Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Codex Fighting Game Players

Are you a fighting game player?

• Total voters

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
How many Codexers are actually serious fighting game players? Most fighting game threads here don't get a lot of traffic in the first place and the discussion usually revolves around drama, visuals and basically everything other than the actual gameplay anyway.

Are you a serious fighting game player who spends hours in training mode labbing characters, practicing combos, learning frame data and playing competitively online or even offline in your local fighting game scene?

Are you a casual player who mashes buttons or spams the one and only combo/special they know and mostly plays single player modes or maybe versus with a friend sometimes?

Or are you simply not interested in fighting games in general?

Let's find out!

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
serious fighting game players
14799.jpg

PrettyDeadman

leys play tekken 7.
my gamepad triangle doesn't work and I am not that good, but if you are up to it lets play.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I still enjoy playing brawlers like Streets of rage and Double dragon and the like once in a while and I played the first 3 MK and early SF as a youngster when they were new and exciting (arcade and PC versions) and I replay them occasionally but that's mainly for the nostalgia hit they provide. I know some special moves of the few characters I always pick but I'm not interested enough to become very good at these games.

I don't care about the modern versions and care even less about e-sports and all the obnoxious decline that surrounds it.

edit: Heh, apparently I have the Mortal Kombat KolleKtion on Steam. I wonder if those are good ports and if they play nice with a PS4 kontroller.

editII: lol

tehYKHq.png

You kan start the game but you kan't "Press Enter" to go to the main menu. Another kuality produkt from Ed Boon and ko.

EditIII:
Ripping out the cancer that is gfwl fixed it. The game also seems to work fine with a ps4 controller.
Of course now the games can not be played online anymore. But that's of no significance to me.

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
A few months ago I started getting into them, after playing them casually a long time ago then not touching them for a decade. Soulcalibur 6 is my main game to play online (Azwel main), and while I'm not autistically labbing for hours a day I do make an effort to learn combos and such. I've also played around with the anime fighting games (mostly dead online, sadly), and the post-reboot Mortal Kombats (though I won't touch the new one, not about to support the Mind Virus). Looking forward to picking up DOA 6 in a couple weeks as the devs seem to have redeemed themselves AFAIC, hopefully it won't be, well, DOA.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I used to be very competitively into them, but only locally. I grew up in an arcade culture and besides RPGs I fell in love with it immediately. You always wanted to be "that guy" everyone lined up to try and beat. This was when home ports weren't perfect but they were the only things you could practice on before you scrounged up enough cash to go and take on the local competition a few blocks away.

I played a lot of fighting games and the ones I consider myself as being good at: Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting, Super Street Fighter II: Turbo, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Mortal Kombat II, Soul Blade, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Soul Calibur, Capcom vs. SNK

However, there is one fighting game that I can honestly say I was a fucking beast at. I was "that guy" who would haunt the cabinet all day. That game is Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. I reached a point in that game that I knew how to play nearly every character well, so well I would cockily random select (but if you made it a money match I'd bust out Human Smoke without hesitation).

After arcades began to crash and disappeared except in the odd convenience store or sandwich place, I zoned out and stopped caring about the competitive aspect. I had a brief resurgence with MK9 when it came to online (I just thought MK9 was a damn good game), but I never liked online for fighting games. It's a poor substitute to the real life arcade experience. Having a group of people huddled around you, flocking the screen, you formed friendships and made rivals. Tempers flared, shit got heated, but you always kept it at the cabinet because you'd have a mutual respect at the end of it unless you were a complete scumbag. And if you were a scumbag that tried to jump people outside you'd get jumped back by everybody in there as a code of honor. Massive trash talking, but it'd always end with laughs and drinks or food being bought for a good game. There was a wild west atmosphere to it all, but it always felt like a brotherhood at the end of the night. You'd sit around loitering on the street corner or taking the subway/bus home and just chill and straight talk about stuff. Made a lot of great friends that way.

And it's also why the e-sports thing doesn't work well. It feels too corporate, too sterilized and controlled. You need that rowdy atmosphere that was a verbal no-holds-barred, you had to put up with people heckling you to try and throw you off, with that one guy's annoying as fuck girlfriend that kept whining about being there, the occasional pushes or shoves from everybody crowding around when things were getting tense. When you were a local legend and then you'd hear about other players that occasionally would visit your town and you felt like you were having turf wars. Guys all around neighborhoods like Coney, Staten, Brooklyn, Bronx, it was a magical time. Now I see people playing in fucking stadiums and shit and it's like "whaaaa?"

Last edited by a moderator:

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
After arcades began to crash and disappeared except in the odd convenience store or sandwich place, I zoned out and stopped caring about the competitive aspect. I had a brief resurgence with MK9 when it came to online (I just thought MK9 was a damn good game), but I never liked online for fighting games. It's a poor substitute to the real life arcade experience. Having a group of people huddled around you, flocking the screen, you formed friendships and made rivals. Tempers flared, shit got heated, but you always kept it at the cabinet because you'd have a mutual respect at the end of it unless you were a complete scumbag. And if you were a scumbag that tried to jump people outside you'd get jumped back by everybody in there as a code of honor. Massive trash talking, but it'd always end with laughs and drinks or food being bought for a good game. There was a wild west atmosphere to it all, but it always felt like a brotherhood at the end of the night. You'd sit around loitering on the street corner or taking the subway/bus home and just chill and straight talk about stuff. Made a lot of great friends that way.

And it's also why the e-sports thing doesn't work well. It feels too corporate, too sterilized and controlled. You need that rowdy atmosphere that was a verbal no-holds-barred, you had to put up with people heckling you to try and throw you off, with that one guy's annoying as fuck girlfriend that kept whining about being there, the occasional pushes or shoves from everybody crowding around when things were getting tense. When you were a local legend and then you'd hear about other players that occasionally would visit your town and you felt like you were having turf wars. Guys all around neighborhoods like Coney, Staten, Brooklyn, Bronx, it was a magical time. Now I see people playing in fucking stadiums and shit and it's like "whaaaa?"

:salute: good times. Used to play alot of dota [old wc3] at local internet cafes when I was younger. Similar feeling. Was nice moment before online matchmaking really took off and games were still kind of nerdy. Unbelievable trashtalk. Usually the cafes were in malls or commercial center too, so post-game smoko game breakdown you all be excitingly arguing esoteric game aspects while parents walk by to take their kids grocery shopping with looks of terror and confusion.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
The only fighting game i was serious about was dragon ball budokai 3 as it was a big deal in my boarding school, people used to always play it and if you werent good, you had to wait ages before it was your turn again. Ended up having to main yamcha just to keep things interesting.

Oh also had to be decent at super smash bros too for similar reasons but there was a couple of people who were good enough i never had to handicap myself.

Otherwise im a happy amateur, dabble in soul calibur 6 and mortal kombat when mood suits me but certainly dont spend hours in trainning mode, learning a few reliable moves and combos is good enough for me and i wing it from there.

Tried briefly to get more serious about mk9 but got a bit tired of having people constantly send me angry pms, i get the vibe fighting game players tend to be the saltiest mofos on the planet.

Last edited:

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I was huge into Guilty Gear and fighting games in general up until about 6 months ago, but then I burned out on them. No idea why, I just kinda stopped enjoying any of them at one point.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Looking forward to picking up DOA 6 in a couple weeks as the devs seem to have redeemed themselves AFAIC, hopefully it won't be, well, DOA.

It's going to be very good based on the beta. I highly recommend buying the game, as long as it's compatible with your core values, of course.

I've obviously pre-ordered the deluxe edition months ago :d1p:

Terra

Cipher
I really like them but juggling multiple fighting games with expansive rosters just isn't possibly for me anymore from a free time perspective.

In Tekken 7, I main Kaz, have since Tekken 1, recently picked up Armor King for a change. Execution wise, Kaz isn't getting any easier as I get older and the necessity to be simultaneously good at wavedashing, EWGF and maintain a solid defense against a huge roster (each with 70+ moves each) has hit a plateau for me where I simply can't be bothered labbing more characters; I don't feel the payoff is worth it. I often play with other FG fans at work, many of whom partake in local FGC matches and I can match & beat them more often than not.

A similar time investment skill plateau exists in SCVI, I main Nightmare, have done ever since SC2. Online, I feel I've hit a point where I'd need to put in significantly more time to learn the movesets and setups of other characters to reliably progress further and I just struggle to justify that investment of time.

Ultimately, it's a time thing and I can't justify investing more time into fighters than I already do, I've got a bunch of other games to play and I'll never match someone that just focuses on fighters. TLDR - big casts of characters demand huge time investment to be competitive past a certain point, I'm decent enough at my favourites but I've got plenty of other games & genres I'd rather pour my free time into.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
How many Codexers are actually serious fighting game players? Most fighting game threads here don't get a lot of traffic in the first place and the discussion usually revolves around drama, visuals and basically everything other than the actual gameplay anyway.

Are you a serious fighting game player who spends hours in training mode labbing characters, practicing combos, learning frame data and playing competitively online or even offline in your local fighting game scene?

Are you a casual player who mashes buttons or spams the one and only combo/special they know and mostly plays single player modes or maybe versus with a friend sometimes?

Or are you simply not interested in fighting games in general?

Let's find out!
does senran kagura count?

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Looking forward to picking up DOA 6 in a couple weeks as the devs seem to have redeemed themselves AFAIC, hopefully it won't be, well, DOA.

It's going to be very good based on the beta. I highly recommend buying the game, as long as it's compatible with your core values, of course.

I've obviously pre-ordered the deluxe edition months ago :d1p:
I'd pre-order it, but i can't on PC. :negative:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I hope the both of you aren't serious right now. Pre-ordering as a concept is cancerous and must be purged.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I don't play them often. Too much autism for my taste and generally it just ends up in a couple of patterns/characters being abused to all hell, constantly, repeatedly, forever. Tekken is the best fighting game regardless.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I hope the both of you aren't serious right now. Pre-ordering as a concept is cancerous and must be purged.
Normally i'd agree, but when it comes to pre-order bonus waifus and waifu outfits, a man can only be so principled before he breaks and gives in.
Who's you're waifu, so I can call her shit.
But what if Steam runs out of copies?

:M
Then night, the wondrous time of bootleg videogames begins anew and we will be rich beyond our wildest dreams.

sullynathan

Arcane
Worst thing about fighting games is that going away from them for years makes your skills drop so low. No one online really cares about you so they won't take it easy on you and unless you're willing to spend time on training you're just going to keep losing.

Aging sucks

Jason Liang

Arcane
I mostly play KoF 2002, but have no one to play with since in China they are still stuck on 98. Trying to get better at XIII but it runs like shit on my laptop. I doubt XIV would even run, not going to try.

And I am pretty exclusive to my waifus King, Kula and Mature. Too lazy to learn the new chars, except Ash who is super easy to pick up. Oh and Duo Lon too, cheesy fucker.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom