Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Codex Scoop: Brian Fargo has acquired the trademark for Torment (but not Planescape)

UnknownBro

Savant
Great finding, kudos to that. :obviously:
Personally I'm not a storyfag so... meh.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, but I have honestly more confidence in MCA, Ziets and Fenstermaker to write this sort of thing (which probably won't happen at InXile).

Including having already proven they are capable of doing so with Mask of the Betrayer. Looking at the credits of InXile's writers (regarding CRPG) not so much except for Colin.....

Edit: Nothing against InXile, of course. Just saying.

Yip, I get what you're saying. Obsidian has some impressive people in place. And I do genuinely hope they'll share some resources. The two studios seem to be pretty tight so hopefully they can do a bit of dev-swapping on occasion, like MCA working on WL2. I'd certainly dig a Fenstermaker-written section for a new Torment.

Hopefully inXile's team can convince you they have the quality in-house to pull it off. I think they do, though it's an open question how one feels about Fargo hiring people who are book writers rather than game writers to work on these things. I'm fine with it as long as you have strong designers/producers to balance it out, but others may feel differently. Anyway, it is more than Colin, they do have other names that can make you go "oh, cool". Just this weekend I was mailing Colin all "he's working for you guys now? Saaaaaaahweeeeeeeeeeeet".

Can't reveal who it was about tho :P Please don't unleash Roguey on me :(

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
OH GOD, PLANESCAPE TORMENT 2. Eh, not quite.

Looks just like promoting a future kickstarter to me.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't get it. What's in it for you to be you?

I thought it was obvious: I get off on ruining it for other people.

Hopefully inXile's team

So when are they gonna tell something about it? If they put together a team already I assume they started working on something and they don't sit around with a finger up their ass.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Yeah, but I have honestly more confidence in MCA, Ziets and Fenstermaker to write this sort of thing (which probably won't happen at InXile).

Including having already proven they are capable of doing so with Mask of the Betrayer. Looking at the credits of InXile's writers (regarding CRPG) not so much except for Colin.....

Yip, I get what you're saying. Obsidian has some impressive people in place. And I do genuinely hope they'll share some resources. The two studios seem to be pretty tight so hopefully they can do a bit of dev-swapping on occasion, like MCA working on WL2. I'd certainly dig a Fenstermaker-written section for a new Torment.

Hopefully inXile's team can convince you they have the quality in-house to pull it off. I think they do, though it's an open question how one feels about Fargo hiring people who are book writers rather than game writers to work on these things. I'm fine with it as long as you have strong designers/producers to balance it out, but others may feel differently. Anyway, it is more than Colin, they do have other names that can make you go "oh, cool". Just this weekend I was mailing Colin all "he's working for you guys now? Saaaaaaahweeeeeeeeeeeet".

Can't reveal who it was about tho :P Please don't unleash Roguey on me :(

Kevin Saunders? In that case we know that he's working with InXile.

Also, we'll see. Wasteland 2 probably won't as it's not really comparable. So, I'm remaining sceptical till it's out.

Still, I'd rather they went with a original thing in the same vein. The Torment Part of Planescape was very much Chris's writing. Which may lead to disappointment and a possible worse game in the end (Due to *forced* game design goals)

Kirtai

Augur
Well, he's certainly not taking any freedoms. :roll: Personal story... as opposed to what? The other millions of personal stories?
As opposed to all the epic journeys to fight some terrible evil that is a threat to all that is with the fate of the world in the balance that devs seem so in love with hopefully.

Rake

Arcane
Why? I mean, other than "Obsidian has MCA". Studio is just a studio, isn't it more important who gets to work on it?

This. It's not that i don't trust Colin and whatever team Brian will put together, but i think a cooperation between obsidian and inXile is the better solution.Better even from Obsidian doing it alone. I trust Brian more than Feargus in management/marketing

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
Why? I mean, other than "Obsidian has MCA". Studio is just a studio, isn't it more important who gets to work on it?

Did someone say Mask of the Betrayer? Funny, I was just talking to a guy who worked on that...

Deleted member 7219

I'm relieved. Hopefully this might stop Trent Oster from getting his filthy hands on Torment.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I do wonder if this bars Oster from doing an Enhanced Edition. I mean, obviously he can't do a "sequel" of any kind, which is what I was saying in the post Infinitron linked to from a while back, but an EE? I think he'd now need inXile's permission for that, but I'm not completely sure.

I say just fuse the teams that worked on Planescape: Torment and one NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer into one monstrosity and hand it to them.

EDIT: oh, and add some guys who worked on Sanitarium's graphics. Haha. Do it!!
EDIT2: the above is all just my opinion and not hints stop looking at me so suspiciously.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter

Did someone say Mask of the Betrayer? Funny, I was just talking to a guy who worked on that...

On that note though, are you at least considering sharing resources with Obsidian/involving MCA?

Because otherwise you would seriously be better of doing something original with similiar goals since disappointment (deserved or not) is guaranteed if you market it as a PS:T *spiritual* successor. It may even hurt a potential kickstarter considering how much MCA is connected to the original game.

Not doubting your abilities, but just want to offer my opinion/perspective.

quasimodo

Augur
Inxile has shown themselves willing to go with TB combat while Obsidian went with RTwP. If Inxile does a new Torment maybe it will have decent combat

Johannes

Arcane
I do wonder if this bars Oster from doing an Enhanced Edition. I mean, obviously he can't do a "sequel" of any kind, which is what I was saying in the post Infinitron linked to from a while back, but an EE? I think he'd now need inXile's permission for that, but I'm not completely sure.

I say just fuse the teams that worked on Planescape: Torment and one NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer into one monstrosity and hand it to them.

EDIT: oh, and add some guys who worked on Sanitarium's graphics. Haha. Do it!!
EDIT2: the above is all just my opinion and not hints stop looking at me so suspiciously.
So you'd have dialogue and graphics covered... Now what about the actual game?

mondblut

Arcane
Yay for Torment with friends.

Anyway, one doesn't have to carry a Planescape logo to be set on the planes. There was a fuckton of planar splatbooks done outside WOTC under d20. "Beyond Countless Doorways" by the very same Cook and McComb, for one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Inxile has shown themselves willing to go with TB combat while Obsidian went with RTwP. If Inxile does a new Torment maybe it will have decent combat

Yeah, except Colin has said it would be "Infinity Engine style" so I dunno.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Funny thing about Planescape is that in D&D 4th edition Azmodeus became a greater deity, and literally threw the Abyss into the sun. So no more Blood War and no more Nameless One.

Problem?

asmodeus.gif

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Published for opposition, you say? And how exactly does one go about filing an opposition to the application? Hmm...
After the mark is published in the Official Gazette, any party who believes it may be damaged by registration of the mark has thirty (30) days from the publication date to file either an opposition to registration or a request to extend the time to oppose. An opposition is similar to a proceeding in a federal court, but is held before the TTAB.
Quickly, how about a Codex fund-raiser for lawyer fees to file an opposition?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom