Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codexer's Buying Behaviour

How'd you buy your games?

• Always pirate, fuck the devs

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Pirate first, then buy it at full price when I like it

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Always buy a game at full price if I like it

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • Always just buy games when they go on sale

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Always preorder because I am retadred and I love wasting my money

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Pirate first, buy it on sale (the high IQ choice)

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • I haven't bought/pirated a game in years and I only replay my old favourites endlessly

Votes: 7 7.3%

• Total voters

Voltigeur

Novice
(Look, I know this has probably been discussed to death on here, but I don't care)

So, how does the average Codexer's buying strategy looks like when it comes to video games?
Is pre-ordering games prevailent on here? Are there people who regularly donate to kickstarters (which is a dumb thing to do) on here?

What's the Codex's stance on piracy? I know that people on this website like to consider it "edgy" for whatever goddamn reason, but I think it's a very helpful tool in making sure that only good devs get money, and scammers and shite devs get nothing.

For me? I always pirate first.
No.exception.at.all. All games are equal, etc.

If I like it, I buy it. On Steam or GOG, sometimes even physical copies. Most of the time during a sale, because fuck spending 60 € on a goddamn video game.

I'm not poor, and I don't live in a shithole country, but I still see no reason to buy a game at such a high price.
I'm a patient man, I don't need to always have my hands on the latest game.

Oh, and I never preorder games, and I have never once "donated" to a kickstarter, and I do not plan on changing that.
Because that shit's just dumb.

What about you, my friends?

The Decline

Arcane
I haven't pirated any pc games in over a decade. But I can also count on one hand the number of games I've paid full price for in that time. I do pirate the shit out of console games though.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Whenever I buy, I have pangs of guilt for a couple of weeks afterwards. I am 1/8 jew, so this is where it comes from I think.

Always pirate, fuck the devs
More like fuck the publisher, not devs. Devs got paid, now the publisher wants to ride on someone else's hard work using their capital.
Unless it's self-published.

Modron

Arcane
Depends will pickup quality shit on release that I want to see more of (recent acquisitions include Yakuza Kiwami 2, Detective Di, Battle Brothers' DLC, and Whispers of a Machine) and even early access quality shit (like Battle Brothers, Exanima, ATOM RPG, et cetera) but yeah mostly I am a wait for 75% off complete version of game because I don't like getting nickled and dimed.

Also preordering stuff is less retarded than morgothing (Day one purchasing stuff for you casuals) because of dlc incentives and discounted prices. Been 15 years since I pirated anything that was readily commercially available probably.

Falksi

Arcane
I never pirate, but I'm also not someone who has to have a game the second it's released. In fact nowadays, with the amount of bugs & tweaks needed on release, I'd sooner wait for a year or so after to purchase an actual working copy of the game.

So for that reason I buy pretty much all my stuff in the sales. I rack up a wishlist of around 30 games, and just pick them off as they get discounted.

spectre

Arcane
I'm buying on a sale if it's a good bargain, sometimes at full price if it's really worth it, but always pirating first.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Didn't see an option for it, but it depends on the game. I buy most games on sale, but I will occasionally pay full price if it's something that gets good reviews and looks like something I'd enjoy, or it's something I've followed a while and I want to support the devs (Like Ground Branch).

Morkar Left

Since new digital releases (at least for not indy games) cost more nowadays than a boxed copy in the past it's almost always on sale (or cheap keys from other distrubition sites). I'm not in a hurry and I have more games than I can play - probably in my whole lifetime.
Games with too much digital "extras" for preordering (almost all AAA nowadays) or too much dlc (Paradox) usually make me lose any interest. The same is true for publishers and their own store policies, too.
Games I really enjoy I consider buying drm-free if available as such (which is usually gog). Sometimes even get a collectors edition / box if available and good. Last time I did this was with ELEX!
Pirating games nowadays is too much effort for me and I actually like to give money if a game is good and publishers don't try to nickle and dime me.

"always pirate, then buy only when all the fucking endless streak of dlcs has been released, possibly on sale, depends on the quality of the product, because i don't want to play an amputee of a game".

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Buy on highest discount. I will wait years if necessary. Haven't pirated yet after starting a steam account but intend to download abandonware. Have no consoles and will emulate in the near future too, after having done so in the past.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
I was a pirate when I was broke and had lots of time.

Now I have enough money and never enough time. So, I buy on sale what people I trust (some of you even) have said was an actual good game.

Preordering and paying full price is for children and their parents.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
If I can afford it and the game looks interesting, I don't mind buying it at full price.

If I have doubts or the price is too much for whatever is in my wallet right now, I wait for a sale.

Pirate, then buy if it's worth the money. If the price seems unreasonable but the game is still worth something (just not the asked price), I may buy it if a sale comes up and I happen to remember the game.

Melcar

Arcane
I used to pirate games. However, due the increased size of modern games and their short play times I don't bother anymore. All my games I get from either GOG or Steam. Mostly Steam due to convenience and Proton, and GOG for those few older games I really want. Always wait for a sale, never buy full price. Usually avoid DLCs unless it's a GOTY or something at a discount (or a really good game).

Barbalos

Savant
I'll usually pirate first, then pay whatever price is available if I like it, when I have the funds. Full price or sale, doesn't matter, since I won't play much of a game I pirate if I don't like it and then won't buy it. And if I do play a lot or finish a game, I must've liked it enough that I don't mind paying full price. I don't play that many games at this time, so it's not a huge drain on me to pay whatever, and it supports developers of good games that I enjoy.

RaptorRex888

Learned
I haven't pirated in years, and I only buy games at full price if it advances a genre/series/developer I like (though everything I have recently supported have been financial failures, so my support might just be the kiss of death) everything else I buy on sale. Though I have made a conscious decision this year to finish my never ending backlog before buying anything new.

Too much always in those options, but I voted for always buy during sale since that's the one true for most of the time. Very occasionally I'll buy something full price, and usually if I'm going full price I'll even preorder, but it's fairly rare that a game grabs my interest enough to warrant it. How much I wait on a sale depends on the game (Usually look up some gameplay and shit) and my current backlog of similar games. For a recent example, I bought Atom RPG for only a 10% discount 'cause of the current sale despite having a bunch of fatass RPGs sitting on my chest demanding attention since I'm really interested in Atom RPG and it's cheap as hell anyway, so the 10% was an excuse to scoop it up. Probably will move it to the front of the list when the end of May patch comes, though.

I super rarely pirate stuff these days. Youtube usually works well enough for me to get a sense of if a game's of high ticket interest for me or if it's just something that'd be fun for cheap, or to skip entirely. I do still do it on occasion, last thing I pirated was Project Warlock IIRC since I wanted to check it out myself, but it's difficult to hit the sweet spot of "Something I'm interested in but don't want to wait to buy it in a sale", and I only played the first episode so I was just being a sharewarefag then. Haven't even snagged Metro Exodus even though I'm interested in it just 'cause I'm not interested enough to warrant playing it over other shit.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just buy games when they go on sale. As you get older, time between delays and game release becomes a bit meaningless. I just think back to myself as a teen pining for the release of BG2 and buying it from USA although I live in the UK and think to myself...why wasn't I out getting laid more?.

Edit: The only game I bought for full price recently (and dlc) was PK. It was worth it.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I now always pirate first unless its multiplayer. and even then I'll try to jew the price by shopping it around on key reseller websites and what not.

Between publishers overpricing the fuck out of games, bad/shoddy releases at full price, early access garbage that stays early access forever and so many more outrages of the games market in 2019, a pirates life for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom