Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex's true top game

There can only be one. Pick your favorite.

• Total voters

overly excitable young man

Cause a vote for Fallout is considered a troll vote by felipe in 2020.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
RPGCodex official top 10 PC RPGs:

Planescape: Torment
Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role playing Game
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Fallout 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Deus Ex
Gothic II
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
It's a really hard pick here, between Desu Sex, Planetscape: Tournament, and Arcania: Steamworks and Magic, but damn, if I really have to choose only one, I'm going to have to go with the one with the augmented vision.

Even though it's not an RPG.

I would say it has mediocre combat, but yeah, the writing, immersion and C&C is why I play it.
Same, but if we're comparing PST and FO, there's no debate about which has the best combat.

What is the best combatfag RPG though? Not one in the poll would qualify. TOEE? KOTC?

Probably stuff like Temple of Element Evil, the Freedom Force games, Dark Souls, and Dragon's Dogma.

Ialda

Learned
OP's top 10 is so boring, PC Gamer is going to steal it for its next "best CRPGs of all times" article.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I would say it has mediocre combat, but yeah, the writing, immersion and C&C is why I play it.
Same, but if we're comparing PST and FO, there's no debate about which has the best combat.

What is the best combatfag RPG though? Not one in the poll would qualify. TOEE? KOTC?

Probably stuff like Temple of Element Evil, the Freedom Force games, Dark Souls, and Dragon's Dogma.

Dark Souls lol

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
At least Felipe's lists have actually prestigious preferential voting behind them.

Dramart

Learned
I like all except the Fallout games and Morrowind, never played Gothic but it seems in videos that the combat is clunky and shit, better than Morrowind but still shit.

Give the cuck tag to all the guys who don't like any of these games.

Why would someone care about a list where Icewind Dale isn't in the top 10 and Icewind Dale 2 isn't even in the top 50? I mean, COME. ON.
You're the only one who thinks those two mediocre games are caviar

Vatnik Wumao
Why would someone care about a list where Icewind Dale isn't in the top 10 and Icewind Dale 2 isn't even in the top 50? I mean, COME. ON.
Icewind Dale is basically Baldur's Gate casualized 'streamlined' for combatfags, its story amounting to just an excuse to change between different combat environments and enemies.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Icewind Dale is basically Baldur's Gate casualized 'streamlined' for combatfags, its story amounting to just an excuse to change between different combat environments and enemies.
Yet I play both IWD 1 and 2 for the story. :smug:

With the exception of Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep, BG 1 and 2 have no area that can compete with the level of detail and liveliness of the best areas in the IWD series. The tone is also completely different: IWD clearly sets a "serious" and "adventurous" tone and it manages to keep it even through its "fun parts", while it's almost impossible to take BG seriously (especially the second game).

I can see how this might not be "enough" to trump the freedom and companions of the BG series in the eyes of most people, but it's more than enough to me.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Unironically, I believe that both Underrail and Pathfinder have managed to transcend the classics.
Underrail took the combat of Fallout and refined it with a magic system, a greater variety of enemies, and far more character building options, the majority of which are viable even on dominating.
PF:KM did the same for Baldur's Gate.
Those games are pure, unadulterated, combatfag bliss.

And at the end of the day, quality of combat and character building are paramount. Storyfags need to go join a book reading forum.

It's a combination of hivemind and newfaggotry.
I wager most people posting here haven't even played IWD/2.
And if they have, they've been subverted by the storyfag elements among us.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom