Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex has gotten too edgy and has declined considerably

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by <3sRichardSimmons, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Define moderate. Pretty much every "moderate" forum or community ended up becoming a woke hellhole. Places like Reddit and even RPG.net were relatively "moderate" 10 years ago.

Strictly controlling discourse is always a slippery slope. It might be initially fine, but eventually someone says that X view is not welcome anymore, then Y is no longer welcome either. Eventually you just end up with a sterile boring community, or even worse a woke echo chamber.

If people have examples of communities where this hasn't happened, feel free to prove me wrong.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 11
    • Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  2. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    *welcoming to moderate views*

You must live in a entire different reality than me buddy, because that certainly doesn’t describe the internet.

In fact the codex is one of the last places you actually can post moderate views without being dogpiled on.

I’ve been banned from multiple forums for simply questioning. Not for stating anything extreme, not for being agressive, but for having the simple audacity to look at certain topics in a nuanced manner that were labeled black and white.

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    moderate views = you think it's ok for convicted pedophiles in drag to read books to children

• Brofist x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Good example was a gaming/piracy forum I used to post on. Back in 2014 they allowed full discussion of gamergate, and most of the posters were generally fairly anti-woke.

Slowly certain members started demanding "stricter" moderation, and many of whom eventually ended up moderators themselves. Political discussion got banned, though funnily enough only if it wasn't left leaning. Occasionally a token woke/SJW post would get shitcanned to make things look "fair". Eventually regulars/veterans were getting banned all over the shop.

This place was already way stricter than the Codex as well, and was pretty zero tolerance on outright "alt-right" stuff. The forum is pretty much dead these days, most of the regulars and old timers fucked off when the woke regime got their claws in the place.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    What today's politics are teaching me first hand is that people are very reactionary creatures, desperate for simplistic explanations and worldviews, no matter how idiotic those might be. Swathed in relative comfort of the past 3/4th of a century, the spoiled western generations freak out at the first signs of turbulence (the sjw crap, trannies, whatever), and instead of trying to fix this shit in a positive, productive way, half of them turn to brilliant past shit like tyrants, monarchies, racism, sexism, etc.

• Brofist x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 3
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    example of moderate views allowed on major social media platforms & gets you rewarded with a job at NYTimes
    [​IMG]

• Disgusting! x 7
    • Brofist x 4
    • honk honk! x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Shackleton Arcane Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Fucking hell, why do I make a post designed to cause response when I'm on my bloody phone and cba to deal with it's shitty small screen?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    • Funny x 14
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • honk honk! x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Strange Fellow Peculiar Patron Sad Loser

Strange Fellow
    And that's really the root of the problem. If people could say nigger wherever they liked, people who have nothing to offer beyond saying nigger wouldn't have to come here to do it. There's not much we can do about that, though, other than hope the internet gets unfucked somehow. Active moderation is just going to cause quality posters to leave.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    the more people get upset by NIGGER being posted the more other people will post NIGGER because they know it upsets those that are afraid of the word NIGGER

• Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Useful x 2
    • feels good man x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    The reason we have decline is not edginess, but lack thereof. Brutal critique is better for everyone in the end. Who gives a shit if that scared the devs away. I'm talking strictly about consumer standards.

If you are talking about politics, then you must understand that the world declined. Culture declined, art declined, gaming declined. Of course the Codex declined as well. So this topic is virtue signaling at its best.

Lastly, OP has poor gaming standards himself despite his advanced age, which is an amazing achievement in itself.

• Agree x 5
    • Brofist x 4
    • Prestigious x 3
    • decline x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. NJClaw I'm single now, looking for a new forum boyfriend Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    When I went to the US to visit my girlfriend's family I made the mistake of shouting "NIGGER" in a park and everyone got very upset. I tried to convince them that in Italy we are allowed to say that because there aren't as many blacks as in the US, but they've all been very suspicious of me for the entire trip.

• Funny x 6
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Racist x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Vlajdermen Arcane

Vlajdermen
    >Implying Italians are white

• nice x 6
    • Funny x 6
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Howdy Guest

Howdy
    CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA CRACKA

• Racist Racist x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    italy isn't even a real country, it's basically mediterranean belgium

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ravielsk Educated

Ravielsk
    A developer that is scared of by brutal critique is not a developer in the first place. True creatives worth their salt are the most critical of their own work, more than any other and constantly strive to improve it.
    By shutting off all critique or allowing only minor non-critiques you prevent any kind of improvement or growth from occurring. In fact all that invites is stagnation and eventually recession. Which ironically enough describes the current gaming and entertainment landscape perfectly.
    Why hello there Moviebob I did not know you use rpgcodex.
    But yes you are very much correct the people getting anxiety from looking at their faces on zoom calls are the true manifestations of mental strength and healthy social progress. Clearly its those fragile losers offhandedly mocking them on rpg enthusiast forums that are the wimpiest of wimps. On that note where exactly is this rpgcodex monarchist thread I would very much like go and educate those unenlightened swines with facts and logic. *tips fedora*

• Brofist x 5
    • Funny x 3
    • M'lady x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    • incline incline x 5
    ^ Top  
  19. Ravielsk Educated

Ravielsk
    Isn't one of the words for "black" "negro" in italian?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Corvinus Arcane

Corvinus
    The one who gets his thirty pieces of silver by posting presskit advertisements here, obviously. He'll also remove critique he doesn't agree with, like for example if you point out that just MAYBE all the girls in the Outer Worlds are a bit on the ugly side. Maybe there's an agenda there?

What was the russian saying now? "He cries out in pain as he strikes you." How apt. Got to lie a little in every sentence. It would be a funny joke if it wasn't true.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Sweeper Arcane Zionist Agent

Sweeper
    Said the Dalmatian.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Racist Racist x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Fluent Learned The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    I AM HERE TO RESTORE BALANCE!

jk. my ego isn't that big anymore. but more importantly, i wanted to say that, while i've only been around since 2013 or so? i've never seen a decline here. i don't visit the non-game areas, never have and never had much of an interest to, so i don't see a lot of nasty stuff that way. but in terms of rpg discussion and purely that, this site is still the best by far that i've seen, and it's greatly enjoyable for an rpg nerd that just wants to see what others think about games. beyond that, i don't mind the more... outrageous, parts of the discussions, either, i find it kinda quaint in a way. deep down and also not so deep u are all lovely people that like the genre, and that's good enough for me. no decline noticed.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    No, you are just a moron.

Today politics found its way into every pore and aspect of society. Including games. If you put politics into games, people are going to talk about it.

The world has gone to shit and forums are not exempt. The old Codex cannot exist under these circumstances. Just like you can't release Fallout today because you can shoot kids in the back of the head.

Finally, before you mention 'ye olde Codex' again, remember you are an exposed Obsidian shill and literal decline enabler.

• Brofist x 14
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Morpheus Kitami Learned

Morpheus Kitami
    While its easy to miss on the 'dex, just so many places on the wider internet are overrun with SJWs. The kind of places where they'll hunt down and pester non-stop anyone they think is guilty of wrongthink, let alone saying something as horrible as their enemies believe they're the heroes. I've seen people driven off those sites with that exact behavior. And don't think those places have it any better when it comes to badgering game devs, because I've seen Resetera drive off its share of them. Anyone "big" doesn't even bother with sites that aren't in the top 100 sites anymore, anyway. Reddit is usually as obscure as they'll go.
    I don't think the Codex is perfect, but awful people here are usually aware of why they're awful people, even if they never do anything about it. I've never found one of the "good" sites where they even briefly considered that they were the bad guy.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Sweeper Arcane Zionist Agent

Sweeper
    Aware, yes, but more importantly, proud of the fact that I'm awful.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.