Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Running out of minutia to waste time on. No real choice, gotta start producing advertising material for my game. Was not looking forward to this but it's gotta be done unless I want my game to die in obscurity.

GoblinGrotto

Novice
Nice graphics! Like a professional Ultima 8 look (Regardless of it's gameplay I always had a soft spot for the graphics in that game).
Thanks! No way I'll be able to match the details of that art, but I've always loved how it looks.

I was able to fix sprite draw ordering. It becomes a problem when sprites are bigger than a single isometric tile. It could be worked around if only character movement was stuck to the grid, but actually I prefer seamless movement by a whole lot.
I was looking into that as well for my game. In the end I went for this approach instead

It's far from perfect, too wide objects would still clip into tiles. But it should work for what I'm going for.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
PMoSxp.png

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
You can end the game without entering the dream world (except for the first minute, you start inside), it's kind of the hard mode though'.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The number of entries of the Dungeon Crawler Jam will be crazy, probably more than 150 and 200 is not unlikely, that's 7day-roguelike challenge levels.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
My game for the Dungeon Crawler Jam will be a tower of the sorcerer/magic tower type of game, if you never heard of it, it's very niche. Deep Rune and Myth Bearer are also inspired from the game (and that is where I got the inspiration, I never played the original game). The genre relies heavily on resource management. You try to get optimally through the dungeon, normally you replay the game a couple of times until you finally got it and win - you absolutely can play yourself into a dead end and this is intended. Optimizing your route after winning is additionally fun!

I have a Love/Hate Relationship with themes but finally came up with the idea that you play a bloodmage. The health of the character is also your mana pool and every spell you cast takes parts of your life. When you level up your life is restored. So, you die to kill, and kill to live!

There are four spells available:
- Attack
- Magic Armor
- Create Key
- Fill Experience (you can fill enemies with experience to get more when you kill them)

You start with your attack spell but with each level up you can choose another one - your strategy depends also on the order but every order should be possible but some are harder than others.

I think Dungeon Crawlers work pretty well together with this type of game but as far as I know this was never done before.

Right now, the game is playable from start to finish. I just put the first two sounds into it. I'm also happy that I have a few small overworlds which are a great visual breakup from the dungeon; visual variety was one of the problems that accompanied my development of Sonucido.

Still missing:
- more sounds
- ambience or music
- save system
- ability to restart the game
- story text
- some way to change options (basics: fullscreen, audio)
- one dialogue
- a better win screen with functionality
- a better lose screen with functionality
- (optional) german localization
- (optional) trailer
- (optional) in-game credits (I could ship it with a .txt)

jamming5.png

jamming6.png

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
My fiancee helped me with the color palette and I think this gives me an extra point for the graphics! The colors should blend together better.

:kingcomrade:

Old:

jamming4.png

New:

jamming4_comparison.png

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Less than 10 items left on my TODO list, then it's testing/balancing time. The game plays like Wizardry IV with some elements from SaGa series. It's somewhat streamlined due to time constraints, but I hope people will like it.

Fs-cpCGXgAI53qr
FtC-NWpWIA0mKg6

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Less than 10 items left on my TODO list, then it's testing/balancing time. The game plays like Wizardry IV with some elements from SaGa series. It's somewhat streamlined due to time constraints, but I hope people will like it.

Fs-cpCGXgAI53qr
FtC-NWpWIA0mKg6
Already looks more interesting than everything that our shovelware jew here has shat out in the last thee years. Can you show us more screenshots of the dungeons? Art style looks pretty gud.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Fs-cpCGXgAI53qr
FtC-NWpWIA0mKg6
Already looks more interesting than everything that our shovelware jew here has shat out in the last thee years. Can you show us more screenshots of the dungeons? Art style looks pretty gud.
No time for that, just wait until the jam is over and see for yourself.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
The day is almost over and I got quite a lot of stuff done, to refer back to the list:
Still missing:
- more sounds
- ambience or music
- save system
- ability to restart the game
- story text
- some way to change options (basics: fullscreen, audio)
- one dialogue
- a better win screen with functionality
- a better lose screen with functionality
- (optional) german localization
- (optional) trailer
- (optional) in-game credits (I could ship it with a .txt)
Additionally:
- Improved Color Palette
- Made it possible to choose no spell (to combat accidental casting)
- Added Help text
- Added the option to quit with ESC (but you need hit it twice)
- A couple other minor improvements

Almost done! Plenty of time left!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
You nailed it.

Mine is child dream themed. You can create your party of 3 from 5, and combat takes place on a grid.
The lion can make critical hits, the pirate attacks all adjacents enemies, the mage can use a bunch of damage spells as she gains levels, the firefighter a bunch of stunning ones and the astronaut buffing ones.

You can use a ration to enter the dream world (with a slightly different layout, for example at some point invisible walls become visible, candy trees appear which allow you to use ice to advance ...), and will be ejected after a while (when the children are hungry). Inside the dream world each type of character unlocks a special ability : the pirate allows you to walk into water, the firefighter will extinguish fire walls (which are effectively walls), the lion will warn you when you're adjacent to a hidden door, the astronaut jumps above holes and finally the mage will automatically decipher coded messages (they are all coded in a different way).
I made a video of playing a small part of the game :

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Added Z levels from -8 to 7, but only 0 to 2 are enabled in the editor right now. Player characters aren't meant to walk on anything but the zeroth Z level. This is unlikely to change in the future due to pathfinding, combat AI and game balance issues.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Any idea how to make this better graphics?

I know only about the Medieval Total War series.
But look this, dots are fighting dots. It looks as a real mess. Yes you can zoom in, but are who using that feature in a serious battle?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom