Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Best jRPGs Ever Poll RESULTS

Zlaja

Arcane
Dragon Quest XI, the Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Nier, Nier Automata, Tales of Berseria, and Dragon's Dogma all had me revisit previous locations in sidequests or even in the main quest

Yeah, 'cause if any game is evident of classic jrpg design it's Nier Automata and FF7 remake. :roll:

I don’t think I’ve played a JRPG that didn’t have respawning enemies/random encounters through areas I had already traversed.

What are you talking about? No one said anything about respawning enemies/random encounters. We were talking about being forced to keep revisiting and sloging through same combat areas during questing and how often this occured.

dacencora

What are you talking about? No one said anything about respawning enemies/random encounters. We were talking about being forced to keep revisiting and sloging through same combat areas during questing and how often this occured

Respawning enemies? As in enemies that respawn after you’ve defeated them? As in the enemies that show up again in the area when you revisit it after you’ve already cleared it? A staple of the JRPG genre? The part where you have to go back through the same area you’ve already been through and you have to fight the enemies you’ve already fought because they respawned? Something that happens in all the games I listed. Usually it happens after you’ve completed a dungeon and/or boss at the end of the dungeon. Then you have to backtrack from the dungeon to your next destination. Do I need to make it more clear? This is a very common occurring thing that happens in practically every JRPG.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, 'cause if any game is evident of classic jrpg design it's Nier Automata and FF7 remake. :roll:

It's an aspect that's existed for over a decade. My knowledge of 00s jrpgs is incomplete so I can't say when exactly it started, but Nier predates Dragon's Dogma.

Cat Dude

Savant
Western made JRPG; Anachronox, Septerra Core, Child of Light, Sudeki, Penny Arcade, Stick of Truth, Secret of Evermore, Pier Solar.

Codex Year of the Donut
FF9 is a western made JRPG yet it's on the list
that wasn't a joke in the original thread, FF9 was developed in Hawaii by a mostly western staff.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2000/09/21/the-final-fantasy-ix-team-spills-all
Q: How does having split development sites in Hawaii and Japan affect the outcome of a game?

A: Many of our FFIX staff members come from overseas. Many of them have worked actively in Hollywood. Square has gained a major advantage from working with these highly skilled individuals. Since it would be somewhat difficult for our overseas members to work in Japan, Hawaii was the ideal place for the team to work together.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
In the past JRPG meant a kind of RPG streamlined and simplified in order to be played on consoles. Now the distinction between JRPGs and RPGs (or WRPGs) doesn't make sense anymore. Now we have only JRPGs: every game is made primarly for consoles.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Daruku Soru and Dragon Dogma are western style rpg made in Japan.

They don't play or feel like western action RPGs made by the likes of Piranha Bytes, Warhorse, Larian, Bethesda, Obsidian, CD Projekt, Bioware. They stick out like a sore thumb in that bunch. They're action jrpgs.

Zlaja

Arcane
Usually it happens after you’ve completed a dungeon and/or boss at the end of the dungeon. Then you have to backtrack from the dungeon to your next destination. Do I need to make it more clear? This is a very common occurring thing that happens in practically every JRPG

You do some revisiting, yes. I didn't say you never revisited areas in Jrpgs, but Rogue claimed you do this so much in these games that it's a "staple of the genre". I disagree with that and argue that in most classic jrpgs this is fairly limited and by no means more frequent than in western rpgs.

It's an aspect that's existed for over a decade. My knowledge of 00s jrpgs is incomplete so I can't say when exactly it started, but Nier predates Dragon's Dogma.

When talking about classic jrpg design I'm referring to games that date all the way back to late 80's and early 90's. I started playing Jrpgs myself back in early 90's. Games like FF7 remake are a far cry from such design.

thelegend

Learned
Hmm sometimes these terms - jrpg/ western rpgs may not be proper as jrpg is just an evolution of western rpgs like wizardry

dacencora

argue that in most classic jrpgs this is fairly limited

Have you never played Dragon Quest 1? Don’t get me wrong, I love that game, but acting like you don’t retread your steps in the seminal classic JRPG is pretty odd. It’s just a big part of the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When talking about classic jrpg design I'm referring to games that date all the way back to late 80's and early 90's. I started playing Jrpgs myself back in early 90's. Games like FF7 remake are a far cry from such design.

Over time new traditions are established. Dialogue trees didn't exist in the 80s, but every single-player wrpg since the 90s has had them. As the amount of effort required to build a 3D level increased, a solution was found to continue supporting the many dozens of hours of gameplay that is expected in a jrpg.

mushaden

Scholar
Actually on second look it is a good list. I just recoiled when I saw Shining Force 1 above 2 and then Persona 4 (which I assume is a very gay game) right below. The rest mostly looks good.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
FF9 is a western made JRPG yet it's on the list
that wasn't a joke in the original thread, FF9 was developed in Hawaii by a mostly western staff.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2000/09/21/the-final-fantasy-ix-team-spills-all
Q: How does having split development sites in Hawaii and Japan affect the outcome of a game?

A: Many of our FFIX staff members come from overseas. Many of them have worked actively in Hollywood. Square has gained a major advantage from working with these highly skilled individuals. Since it would be somewhat difficult for our overseas members to work in Japan, Hawaii was the ideal place for the team to work together.
programmed by nasir

S.torch

Arbiter
Neither the poll itself nor the results were posted in the front page of the Codex.
Both threads with a very poorly made OP. With no graphics to facilitate the reading of the results, no reviews to know a bit on why those games won, no images neither for the individual or collective of winning games, not even a bit of enthusiasm reads in these posts.

In fact, the thread is just a spreadsheet.

So, yeah, this isn't a serious poll at all.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The news-post version of this thread should be in the form of a top 20 list, with a convenient image montage of game covers and some blurbs about the games, similar to the Codex top ## polls:

kaFzrovl.jpg

dacencora

I mean if you wanted a serious attempt at a poll someone else that plays JRPGs and is not a shitposter would probably need to be involved (aka not Maxie).

Mortmal

Arcane
Yes , why do you shit on maxie ? He did nothing wrong , the codex is the only place on the planet putting games like dark souls and dragon's dogma under the jrpg label, even on steam they are not . He's not the one being retarded there, fault is on the management 's only interest which is run some community of weirdos and/or getting ads money . When we think of jrpg, at least the persons interested in gaming , we think of anime like graphics ,most often turn or semi turn based, final fantasy tales of, rpgmaker shit etc... those are "jrpg". The most voted games here are of course not jrpg , as people prefer something else.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Perhaps we should define jrpg as a rpg (whether tb or not rb) that was first originally released in Japanese for the Japanese market and later received an English or International translation or release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom