Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex has gotten too edgy and has declined considerably

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by <3sRichardSimmons, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    such tolerant wow

• Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • No x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Zlaja Arcane

Zlaja
    'Decline of the Codex' is the longest running meme around here. I remember people complaining about the decline of this place 15 fucking years ago. And then new tide of complaints every 1-2 years since. I stopped giving a toss, whether true or not, ages ago. Everything is going to shit, anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Shackleton Arcane Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Fair point, perhaps 'tolerable' would have been more accurate. I think the following quote sums it all up though:

I agree with the first part, remain unconvinced on the second. I doubt deleting a few posts here and there that are just people spamming 'nigger' will cause many quality posters to rage eject and head to wherever else they could go.

^ Top  
  4. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    Because despite popular misconception, it's really hard to get rid of any particular person. First you get the "Free XYZ" campaign, which if you really want to silence means banning more people. This just makes them more determined. Suddenly the queue starts clogging up with new posters who usually play nice until they get passed, at which point it starts again. This makes you hyper vigilant. Somewhere in there you start suspecting everyone of being an alt of someone you banned. So you end up banning innocent people. People who haven't been banned yet rise up against this tyranny of increasing bans and so to gain control and stop the forum melting down into a "Free XYZ" everywhere, you ban more people. Suddenly you find yourself filtering everything trying to keep the bad people away. And your team of moderators are more than happy to ban first and never ask questions. Before long you win, but you've sacrificed so much that you've turned the forum into Resetera. And every post is about trans rights and gay pride. And why? Because someone said "nigger" on an internet forum. And yet you're still left wondering why the fuck people can't just discuss computer games on a computer game forum. But that's just it, it's all political now.

No, it's not what I'd prefer the Codex to be known for, and yes, some people here are too casually racist even for my liking. But it's a discussion forum. You're here to discuss it. You fucking retards.

• Brofist x 29
    • Salute x 5
    • Funny x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • nice x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • honk honk! x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Begone thot! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    No one's a Nazi here. We're just playing a role.

And to be frank, this was not a role we chose. It's the label others decided to give us. And like you say, "Unlike most cRPGs, real life does have choices & consequences."

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    We just wanted to play video games

[​IMG]

• Funny x 10
    • Salute x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • Yes x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Also a slight counter point to the "Only discuss the quality of the game, not politics" line of reasoning that Infinitron and others have posted.

Could you not argue that these "political discussions" are directly related to the quality of the games? Isn't this virtue signalling significantly impacting the quality of the writing? Isn't this obsession with ugly female characters negatively affecting the art design and aesthetics of a game? The frequent obsession with accessibility the complexity and difficulty of games?

A lot of subjects and themes are now completely verboten in video games. According to the woke crowd, portrayal = endorsement after all.

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur, but to me it feels as though the maturity and writing quality of video games has taken a massive leap backwards.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Maxie Arcane

Maxie
    You keep people banned for shits and giggles, get a grip

• butthurt x 8
    • Funny x 6
    • Yes x 2
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. TZ3K Arcane Patron

TZ3K
    Sounds like whats needed for moderation is not a mod squad with hammers, but a clowning squad ready to drive the worst posters crazy and into leaving on their own accord.

• honk honk! honk honk! x 8
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Alphard Savant

Alphard
    it was in the past decades since italian derives directly from latin and in latin "nigrum" means "black". As the year passed "negro" was seen progressively more as a derogatory term applied to people and was replaced by the more common form "nero". but the leftoids avoid call black people black even here and call them "persona di colore" (person of color)

• honk honk! honk honk! x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Alphard Savant

Alphard
    exactly this. If the second most important reason today to release games after profit ( sometimes even the first) is to poison the minds of consumer with leftist propaganda, you cannot expect people not comment on this pillar on wich the game was built.
    But i agree of moving all "controversial" ( aka wrongthink for the left) discussion in GD, thus avoiding the big eye of Sauron noticing us too much and close this place

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    ^ Top  
  12. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    That's a really intelligent and well reasoned post with some good points.

But to me you ultimately stick by your own kingly comrades, rather than pander to what the masses want. Even if said comrades are dropping the ball.

I'd sooner be amongst honest , racist mentalists capable of expanding my POV's on things, than have this placed sanitized and lose it's edge.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    It's the internet that declined after everything became too political, and not just the CODEX itself.

• Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. gurugeorge Arcane

gurugeorge
    Real Nazis will always respect the division of labour Crispy talked about: the game forums are for discussing games, serious business; the other sub-forums are for shitposting and amusement. This is the way.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Corvinus Arcane

Corvinus
    This is what is happening and has happened for a long time. Cassidy and Turisas are two examples, but there are more: When there was a vote regarding whether to kick Kalin off the site, there was a mass gimping of Codexers who voted against banning him. Many had zero association, like myself, and just didn't want to see another Codexer kicked at by the moderation team for no reason. The reward for the "wrong" vote was to be branded with 'Kalinist' and a text that said 'I have disgusting opinions' and also removing account privileges as well as confing them to GD for months. All privileges were not restored aftwards either.

Does this seem fair or "needed" to you?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    • Brofist x 6
    • Yes x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. just Learned

just
    i like it

• Yes Yes x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Alphard Savant

Alphard
    i didn't understood that drama , what was the reason kalin was banned? i didnt vote but i asked to unban him because i don't want anyone banned from the site ( except the ones invoking for censorship, to each their own medicine).
    this site is attractive to many, and not only conservative and right sympathizers i suspect because here you can discuss freely every topic without the tought police censoring every "wrong" word and idea. If Infinitron and other mods want to start banning people for their political idea they should know beforehand that the site will lose most of its current userbase, myself included , and will not even prosper in the new form either, because there is always reddit and resetera likes boards and forums against wich a nu heavy moderated rpgcodex cannot compete

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    Filthy Kalinists. Disgusting creatures. I ban them whenever I can.

• Funny x 12
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Racist x 2
    • :M x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • +20 Social Credit x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Niggerino Learned

Niggerino
    Yep, developers deciding to make their characters ugly is political. Also nowadays they always make the barbarian/pure warrior character a woman which is also political.

• Agree x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    I don't have any problem with that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Falksi Arcane

Falksi

^ Top  
  22. Semiurge Arbiter

Semiurge
    There may be some basis on their choice though. I remember that American McGee's Alice (over 20 years ago!) got positive feedback for not making Alice look like Lara Croft below the neck. Making characters look less like wank material without sacrificing attractiveness was a good enough compromise for some time, for making games more enticing to girls as well, but now even that's not enough. Now female characters must look like wank material for lesbians instead, and only to the small minority of them that really go for butch. It's a double standard in action, don't tell me that those boygirls of The Outer Worlds don't check those boxes, they practically make gaydars explode.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Hell, not even mods. Me being a normal poster and I suspect every new posters of being alt of some oldfags I might have known.

Maybe if DU can tell us how many unique IP visits in total Codex has so we would know how many actual Codexers we have~

^ Top  
  24. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    they're purposely made ugly
    compare cassandra in dragon age 2 vs dragon age inquisition, including the developer commentary regarding her design process

Mike Laidlaw on Cassandra in DA2:
    Casper Konefal on Cassandra in DA:I:

• decline x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Virgin italian vs chad spaniard.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.