Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Codex Scoop: Brian Fargo has trademarked cancelled time travel RPG Meantime...and also Van Buren?!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; Fallout 3 (Van Buren); InXile Entertainment; Meantime

That's right, Roguey has done it again! As you probably know, we recently learned that inXile Entertainment had begun preliminary work on their next RPG. The popular assumption was that the game would be a proper revival of The Bard's Tale, the series of "Wizardry killer" dungeon crawlers that put Interplay on the map way back in the 1980s. But now, this:

Meantime, in case you're unaware, was an ambitious time travel RPG that was in development at Interplay in the late 80s but never saw release. A resurrection of Meantime has been a popular "black horse candidate" for inXile's next game among fans, but most people thought it was too obscure for that to ever actually happen.

But now, this trademark. Once again, as was the case with Torment back in 2012, it's owned by "Roxy Friday, LLC", which we know is an entity owned by Brian Fargo. Does this mean that inXile's next game is definitely Meantime? I'm not totally sure about that - it is possible that they're just grabbing everything they might someday need before anybody else does. It could even be an elaborate put-on. But judging from what has happened before, the odds just became a lot higher.

UPDATE: Wait, what?

Okay, I officially don't know what's going on anymore.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:yeah:

I'm just glad they didn't choose to torment the poor Bard's Tale's corpse any further (unless they would've chosen for it to be a blobber, of course).

Athelas

Arcane
Now watch as all the gaming journo's demonstrate their professional standards by reporting on this news without crediting the Codex as the source.

Although it'll force Fargo to make a statement on whether or not Meantime is in the making.

I am satisfied. I have recently posted about my preferences for time travel over bards tale and Fargo listened to it. Back in November.... So I guess he has done some successful tests on the time travel as a reference point:P

:yeah:

I will definitely support this if it's Meantime. I mean how many time travelling western crpgs do we have? Inxile could really deliver here from all the money they get from W2 and Torment and especially experience that they will have by their 3rd crpg. I have high hopes for them.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoa. I was joking when I suggested Meantime in my Kickstarter comments. I mean, I hoped, but I didn't dream they would actually do it. Fucking crazy. Very much looking forward to the announcement, whatever it is, but now I'll be disappointed if it isn't this.

Visperas

Augur
Was there some kind of story for Meantime back when besides time-travel? Characters? Plot? Anything?

Diablo169

Arcane
Was there some kind of story for Meantime back when besides time-travel? Characters? Plot? Anything?
Although set in the same universe as Wasteland, and with similar engine and gameplay, Meantime was to feature an entirely unique storyline. The basic premise was that the player would travel through time, and recruit famous historical figures to the player's party. The party would attempt to repair damage caused by a similar party of time-traveling villains, attempting to alter the course of history by influencing events.

Recruitable characters would be generally limited to people who had met mysterious ends, so as to be in sync with historic events. For example, Amelia Earhart joins the party when she is rescued from a Japanese POW camp, and Wernher von Braun when he is rescued from the Soviets at the end of World War II. Each character would also have a particular specialty; Cyrano de Bergerac, for example, would have an expert fencing skill. It was never stated if the enemy characters would also be historic figures.

If you combine the above with Radiant Historia's non linear branching storylines we could have something amazing. The ability to travel back and fowards in time, and across multiple timelines? I need to lower my expectations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom