fucking opinions. Whether i agree or disagree with them, good to have them aboard.

Why would i waste my time, go out of my way finding people i can mark as 'x' or 'y'?
And why would you?
Worse case scenario, what? Your convo got derailed? Tag a mod, nowadays am getting the impression they bother a lot more with that, so .. there you go.
please don't reply to my thread anymore i'd really appreciate it

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
If shoutbox is going to be a platform for free expression (ad nauseum) of racist agendas and reposting 4chan turds, no reason it can't be a safe place to be drunk and maybe get some support.

Back when I was drinking, drunk posting on the codex probably saved someone's life from me going out and driving or doing destructive shit.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Meh. But I will say that I can understand how somebody might actually prefer talking about politics etc here because it's a gaming forum. That provides a measure of detachment. Talking about politics on a dedicated politics website is serious business. On the Codex, it's just shooting the shit.
yeah, and the fact that we're all somehow similar on at least one or two levels. those being: we're all gamers and mostly male.

there's a lot more chance of having the slightest bit of common ground here vs wandering into some reddit-tier discord server, or a certain basket weaving forum populated in large part by edgy teens, trannies and glow niggers.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Meh. But I will say that I can understand how somebody might actually prefer talking about politics etc here because it's a gaming forum. That provides a measure of detachment. Talking about politics on a dedicated politics website is serious business. On the Codex, it's just shooting the shit.
yeah, and the fact that we're all somehow similar on at least one or two levels. those being: we're all gamers and mostly male.

there's a lot more chance of having the slightest bit of common ground here vs wandering into some reddit-tier discord server, or a certain basket weaving forum populated in large part by edgy teens, trannies and glow niggers.

One of the big things with the Codex for me is I don't have to worry about using some banned word that the committee has arbitrarily added to the naughty list.

I'm getting too old to keep up with the zoomers and all the dumb rules they keep pulling out of their asses.

That, and, as you say, there is actually common ground to be found here with most people. Even people here I disagree with entirely politically, I'll still likely share views with on vidya.

LostHisMarbles

Learned
Codex nowadays is more like

what it always was, a mirror; not the only mirror, just one among many. And ultimately, they'd all point you to the same conclusions if you were so inclined:

i) a worldwide decline in everything cultural/intellectual
ii) lower and lower economic standards for the vast majority of people that could, maybe, had once been called middle class
iii) standards changinging due to the influx of an increasing number of people that are shaped from the above two, entirely due to their age of birth, naught their own fault. Only it is now them that get to define our world.

Cultivation, of the spirit or self, is very relapsed in younger generations. No longer needed. Though i am sure many would argue differently; all them pixels later, surely they are a better person; surely.
You add to that the strifes of an ever tougher economy to make do with, hell, just look around. And as to age? ie the norms and conditions within which the younger ones have grown up?
See how they can't even express themselves without linking or mentioning something from that vast umbrella of virtual nothingness we call 'social media'. From "posts" (of randoms), to "tweets" (of randoms), to "memes", to "pics", etc. Hell, i've seen smilies and memes in business email and documents, never mind in forums.
See how this forum (presuming you lurked for a sufficient number of years prior to actually joining) has changed, ever since the brofist was deemed insufficient; all those retards that press buttans now? They once had to type. A major one for me.
See how often the TLDR is used. Even here. RPGs right? Attention? Patience? RTFM? My ass, lolol, too long didn't read.
And see how, predominantly non-woke notwithstanding, how said non-woke (real smart and aware likes, innit bruh) members talk, act and link (memes, pics, et al.); yeap, just like their woke counterparts. Same culture.

I could go on, but .. you get the idea :)

It's just much better here than most other places, thank God. Can one honestly expect more? People all over, conditions more or less the same. I wouldn't complain personally.

Can't be helped. Embrace evolution luj1.
May i interest you in some good quality alternatives? Over here, my shop's round the corner.

/miltiades

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Codex nowadays is more like Stormfront meets Godlike productions
From Mobygames:
Don Daglow founded Stormfront Studios in 1988 after he left Brøderbund Software, Inc.. They are known for such titles as the Tony La Russa's Baseball games, the Eagle Eye Mysteries games, the EA Sports NASCAR series among others.

On 31st March 2008, the employees were told the company was closing down, due to adverse business conditions.
Also Known As
  • Beyond Software, Inc. (from 1988 to 1993)

Mobygames doesn't mention in the overview that, during its time as Beyond Software, Stormfront developed Neverwinter Nights, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, and Stronghold, all with the D&D/AD&D license via SSI as publisher.

214631-neverwinter-nights-dos-front-cover.jpg
696-stronghold-dos-front-cover.jpg

67269-gateway-to-the-savage-frontier-amiga-front-cover.jpg
169718-treasures-of-the-savage-frontier-amiga-front-cover.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Codex nowadays is more like

what it always was, a mirror; not the only mirror, just one among many. And ultimately, they'd all point you to the same conclusions if you were so inclined:

i) a worldwide decline in everything cultural/intellectual
ii) lower and lower economic standards for the vast majority of people that could, maybe, had once been called middle class
iii) standards changinging due to the influx of an increasing number of people that are shaped from the above two, entirely due to their age of birth, naught their own fault. Only it is now them that get to define our world.

Cultivation, of the spirit or self, is very relapsed in younger generations. No longer needed. Though i am sure many would argue differently; all them pixels later, surely they are a better person; surely.
You add to that the strifes of an ever tougher economy to make do with, hell, just look around. And as to age? ie the norms and conditions within which the younger ones have grown up?
See how they can't even express themselves without linking or mentioning something from that vast umbrella of virtual nothingness we call 'social media'. From "posts" (of randoms), to "tweets" (of randoms), to "memes", to "pics", etc. Hell, i've seen smilies and memes in business email and documents, never mind in forums.
See how this forum (presuming you lurked for a sufficient number of years prior to actually joining) has changed, ever since the brofist was deemed insufficient; all those retards that press buttans now? They once had to type. A major one for me.
See how often the TLDR is used. Even here. RPGs right? Attention? Patience? RTFM? My ass, lolol, too long didn't read.
And see how, predominantly non-woke notwithstanding, how said non-woke (real smart and aware likes, innit bruh) members talk, act and link (memes, pics, et al.); yeap, just like their woke counterparts. Same culture.

I could go on, but .. you get the idea :)

It's just much better here than most other places, thank God. Can one honestly expect more? People all over, conditions more or less the same. I wouldn't complain personally.

Can't be helped. Embrace evolution luj1.
May i interest you in some good quality alternatives? Over here, my shop's round the corner.

/miltiades

What's the point of reading huge effortposts when it's just going to be schizophasia

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

Even in the old days of the internet, places like this did not exist, except on the IRC or sth.

It's unfortunate you do not recognize what you have here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom