Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Colin McComb on What's Next: A New Torment RPG?

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Same with everyone who worked on fallout but tim cain, and almost all the classic RPGs from back in the day or we'd have a lot more of them.

?

At Troika there were plenty of Fallout devs

and

After Troika Tim has been working on an MMORPG for like 6 years so I don't really get what you're saying here.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have to say that Planescape: Torment is the CRPG that I loved the most out of all the ones that I have played. But I can't feel excited about a sequel unless it deals with one certain character. I want to play the continuing adventures of Dak'kon after the Nameless One's journey to hell. Dak'kon still had a journey of self-discovery surrounding the lore of Zerthimon. If I can play as Dak'kon the fanboy in me will squee.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
so wait...he acquired the Torment IP but doesn't have the DnD stuff secure. How does that work?

Alex

Arcane
You do realize that description fits Guido Henkel himself quite accurately, right

Not that I think Moribund is right, but to be fair, at least Guido wasn't trying to.

darkling

Educated
Interesting!

If McComb is involved, I'm certainly interested in whatever is happening. Avellone is swell, but McComb co-wrote the book he worked from. His take on a sequel to PS:T would be something cool indeed.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What PST did was set the player into a fucking bizarre world, and tell a very deep personal story.

None of the original characters need to return (that tale is already told), but if that formula is used again, with great story and new supporting characters that could be pretty cool. We ALL want to romp through Sigil again, because that setting as presented in PST was just utterly fascinating and enjoyable.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I agree, but I want Vhailor to return so badly. I think he was the most original and enjoyable character ever.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
I doubt that. I think half of them would blow a goat for 5 dollars.

I thought it was telling when MCA came out to bash on rebirth of black isle. It had two former members but he said "no one I know". More than a little self serving twisting of facts.

I'm guessing that Guido's neanderthal brain is too advanced for these pathetic sapiens to comprehend. A sort of temperamental genius, uncompromising like werner herzog. He does stuff his own way, and doesn't listen to reason, accumulating enemies as he goes without realizing it.

The pitch supports this. It's clear to me if no one else the art quality is beyond superb, however he's concentrating on making the stuff at the last minute instead of on selling it to people who seem to be too plebian to comprehend how much cool stuff he's doing and how much more detail he's got then most the games.

Except the card thing, that's crap and doesn't inspire confidence.

Actually, the two former employees that have joined Black Isle joined many weeks after Black Isle became an entity again. By that time all former BI employees had already bashed it. MCA did correctly say at the time that BI had no one he knew, because at the time it really didn't.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
What PST did was set the player into a fucking bizarre world, and tell a very deep personal story.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Planescape setting was just "bizarre". Yes it was but it was also extremely rigorous and systematic in its own way. While remaining wild, fantastic and bizarre.
And beside being a convenient, thorough (and coherent !) way to link everything TSR had ever done, it had also its own, irreplaceable flavor that frankly i cannot help but sorely miss. That and Birthright.

One of the factors that influenced the creative direction behind PS:T was the teams choice to avoid RPG cliches or turn them over their head almost to the point of satirizing the genre in the same way Spec Ops: The Line did for the military shooters of our day.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Actually, the two former employees that have joined Black Isle joined many weeks after Black Isle became an entity again. By that time all former BI employees had already bashed it. MCA did correctly say at the time that BI had no one he knew, because at the time it really didn't.

This is incorrect. Chris Taylor and Mark O'Green have been at Interplay for years, working on FOOL. It took a while to "announce" they were on BIS, but MCA should have known they were at Interplay, and it's not like BIS is actually a new studio. We all knew they were, though DaC presented it as news for some reason.

Frith knows why they're still there though

so wait...he acquired the Torment IP but doesn't have the DnD stuff secure. How does that work?

Well, speaking very generally here, intellectual properties like these are separate. If I look at - say - this novel of Planescape Torment by Ray and Valerie Valesse, it notes Planescape and Torment as separate trademarks. Remember when Interplay gave all of AD&D back to Atari, but they retained the rights of "Dark Alliance". Torment's rights history is less public. When I found out what happened to the rights I was like "huh. Interesting".

Just realize this does mean, in fact, using pretty much just the name. Kind of what happened to Bard's Tale and could have happened with Wasteland if EA had been less cooperative. You can make a new Torment game, but as far as I know you can't use the content from the original, including characters coming back. TSR still owns Githzerai, after all.

Planescape is factually discontinued anyway, no? I mean, I know Sigil still exists, but if you did an AD&D: Torment 2 now, I don't think they'd offer the use of the same kind of planescape setting. But maybe I'm mistaken.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When I found out what happened to the rights I was like "huh. Interesting".

Spill the beans, NOW :fight:

Planescape is factually discontinued anyway, no? I mean, I know Sigil still exists, but if you did an AD&D: Torment 2 now, I don't think they'd offer the use of the same kind of planescape setting. But maybe I'm mistaken.

I wonder about that. Remember Icewind Dale? Chronologically the plot of that game was pre-Time of Troubles, ie, during the the timeline of first edition AD&D.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That's what I know as well. The Wikipedia article on Planescape says "Upon the release of 3rd Edition, Planescape, along with most other settings, were discontinued, although fan sites such as planewalker.com were allowed to continue to use the material and update it to the new edition. The 3rd Edition Manual of the Planes, the 3.5 Edition Dungeon Master's Guide, and the 2004 Planar Handbook also used the general layout of the planes and some of the details from the setting, including Sigil, but these are not part of the Planescape line. Similar material has surfaced in 4th Edition rulebooks, as the Dungeon Master Guide 2 includes a section on Sigil. All Planescape materials are out of print."

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Spill the beans, NOW :fight:
Word Mark TORMENT
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Providing online downloadable computer and video game programs

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Providing temporary use of online non-downloadable computer and video games
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 85617632
Filing Date May 4, 2012
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition November 27, 2012
Owner (APPLICANT) Roxy Friday, LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY CALIFORNIA 4 Fairway Point Newport Beach CALIFORNIA 92657
Attorney of Record Susan Stabe
Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Roxy Friday, eh?
http://fusible.com/2011/08/brian-fa...les-12-with-friends-game-trademarks-secretly/
Twelve trademark applications that include the phrase “with friends” have apparently been filed on behalf of Brian Fargo, the CEO of inXile entertainment.
While the trademark filings are public, it took a little sleuthing to link Brian Fargo to the applications with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, which include “Dominos with Friends”, “Sudoku with Friends”, and even “Crosswords with Friends” among the list.
The applicant for each record is Roxy Friday, LLC, whose active officers include none other than Brian Fargo.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Published for Opposition November 27, 2012

Ahahahaha. Brian, you sly dog!

RGbli.png

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Oh noez, this well-kept secret is now uncovered.

Yay :dance:Can't hide from the 'Dex, Brian.

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
I'll put up a post later about the relative importance of Planescape to the Torment story, but right here I'll say that WotC has little apparent interest in licensing Planescape. I first approached them in February, and it became clear early on that they didn't seem very interested in talking to me.

That's okay, though. Other, equally cool options exist.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Unsurprising. Sad, but unsurprising, given the status of the setting and the weirdness of AD&D licensing in general of late.

Codex, meet Colin McComb. Colin McComb, meet Codex. They'll alternately hate you passionately and love you desperately. Depends on the day of the week, really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom