Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cold Waters

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone playing this?

It's supposed to be a spiritual successor to Silent Hunter 3 and in a way I guess it is. But with steerable torpedoes of doom.

The simulation aspect is not exactly super accurate but it is pretty fun to play and makes for some tense moments as you're trying to escape detection by enemy subs, surface ships and planes.

Only about 3 or 4 classes of MURRICAN subs playable, obviously the Los Angeles class is the best with 4 steerable torps and a speed of 33 knots.

Some interesting Soviet subs there too but you can only hunt them, not play. For example Typhoon class etc. Also doesn't seem to be any actual nuking in the game which would be nice. Seems to have been on Steam for years but somehow I never noticed, hmmm....

Luka-boy

Arcane
Only about 3 or 4 classes of MURRICAN subs playable, obviously the Los Angeles class is the best with 4 steerable torps and a speed of 33 knots.
Did you miss the update that added the 2000 campaign against China with the motherfucking Seawolf class?

Anyway, the game can be surprisingly fun even not being a full hardcore sim. And while initial release was okay, the devs have made many improvements to the UI and immersion, plus they are slowly adding new vessels and campaigns. As far as I know, they are currently either working on a Soviet campaign or adding assets so players can make their own.

It's also pretty great seeing people with experience serving in US subs talk about the game and the many things it apparently got right.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Did you miss the update that added the 2000 campaign against China with the motherfucking Seawolf class?

Anyway, the game can be surprisingly fun even not being a full hardcore sim. And while initial release was okay, the devs have made many improvements to the UI and immersion, plus they are slowly adding new vessels and campaigns. As far as I know, they are currently either working on a Soviet campaign or adding assets so players can make their own.

It's also pretty great seeing people with experience serving in US subs talk about the game and the many things it apparently got right.

Just started the first campaign actually but I tried the single missions. Only up to Los Angeles there. But I heard there's a mod that lets you control Soviet subs too.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I tried this of course but couldnt get used to it. After 1000s of hours in subsims like Silent Hunter this arcade gameplay and torpedo spamming AI is simply not tolerable.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Just started the first campaign actually
Ballsy! You lack a lot of things that make life much easier while the enemy usually has pretty excellent ASW technology for the time. But you can try to have some older-school fun with the Narwhal.

But I heard there's a mod that lets you control Soviet subs too.
Yep. It works beautifully, since the game already has all the stats and equipment of those subs and the mod lets you just play as one of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom